Gordon Country Sept '10

OK so this is your home away from home right. So lets share a few of these tips and (secrets) of a great camping site.

Gordon Country Sept '10

Postby donnao » Sat Oct 02, 2010 4:34 pm

Had a wonderful week at Gordon Country. Three families, seven kids (3 X 5yrs Boys 4 X 3yrs Girls), 2 dogs, 2 camper trailers & 1 tent.
September 128b.jpg

September 180b.jpg

Great spot to go. Weather was overcast for much of the week, rained quite heavy Monday night but the days were great. DEFINITELY going again!

(eta. My old userid didnt come across for some weird reason, I was doakley previously)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
donnao

Re: Gordon Country Sept '10

Postby stevo. » Sat Oct 02, 2010 6:10 pm

Go the pics!! awesome stuff. Looks like a great camp! Makin me jealous!

That's a lot of guy ropes out there, i'd be havin a few drinks and trippin over a lot :lol:

You can probably slavage your old username if you have a look at the "forum rules questions and comments" section. See the bugs thread.
my dodgy blog www.shackers.net
stevo.
There is no conspiracy here....

Postby GypsyLady » Sat Oct 02, 2010 6:55 pm

donnao wrote:(eta. My old userid didnt come across for some weird reason, I was doakley previously)

PM AD (Andrew) and he will sort it for you doakley....
The worst day camping still beats the best day working
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby GypsyLady » Sat Oct 02, 2010 6:56 pm

donnao wrote:Had a wonderful week at Gordon Country.

Which campground did you stay at doakley and what is the situation with firewood??
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby Chicky Babe » Sat Oct 02, 2010 7:40 pm

donnao wrote:Had a wonderful week at Gordon Country. Three families, seven kids (3 X 5yrs Boys 4 X 3yrs Girls), 2 dogs, 2 camper trailers & 1 tent.
September 128b.jpg

September 180b.jpg

Great spot to go. Weather was overcast for much of the week, rained quite heavy Monday night but the days were great. DEFINITELY going again!

(eta. My old userid didnt come across for some weird reason, I was doakley previously)

Hi Donnao....Aaaahhhh...memories...glad you liked GC...been camping there 6 yrs now...my all time favourite spot...is that the camp near the 4wd track? How much exploring did you do?
cheers
Chick
Chicky Babe
Camping Veteran

Postby stevo. » Sat Oct 02, 2010 7:49 pm

We camped there, umm maybe around 2000? was ok, did a couple of tracks up in the hills behind the camp area on the private property, wasn;t anything exciting but was nice country, we did a drive up to the National Park area, was a nice walk through the rain forest.
my dodgy blog www.shackers.net
stevo.
There is no conspiracy here....

Postby GypsyLady » Sat Oct 02, 2010 8:07 pm

It is quite some time since my little group went there 4WDriving and all bar one small section coming down the mountain it was all done in 2WD.

To me it is not a 4WD destination as such....certainly not in the same ball park as Janowen Hills down the road.

However, I will be going back to camp, on CB's recommendation.
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby Chicky Babe » Sat Oct 02, 2010 8:15 pm

You are absolutely right GL...doesn't compare to Janowen for 4WD'ing..they have some serious tracks there...I am not an avid 4WD'er just like to plod along and get somewhere nice.

I hope you like it GL...I'm scared now!!
Chicky Babe
Camping Veteran

Postby GypsyLady » Sat Oct 02, 2010 8:36 pm

Chicky Babe wrote:I hope you like it GL...I'm scared now!!

Why is that CB....I promised I don't bite.....
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby Chicky Babe » Sun Oct 03, 2010 12:06 pm

Okay...that's good then...thanks GL :grin:
Chicky Babe
Camping Veteran

Postby GypsyLady » Sun Oct 03, 2010 12:44 pm

I was down that way having a look last Sunday and have also spoken to Sandy....so all is good. (I think)
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby donnao » Tue Oct 05, 2010 12:30 am

GypsyLady wrote:
Which campground did you stay at doakley and what is the situation with firewood??

WE camped across the creek a few spots down. (sorry dont know how else to describe it!!). We all have porti loos (& showers) so we dont camp too near facilities.

HEAPS of firewood around. A chainsaw would make it easier if you have access to one.
donnao

Postby GypsyLady » Tue Oct 05, 2010 12:45 am

donnao wrote:HEAPS of firewood around. A chainsaw would make it easier if you have access to one.

So...you are allowed to take the wood, are you?? I did see heaps of it along the road and wondered if you could collect it. Thanks doakley.

GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby donnao » Thu Oct 07, 2010 11:21 am

yes you are allowed to collect firewood from the ground - there is heaps around. Just not allowed to chop down existing trees :grin: .

Their website suggests taking a chainsway too.!

cheers,

D
donnao

Postby GypsyLady » Mon Oct 11, 2010 10:29 am

Just returned from GC......not at all pleased with the place and will not go back (sorry CB).

The amenities (not the vista) is what you pay your $11 per person per night for are absolutely disgusting. There was a 12 volt light in the ladies....not working....there are windows missing which makes it a bit chilly and the rain comes in as well.....great in the summer months, not so in the cooler times.

Now I am not a precious person by any means when it comes to camping....BUT if you are going to provide amenites then IMO you at least keep them clean and seviced.....

Most of the world travels in pairs which makes this campground fee $22 per night...irrespective of whether you bush camp or take advanatage of the amenities.

I camped at Black C-o-c-katoo campground. I did express my concern at the cost and the state of the amenities...which fell totally on deaf ears. I was told that the owner did not care.

There are lots of tall trees which had branches fall from them in the wet....the ground appears level but has lots of small potholes which does make it a little challenging in setting up camp but not impossible. The cattle also roam free and come right up to the camp which could present a bit of a problem when camping with some dogs.

I also noticed that people can come in during the week and camp for free as the caretaker did not come around until saturday morning and I suspect this is why the cost has been increased......the honest pay for the less than honest.

It was my intention to spend a night at Janowen Hills just down the road a bit and provide a report on it as well....however due to the very wet conditions I decided to give it a miss this time. Janowen Hills costs as per their websites is $7.50 per person per night.

GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Next

Return to Show Us Your Campsite