About to start camping - need advice

Questions, answers, tips and more about camping with children and babies.

About to start camping - need advice

Postby Annette M » Thu Oct 06, 2011 3:28 pm

We have 4 children - aged between 9 and 4 and want to start camping but don't knoww where to begin. We figure going forward camping is going to be a much more affordable option for holidays. My brother thinks we should buy a camper trailer (around $5500) but not sure. Or just buy a trailer and tent? We have no gear so far so will need to start collecting. Any ideas about what to buy at reasonable prices? I don't want to buy cheap items that don't last, just reasonable.
Thanks for any hints or suggestions that you can offer. :)
Annette M

Re: About to start camping - need advice

Postby GypsyLady » Thu Oct 06, 2011 3:43 pm

Hi Annette and WELCOME to the forum. My best advice is to start reading...here on the forum as there is heaps of info for newbies starting out.
The worst day camping still beats the best day working
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby xmasbaby67 » Thu Oct 06, 2011 4:32 pm

:hello: Welcome to the forum Annette.......it's great to have new members join....

Like Gypsy said heaps of reading here but also keep an eye out for sales at camping stores to pick up some bargains.

My advice would be to start out small and add as you go so that you are not outlaying a fortune and not using half the stuff you bought.

What size tent are you after and more importantly what is your budget?

You could also rent a campertrailer to see if you like it first.

Also borrowing some stuff or picking up some stuff for free is always a way to get to know what you want.

Where abouts are you guys located???? And yes your brother is mostly right but you just have to choose your spots carefully. Like if you want to stay in Caravan Parks then you will pay alot more during the school hols and anywhere on the coast is still quite expensive even to camp....but if you get the Camps 6 book it has alot of free camps all around Oz.

Looking forward to hearing how you get on, buying stuff is great fun.

Any questions on any specific items just ask away, everyone here is only too happy to chat & chat & chat & chat.... :*** :*** :*** :*** :*** :***
xmasbaby67
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby Poodle Jewel » Thu Oct 06, 2011 10:50 pm

Start with the essentials first, and raid your cupboards to start off with,i did but now have enough to keep a box packed with kitchen stuff etc , we need to know what type of vehicle and how much room have you got,just ask everyone here i was going in Hyundai Getz had packing down to a fine art,,..Powered or unpowered site... i myself take LESS with an umpowered site otherwise you tend to take everything but the Kitchen sink...plan your meals so you take that amount of food and of course munchies...look at Gumtree always bargains on there i`m looking at the freebies.Aldis, Kmart Listening us rave on and before you know it you`ll be set..Most people upgrade as they go but if you have the $$$ to go a camper read the posts and go for it...
The Lord is my shepard,i shall not want......only sometimes.
Poodle Jewel
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby Rosco1 » Fri Oct 07, 2011 2:40 am

Maybe the ''GROUP CAMP'' could be also turned into a buy / sell weekend.......Bring along any of your unwanted / un-needed camping gear.....Some-one may be interesterd in buying it..... :armsup
THERES AN INVITE FOR YOU ANNETTE A....if you are living around the Brisbane to Bundaberg areas

Cheers
Life is not about how hard you can hit, but how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward.
Rosco1
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby GypsyLady » Fri Oct 07, 2011 11:35 am

Rosco1 wrote:Maybe the ''GROUP CAMP'' could be also turned into a buy / sell weekend.......Bring along any of your unwanted / un-needed camping gear.....Some-one may be interesterd in buying it.....

Cheers

GREAT IDEA Rosco
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby Lin » Tue Oct 18, 2011 11:14 am

I love tent camping. But the main reason why I may be persuaded to switch to a camper trailer is the packing. I only have one child and find packing for camping stressful. With a camper trailer you can have your tent, bedding, kitchen gear and some other stuff always packed. All you need to then pack is clothes and food really. Which makes getting ready much easier.
Lin
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby xmasbaby67 » Tue Oct 18, 2011 12:20 pm

I agree with you Lin....our Campertrailer has made camping so much easier and for me more enjoyable but not everyone has the budget to buy one and for us for many years that was the case.

Camping in our old Oztrail Oddessy had some really good memories and some really BAD memories but it all adds to the fun of it. We still have it and use it when we have heaps of family stay over, mostly the kids camp in it if we have xmas at our place and they still love it. The kids also still have the ancient 3 man tent that they still use from time to time.

Wonder how Annette is getting on????? And what has she bought.....shopping is the best bit... :?#
xmasbaby67
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby Poodle Jewel » Tue Oct 18, 2011 1:54 pm

Lin wrote:I love tent camping. But the main reason why I may be persuaded to switch to a camper trailer is the packing. I only have one child and find packing for camping stressful. With a camper trailer you can have your tent, bedding, kitchen gear and some other stuff always packed. All you need to then pack is clothes and food really. Which makes getting ready much easier.

Lin I have those large plastic tubs with all my kitchen stuff ,one fire lighting stuff, one of spare clothes and i keep them packed so it is really only a matter of checking everything is there,i clean it after each trip so it is fairly ready to go. So i really only pack food and pillows and blankets and dog food.
Poodle Jewel
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby Deborah P » Sun Jan 15, 2012 12:31 pm

Lin I have those large plastic tubs with all my kitchen stuff ,one fire lighting stuff, one of spare clothes and i keep them packed so it is really only a matter of checking everything is there,i clean it after each trip so it is fairly ready to go. So i really only pack food and pillows and blankets and dog food

We have just started camping and have packing issues - this is a GREAT idea!!! I'm off to buy some containers!!! Thanks for the tip :+
Deborah P
Boy Scout

Postby Poodle Jewel » Mon Jan 16, 2012 7:59 am

They are just good value Deborah,they keep things tidy, when doing day trips whack the lid on no creepy crawlies get in great to keep stuff dry if it rains too, stack them on top of each other for more room yep well worth it.
Poodle Jewel
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby Bradd » Sun Jan 22, 2012 4:53 pm

"You could also rent a campertrailer to see if you like it first."
From what i have seen of the cost of hiring a camper ... you could buy a 2nd hand one for not much more.

$5,500 would get you a pretty decent camper trailer and if kept in good condition the resale value seems to be good.
You can get a basic New one for around $3000 ( eg. http://dingocampers.com.au/onroad.htm)

We bought a 2nd hand basic camper trailer for $2800 a few years ago and I'm positive its saved me almost that much in Panadol from back pain seting up tents :p
Some national parks have long waiting lists for camping reservations.
When you have to wait a year to sleep next to a tree, something is wrong. ~George Carlin
Bradd
Camping Oracle

Postby John G » Wed Jan 25, 2012 2:28 am

We picked up a family size tent (says 10 man but its really 6) for 60% off. Keep an eye on camping stores. BCF have a members card and you can spot a special there too. Picked up a 4 shelf camp cupboard for 29 instead of 99.
Camping/gun store went out of business nearby so grabbed some stuff off them too. The plastic tubs work, but I also made some timber ones for heavy stuff.. cost me $62 each to make and you can sit on them if need be. (Using them for heavy stuff storage like camp oven etc that would suffer if put in plastic tubs)
Check garage sales. People who camped years ago and gave up often drop camping gear into sales.
Boot sales etc also.
John G
Camping King

Postby GypsyLady » Wed Jan 25, 2012 11:34 pm

John G wrote:Check garage sales. People who camped years ago and gave up often drop camping gear into sales.
Boot sales etc also.

I have sold a heap of my no longer used camping gear in garage sales.
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby John G » Thu Jan 26, 2012 12:27 pm

Brother in law picked up a one of those Army canvas tents (think green MASH tent) for $37 at a garage sale, thing is in pristine condition.. just weighs a TON. cheap 5x5 metre tent )
John G
Camping King

Next

Return to Camping with Kids