Damper?

Great camping, outdoor or general recipes for the whole family. Lets share some of those favourite recipes.

Re: Damper?

Postby Pauly » Sun Mar 08, 2009 9:22 am

For me tamper is always a heavy thing, not very tasty and not worth the effort.

My mob all love my "damper". I cheat and use packet bread mix, ad water hand mix it and your away.

Choice a rough, heavy, bland damper or a tasty light bread based damper, easy for me.
If you don't want your friends knowing its a packet one just put the bread mix into a container and tell them water yeast and flour and they'll never get one as good as yours :)
Pauly
Post Machine!

Postby GypsyLady » Sun Mar 08, 2009 2:25 pm

If it works Paul, why not???

The worst day camping still beats the best day working
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby Young Camping Family » Thu Apr 09, 2009 10:38 am

Not sure if anyone is still around before the long weekend, but I'm hoping I get a response!

I have packed the SR flour, some sachets of yeast, UHT milk and I am going to give "bread" a go on the campfire (p.s I've never made bread before!!!).
Like the OP we don't have a camp oven (yet) so I was planning on cooking it in foil in the coals.
My question is, should I wrap it/cover it in the foil so there is plenty of room to rise, or should I just wrap it to the shape of the dough? Also, should I cover it with coals or make a little trench with coals under and beside it?
Also, lastly, would it be ok to wrap a regular (non-stick metal) loaf tin in foil and use that in the coals or will it warp/melt?

If it turns out any good I'll take some pics... but don't hold your breath :lol:

Rachel.
Young Camping Family
Camping Veteran

Postby TBF » Thu Apr 09, 2009 1:37 pm

Try this when you have time...

Pumpkin Damper

Ingredients:

375 gm Pumpkin peeled and chopped
60 gm butter
2 1/2 cups SR flour
1/4 cup milk
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 cup castor sugar
1/4 cup chopped pecan nuts
1 egg lightly beaten
1/4 cup seedless raisins
A little extra milk and castor sugar

Method

Cook pumpkin, drain well and mash finely.
Combine pumpkin, egg and milk.
Sift flour and cinnamon.
Rub in the butter.
Add sugar nuts and raisins.
Stir in the pumpkin mix.
Mix well.
Turn into lightly floured board and knead.
Shap into a circle about 2cm thick.
Brush with a little milk and sprinkle with castor sugar.
Cut top with knife to make 8 wedges to 1cm deep.

Bake in a hot oven 200C for approx 45 minutes

Aart
TBF
Camping Veteran

Postby cokebottle » Thu Apr 09, 2009 2:59 pm

Anyone heard of a gluten free damper? ie: using non wheat flour, my fiancee is gluten intolerent & I make her gluten free bread every week at home, yet to try it camping, but the loaves are much smaller & would fit in my cast iron pot ;)

Michael
cokebottle
Blatant Padder

Postby GypsyLady » Wed Apr 15, 2009 8:09 am

Pumpkin Damper....yummy, looks good.

GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby Komodo » Thu Apr 16, 2009 2:51 pm

My damper always ends up more like a massive scone - I like it sweet :P

I've got to be honest I dont like true damper that much - its nice with a bit of honey and a malt sandwich but thats about it. Or as something to mop up a bit of gravy from the roast ;)

With the damper I used to make (havent made it in years and dont really remember how to to be honest - something to try when i get a chance to bust out the camp oven next) I used to serve with a bit of good jam and cream - A nice treat at the end of the day. But like I say I used to make it more like a big scone.

I've done a couple of breads and they turn out awesomely as derek has displayed (mine may or may not have turned out quite that good though). I do like the look of dereks cheese and bacon rolls though! YUM!

I'm more the baker in our relationship - kels more of a cook than me. I preffer making breads, pizzas, pies and cake type products where as kel preffers cooking - though I always get delt the meat (kel was a vegatarian for many years so I'm more of a carnivor than she is LOL)
A place I'd rather be...
Mitchel Road, Bomjinna. Central West Victoria (Jan '08)
Komodo
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby Komodo » Thu Apr 16, 2009 2:58 pm

Cokebottle - my understanding is that cornflour doesnt contain gluten (I could be very wrong though - just remembering from freinds who were celiacs). Could you replace the flour with cornflour?
I guess the only problem is getting it to bind properly without the gluten
A place I'd rather be...
Mitchel Road, Bomjinna. Central West Victoria (Jan '08)
Komodo
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby Derek Bullock » Thu Apr 23, 2009 8:35 pm

cokebottle wrote:Anyone heard of a gluten free damper? ie: using non wheat flour, my fiancee is gluten intolerent & I make her gluten free bread every week at home, yet to try it camping, but the loaves are much smaller & would fit in my cast iron pot ;)

Michael

Michael

Check this guys products out. My son was gluten intolerant so know the issues you have. You couldn't make a gluten free damper sorry but some of these products could quite easily be cooked in the camp oven using a small loaf tin.

http://stores.shop.ebay.com.au/Martins- ... QQ_armrsZ1

Cheers.

Derek
Derek Bullock
Camp Oven KING!

Postby Ozzycamperboy » Wed May 20, 2009 6:31 pm

Gave this a go the other weekend out at Weddin Mountains.

One stubby of Melbourne bitter, and about 500g of self raising flour, cooked on a tray in my camp oven for about an hour. Turned out awesome for the minimal effort required. only thing I would complain about is it could have been lighter, but I spose I'd need yeast for that.
Life's too short to be grumpy, SMILE :mrgreen:
PM me for all your window cleaning, pressure cleaning, and commercial cleaning needs!!
Nathan's Window Cleaning
Ozzycamperboy
Site Admin

Postby slug » Sun Jun 14, 2009 12:38 pm

There are obviously so many variations of the damper recipe, can anyone tell me why some have salt? It seems it isnt essential to the cooking of it, and many recipes only have a pinch, can a pinch really make that much difference to the taste?

Any thoughts?
slug
Captain Camping

Postby Derek Bullock » Sun Jun 14, 2009 3:13 pm

slug wrote:There are obviously so many variations of the damper recipe, can anyone tell me why some have salt? It seems it isnt essential to the cooking of it, and many recipes only have a pinch, can a pinch really make that much difference to the taste?

Any thoughts?

Believe it or not a pinch of salt in a three cups of flour damper can take away that raw flour taste.
Derek Bullock
Camp Oven KING!

Postby GypsyLady » Sun Jun 14, 2009 3:15 pm

My thought is that using salt is probably just a left over from days of old when everyone always cooked with salt.

I can't remember the last time I even had salt in the pantry much less cooked with it.

I do have cooking salt in the laundry for setting colours on new garments as required...eg reds & blacks.

GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby GypsyLady » Sun Jun 14, 2009 3:16 pm

Derek wrote:

Believe it or not a pinch of salt in a three cups of flour damper can take away that raw flour taste.

What raw flour taste Derek??????

GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby Derek Bullock » Sun Jun 14, 2009 3:18 pm

gypsylady wrote:What raw flour taste Derek??????

If you don't know it then it's hard to explain. Next time you cook a damper add a pinch of salt and taste the difference.
Derek Bullock
Camp Oven KING!

PreviousNext

Return to Favorite Recipes