Wee Jasper

OK so this is your home away from home right. So lets share a few of these tips and (secrets) of a great camping site.

Wee Jasper

Postby Lin » Tue Apr 27, 2010 9:55 pm

I wanted to share this with you. It is the view from my tent at Wee Jasper. On the left you can just see the guy rope that holds up my tent awning. Every morning as I got up and walked out of the tent I exclaimed "F$%^ that's beautiful!" :***
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Lin
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Re: Wee Jasper

Postby hoadie72 » Wed Apr 28, 2010 12:00 am

That's a beautiful spot - is it Grace Reserve? I've only been there once and had a BBQ near there I think.
Ben
hoadie72
Captain Camping

Postby Dettie » Wed Apr 28, 2010 12:19 am

Oh my god, that is gorgeous!
The Queen of Glamping... in my mind anyway!
Dettie
Blatant Padder

Postby xmasbaby67 » Wed Apr 28, 2010 11:29 am

Looks great Lin.

We went for a drive there a couple of months ago and it was lovely. Called into the "pub" for lunch and there was quite a few people there, mainly from Canberra. Is the general store opened up again yet?

Which campground were you camped at?

Abercrombie Caves was very similar with the little creek with stepping stones, swinging bridge etc but with more spectacular scenery with the limestone formations and it was closer for us too. If you like Wee Jasper you will also like Abercrombie Caves & there are other campsites by the river further on too which we will stay at next time, just no amenities. Sorry it's off topic but just thought you may like it too.

Glad to see you had a great weekend. :armsup
xmasbaby67
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby Lin » Wed Apr 28, 2010 12:42 pm

This was swinging bridge. We actually discovered a great spot a bit further down the road (and closer to the toilets) where we can set up our tents on the bank and then have our "entertainment area" down by the river where there's a few large flat spaces and gorgeous views. Would be nice and shady in summer too.

The general store is still not open. I should go for lunch at that pub one day. I so thoroughly enjoyed the drive there and back.

Abercrombie doesn't allow dogs, I believe? I rarely leave my pouch behind...
Lin
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby Jo&Kev » Wed May 05, 2010 2:03 pm

Nice pics Lin - thanks.

I remembered you posting that you were heading down there that weekend. Rain on Friday night and Saturday morning and the fact that we had been away for two weeks kept us at home.

I would love to buy the general store and re-open it. I think I bought the last Wee Jasper fridge magnet they had before they shut up shop.
Our blog - with bigger pics!
http://actnswcamping.blogspot.com/
Jo&Kev
Post Machine!

Postby Lin » Fri May 07, 2010 2:33 pm

The weather was gorgeous. Bit cold and windy at night (was glad I took my hoody!) but really nice during the day.

I've thought about buying the general store with a couple of friends! It's such gorgeous country there.
Lin
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby Serenity Now » Sun May 09, 2010 11:43 pm

Looks great here so awe are heading here in winter school hols hope its not too cold.
Serenity Now
Camping Veteran

Postby GypsyLady » Mon May 10, 2010 7:44 am

Serenity Now wrote:Looks great here so awe are heading here in winter school hols hope its not too cold.

Rug up with thermals, ugg boots, beanies and a good jacket and you will be fine. Oh and don't forget the hot water bottles.
The worst day camping still beats the best day working
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby Lin » Mon May 10, 2010 1:55 pm

And a scarf or hoodie! That wind was mean cold on my neck at night.

And it's nice if you can find a spot that gets the morning sun. I had to drag my chair 50m away from our camp to find a bit of sun to sit in with my morning coffee. And it was way too chilly in the shade in the morning.

Enjoy! It is such a gorgeous spot indeed.
Lin
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby Serenity Now » Mon May 10, 2010 4:07 pm

Rug up with thermals, ugg boots, beanies and a good jacket and you will be fine. Oh and don't forget the hot water bottles.

i have all of the above but have never taken hot water bottles,so they are now on my must take list to try out for sure.
Serenity Now
Camping Veteran

Postby GypsyLady » Mon May 10, 2010 4:21 pm

Serenity Now wrote:
have never taken hot water bottles,so they are now on my must take list to try out for sure.

AND more than one...also put a cover on them, preferably lambswool or similar. Put them in the bed about 10-15 minutes before you climb in.....makes it much nicer climbing into a warm bed.
The worst day camping still beats the best day working
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby Jo&Kev » Tue May 11, 2010 2:08 pm

I'd suggest that all of that would be good advice. Driving from Yass to Canberra to work today I could not help but notice a fair sort of a frost once I got out of town! It will likely be cold down there for the next couple of months.

The days are spectacular down in the region at the moment.
Our blog - with bigger pics!
http://actnswcamping.blogspot.com/
Jo&Kev
Post Machine!

Postby xmasbaby67 » Mon Jul 05, 2010 2:29 pm

Just thought I would put this up here if anyone was interested in entering. They have a facebook site which I am a member of so I have put a copy of the email I got today and will also attach their facebook link. Some really gorgeous photos have been posted already!!! :armsup

Kate Doust Howarth sent a message to the members of Friends of Wee Jasper Reserves.
July 3, 2010 at 8:45am
Subject: WIN WIN WIN WIN WIN @ Wee Jasper
WIN WIN WIN WIN WIN WIN WIN WIN WIN WIN WIN!

Two nights free camping for four adults or four nights camping for two adults - you choose (to be used by 31 December 2010).

Post your best photos to this Group of people enjoying their camping experience at one of the Wee Jasper Reserves - bushwalking, enjoying the river, relaxing, family shots, caving, etc....

Winning entry will be chosen on 16 July 2010 - please be sensible, images must be suitable for general viewing and no 'party' shots. Please only post photos that you are happy for us to use in promotional material.

To post photos to the group - go to the photos section in the left hand column - click on SEE ALL then click on ADD PHOTOS.

http://www.facebook.com/?tid=1526495445680&sk=messages#!/group.php?gid=62975301189
xmasbaby67
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby Lin » Mon Jul 05, 2010 2:47 pm

Thanks for reminding me. I don't really care much about winning, but I'll post my photos on the page.
Lin
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Next

Return to Show Us Your Campsite