Heading off on 'the big one' with kids...

Questions, answers, tips and more about camping with children and babies.

Heading off on 'the big one' with kids...

Postby healy78 » Sun Oct 11, 2009 7:01 pm

Hi! :hello:

My partner and I, and our two kids ages eight and four are starting to plan now, for our trip around the country...or specifically to no set destination, starting Julyish 2010 and going for... well until we get sick of it.

So we will be very regular annoyances from now on, as we are just starting the long road of camper or van, what brand, power or not etc etc.

What we are wondering now, is how many people have travelled long or short trips with babies in nappies, as we are tossing up how feasible it is to take along a wee one. At this point, we are not pregnant LOL...but thinking about it. We have camped alot locally with the two big kids, but never with a baby.

Any thoughts on anything would be welcomed, and HI.
healy78

Re: Heading off on 'the big one' with kids...

Postby Matilda » Mon Oct 12, 2009 9:59 am

Hi healy78,

Good luck with your travelling plans, you are planning an exciting trip around this amazing country, my family has been to the top end and Central Australia, I can higly recommend both.

When we did this my youngest was 7, so I can't help you with the baby & nappies bit. It''s all possible, probably try to be well organised and don't plan your days to be too hectic or driving too far depending on how your kids cope and how much they sleep in the car.

Happy camping and travelling

cheers Tina
Prepare and Enjoy the Great Outdoors
http://www.familyfriendlyozcamping.com.au/
Matilda
Captain Camping

Postby healy78 » Tue Oct 13, 2009 1:43 pm

Hi again,

Thanks for the encouragement. We are SO excited, but know enough to know that we don't know anything yet. LOL.

We know that we can only plan so much, but definitely want to be as organised as we can be.

We are going from SA 'up the guts' to the top end, then down the West side for starters....taknig as long as we feel like, so that's one plus...
healy78

Postby GypsyLady » Tue Oct 13, 2009 3:01 pm

Hi healy78 and WELCOME to the forum.

I suggest you have a look at this particular thread viewtopic.php?f=29&t=4298
and then wander around though the other older posts. There is a lot of info in here that you may find of use to you.

The worst day camping still beats the best day working
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby tbsin » Fri Oct 16, 2009 8:01 pm

Hello healy78. We are in the same situation as you. We have kids aged 14, 7 & 6 and will be starting from Perth in December 2010 to do the 'big lap' for a year. We'll be starting from Perth and heading over east - slowly!

Hopefully we'll have some hints to share before we start a huge adventure.
tbsin

Postby AussieSunset » Sun Oct 18, 2009 12:35 pm

We traveled with 4 kids (ages 9 to 13) for a year(1997) in a camper and an Urvan. Kids were on Distance Ed for that time. We tried to plan but ended up throwing all the plans out the window after our first stop of 4 weeks at Bargara QLD. We just went for it. Once we threw out the plans the stress went too lol. Stopped were we wanted to and moved on when we wanted to. We found that to pre book the next stop was the worst we could do as you can end up booked and paid for in a CP that is the CP from hell. We would pull up in a town and look for the best place with the best deal. Unfortunalty some CP owners frown at kids. Some tend to just want the people with no kids to pay and just sit there and be quiet. I never had any trouble with my kids in any CP's but some just look and see 4 kids and then frown thinking the worst. You can tell by their faces lol So do shop around and dont right off the lower end CP's as they are usually the best ones. Plus dont forget the free camps they save you heeps and are fantastic. Chat to other travelers you'll hear of the best spots that are going at the time.
Kids are fairly easy once they get into the swing of things. We gave each a job to do on set up and pack up and it made life a lot easier for all and fun. Our set up changed a lot over the time too as you figure things out as you go along. Just watch your weight as too much can break springs lol we did in the first few hours and cost us lol (hense 4 weeks in Bargara lol)
The main thing is to enjoy it and dont stress. Things will always work out in the end.
Enjoy your journey and your kids will too.

Heather :grin:
Life is what happens when you've made other plans. :)
AussieSunset
Blatant Padder

Postby mitza » Tue Nov 03, 2009 3:31 pm

We went camping first time with our baby last year when she was 8 months. She was doing fine, it amazed me how easy it was! At that time we slept in the station wagon having all the bags stowed in the tent. We were so excited that we went again and again!

This year we planned a more serious approach (buying a new tent and camping gear), so far we had 3 camping trips, (dauhgter 20 months now and wife pregnant) and it was awsome. We plan for a busy summer :grin:

From my experience:

1. Camp only in summer when night temp are above 14 degrees.
2. Keep travelling distance reasonable (max 400 km with several stops).
3. Select coastal places where the water is shallow and no winds (babies like to stay in the warm water).
4. Take the pram with you, no matter what you leave behind.
5. Stay in caravan parks with good amenities.
6. All activities: kids orientated.
7. Avoid swamps and inlets where mozzies and sand flies swarms.
mitza
Boy Scout

Postby sienna » Wed Nov 04, 2009 9:56 am

Hi,
Sounds like you are off on a grand adventure!
As for the baby thing, I started taking my son when he was 5mths old. What you will find is that your bub will be fine cos it's all they've ever known.
The big thing I had trouble with was bub getting ill quickly with croup. He would come down with it in a matter of hours and being in an unfamiliar place meant it was difficult for me to find a chemist. So I always carry panadol and demazin on every trip, no matter how well he is. For a little bub, panadol is all you'll be able to give them but always have it on hand.
As far as facilities go, as long as there is a decent laundry, you'll be fine. I tended to bath bub in the laudry sink cos it was big, there's heaps of bench space, and no queue for the family room which can often be left untidy. Just give the sink a rinse with vinegar or disinfectant and off you go.

You are going to have so much fun! I reckon if I took off for a year, I wouldn't want to come back :roll:
sienna
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby smiththenovice » Wed Nov 04, 2009 11:29 am

Wow, what an adventure and such a great opportunity for the kids...they will just learn so much. Can I come too? :***
smiththenovice
Captain Camping

Postby Poodle Jewel » Sat Nov 07, 2009 4:46 pm

Lots of good advice already so i won`t add but it makes me wonder why we worry about camping with kids ??? just pretend you are back in the old days with no power,shared baths and cooking on the fire, washing in the copper, we had a two bedroom house so we shared beds and mattresses, no tv for quite a few years so we occupied ourselves with games and played cards. My mother rared eight of us like this no probs.
The Lord is my shepard,i shall not want......only sometimes.
Poodle Jewel
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby GypsyLady » Sun Nov 08, 2009 8:25 am

I totally agree PJ....kids are very adaptable.....much more so than we adults
The worst day camping still beats the best day working
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby Poodle Jewel » Sun Nov 08, 2009 6:50 pm

Anyway if that`s the life style you choose start them early and get used to it.
The Lord is my shepard,i shall not want......only sometimes.
Poodle Jewel
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Return to Camping with Kids