Tarps - a new question

Questions, comments, discussions and reviews on equipment, outdoor gear etc.

Tarps - a new question

Postby reef » Fri Mar 30, 2007 9:06 am

Hi, We have a massive canvas tent it's 24x8 and then a sunroom kind of goes on the front in the middle and adds another 10x8, its a Boots Citadel.
Just want to know, I want to put a tarp over the top and should we go for one that just covers the roof or should I go for a bigger one that kind of makes some eaves over the window.
Beach, Surf, Family and Fun - pure bliss
reef
Captain Camping

Postby Scolers » Fri Mar 30, 2007 10:30 am

If you can afford to get a larger one it would be better both for shade and keeping hte rain off.

Cheers ...

Scol.
Scolers
Apprentice Grey Nomad

Postby Komodo » Fri Mar 30, 2007 10:49 am

Agreed

You going Poly or Canvas Tarp?
A place I'd rather be...
Mitchel Road, Bomjinna. Central West Victoria (Jan '08)
Komodo
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby reef » Fri Mar 30, 2007 8:27 pm

I was looking at poly - the ultrarig one made by oztrail - looking at 16x30 I obviously need 4 million poles and ropes with that size. Why ? is canvas better cause the tent is canvas and where do you get canvas tarps - never heard of them. Thanks for all the great help ! My hubby dosen't care about the camping bit - he's got his boat (1st wife) and fishing and the ocean, I'm the one who looks after the camping side and the kids so I need all the help I can get !
Beach, Surf, Family and Fun - pure bliss
reef
Captain Camping

Postby garbage » Sat Mar 31, 2007 6:19 am

Canvas tarps are heavier so don't flap in the wind as much as the polys. A lot more expensive though and heavier. I bought a 1.8m x 6m sheet of canvas off Ebay and had it customised as an awning for my touring tent through a tarp manufacturer that does work for one of the major camping stores.
garbage
Camping Veteran

Postby Kramer » Sat Mar 31, 2007 10:49 am

Yeah canvas that size would be really heavy, I would go plastic/poly.
All Your Beers Are Belong To Us!
http://www.Tour-Oz.net
Kramer
Tree-climbing Mountain Goat

Postby Komodo@home » Sun Apr 01, 2007 10:53 pm

Canvas that size is GREAT - as long as you have about 4 able and fit teenage boys to help you pack it up.

I'm with the others - Go poly!
Komodo@home
Captain Camping

Re: Tarps - a new question

Postby haaksy78 » Sat Oct 18, 2008 7:42 pm

We have a 9m x 9m poly tarp and use all the required poles and ropes etc. But our problem last time was the sagging in the middle. We are looking for ridge poles but have been told that they either are not made or are going to cost us $233 per ridge pole.

Any help or suggestions would be appreciated. We were thinking of having one ridge pole in the middle of the tarp across the middle of the tent and then another one either side of that. Last year it was really windy and actually pulled the tent pegs out and sent the tarp crashing down in the middle of the night.

This year bigger pegs but what do we do about the ridge poles.

Help
Helen
Last edited by haaksy78 on Mon Oct 20, 2008 11:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
haaksy78

Postby wragee » Sat Oct 18, 2008 8:18 pm

To help hold tarps up we found a cross that goes on the top of a tent pole which I then put on a table to make high enough. The cross we bought in Gympie Never Never Camping store. Was only about $20.00 at the most and it will not go through a tarp. I have found these are the best. Hope this helps.
Carol
Ca't get enough camping.
wragee
Captain Camping

Postby JohnL » Fri Nov 07, 2008 9:51 am

haaksy78 wrote:We have a 9m x 9m poly tarp and use all the required poles and ropes etc. But our problem last time was the sagging in the middle. We are looking for ridge poles but have been told that they either are not made or are going to cost us $233 per ridge pole.

Any help or suggestions would be appreciated. We were thinking of having one ridge pole in the middle of the tarp across the middle of the tent and then another one either side of that. Last year it was really windy and actually pulled the tent pegs out and sent the tarp crashing down in the middle of the night.

This year bigger pegs but what do we do about the ridge poles.

Help
Helen

First post here....we are going camping next week to Foster. Just bought a tarp 8 x 8.5 metres. Have been scouring the net to try and find the best way to put an apex (ridge) in the tarp and found a suggestion on another forum and will give it a go. I have bought some 30 mm conduit with some T piece connections. I will drill a hole in 2 ends and fit the poles throught the holes. Then put the tarp of the top of the conduit and hold it down with the ropes.

The price of the ridge sections was about $50 but they are 2 small. The benefit of the conduit is that you can cut it to the size you want and it is not as heavy. Now I am NOT talking from experience here as I am yet to try it out. I am going to set ip up in the yard this weekend to see how it goes. I will post back the results after the trip. If I get a pic, I will post it as well.

Any one else tried this method?
Are you a Top Bloke? Do the quiz - www.topblokeday.com
JohnL

Postby HGMonaro » Fri Nov 07, 2008 10:22 am

sounds good, only worry would be the poly pipes rigidity, assuming your using it for the cross beam as well? Might pay to think about having some sort of locking mechanism (bolt thru connections) to make sure it dosen'r come apart if the wind flaps it up and down a bit. Do let us know what you come up with.

Nige.
HGMonaro
Blatant Padder

Postby JohnL » Fri Nov 28, 2008 2:12 pm

OK we got back from our trip to Hallidays point one week ago today. The weather was crappy and we left before the storm warning. Turns out it did not hit where we were staying. The park was OK but lots of bindies which is not good when you have kids. Seems the focus was for those staying in the cabins as the camping sites were pretty shabby.

The setup worked OK but will need some fine tuning.

Pros: the supports are light weight and you will be suitable if we use them along either length of the tarp with some differing configurations.

Cons: supports stuck out the back of the trailer. They are flexible bu not so much that they do not work.

I drilled a large hole and a smaller one in the end pieces so that the support would fit over the diameter of the pole but at the top only the spike would.

Pole: http://topblokeday.com/images/stories/pole.jpg
Support: http://topblokeday.com/images/stories/support.gif
Setup: http://topblokeday.com/images/stories/setup.gif

With the support I ended up tieing a rope to the back of the tarp and one to the the side - like a 45 degree angle to stop the supports moving when the wind would blow the tarp up.
Are you a Top Bloke? Do the quiz - www.topblokeday.com
JohnL

Return to Gear Guide