Qld law - unrestrained pets in cars

Questions, answers, tips and more about camping with pets.

Qld law - unrestrained pets in cars

Postby GypsyLady » Thu Nov 24, 2011 1:03 am

Received this notice today and thought all you Qld dog owners may not be aware of this law.

Police are cracking down on unrestrained pets in cars and as such we would like to inform our valued customers of the laws regarding unrestrained animals in vehicles in Qld.

Many of you may be unaware that there is a $200 fine for having an unsecured pet in your vehicle. There is also an additional fine of $233 for driving with a pet on your lap.

Aside from the animal being a distraction whilst the owner is driving, there is a significant risk to both the pet and the other occupants of a vehicle in the event of an accident, if an animal is unrestrained in the car.

The best way to protect yourself and your pet from an unfortunate mishap such as this is to ensure that your pet is in a suitable restraint such as a harness or carry cage.
The worst day camping still beats the best day working
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Re: Qld law - unrestrained pets in cars

Postby Poodle Jewel » Thu Nov 24, 2011 2:41 pm

Yes it has been law in NSW for quite a while but no one seems to be enforcing it,still see the poor bloody dogs on the back of utes unrestrained.Mine all have a harness each.
The Lord is my shepard,i shall not want......only sometimes.
Poodle Jewel
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Re: Qld law - unrestrained pets in cars

Postby xmasbaby67 » Fri Nov 25, 2011 1:40 pm

It doesn't take much to put a length of short chain on your ute with a dog clip.

We have both our dogs restrained when in the back of the ute (we have to lift the big old lab into the tray because he cant jump that high anymore but he loves it)
xmasbaby67
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Return to Camping with Pets