We went camping first time with our baby last year when she was 8 months. She was doing fine, it amazed me how easy it was! At that time we slept in the station wagon having all the bags stowed in the tent. We were so excited that we went again and again!
This year we planned a more serious approach (buying a new tent and camping gear), so far we had 3 camping trips, (dauhgter 20 months now and wife pregnant) and it was awsome. We plan for a busy summer
From my experience:
1. Camp only in summer when night temp are above 14 degrees.
2. Keep travelling distance reasonable (max 400 km with several stops).
3. Select coastal places where the water is shallow and no winds (babies like to stay in the warm water).
4. Take the pram with you, no matter what you leave behind.
5. Stay in caravan parks with good amenities.
6. All activities: kids orientated.
7. Avoid swamps and inlets where mozzies and sand flies swarms.