Powering a Waeco

Questions, comments, discussions and reviews on equipment, outdoor gear etc.

Powering a Waeco

Postby reef » Fri Apr 06, 2007 12:11 pm

We are looking at the Waeco CF110 - mainly cause there is 5 of us and do not want supermarket trips if possible. We also plan to freeze water bottles in the Waeco daily to add to our cheap Kmart esky to keep hubby's bait in (do not want pillies near my food). Keeping cost down is a major thing to us. But the big question is how I power the thing. We will caravan park it occassionally so I guess I will buy the convertor to sort the power out that way - pretty easy. But I want to natio park it etc and I'm a bit confused with the whole power thing. I have some knowledge (Dad-Rip was a sparky) but kind of don't know where to start. I only need to power the Waeco 3.6 amp hr and 2 torpedo lights 2 x 0.45 amp hr. Our car - Kia Sorento - only has the one battery. Our boat has dual batteries - but no cigarette plug but I am kind of thinking not a good idea using it cause what will we do if hubby is fishing all day. I am planning to just have the the fridge in the tent awning/sunroom and want to kind of have the campsite on it's own power source so he can take the boat and I can take car and the fridge will be powered on it's own. So how do I do that in the most cost effective way - but would like to stay away from solar.
Beach, Surf, Family and Fun - pure bliss
reef
Captain Camping

Postby reef » Fri Apr 06, 2007 12:20 pm

Might also add we are looking at the evakool fm95 - just can't decide between them - but that's another topic !
reef
Captain Camping

Postby Ozzycamperboy » Fri Apr 06, 2007 7:05 pm

Second battery in the Kia would be the most obvious answer. Could have it all installed with top notch gear for ~$700, or DIY with basic stuff and a good battery for under $500.
ARB have a Fridge that draws less than 2.~ AMPS/HR, just to throw a spanner in the works of your descisions :mrgreen: Not sure on price though.
Life's too short to be grumpy, SMILE :mrgreen:
PM me for all your window cleaning, pressure cleaning, and commercial cleaning needs!!
Nathan's Window Cleaning
Ozzycamperboy
Site Admin

Postby reef » Thu Apr 12, 2007 9:20 pm

Thanks for the info - have looked into it and the whole expense is totally off the cards. Will be sticking with the esky - actually leaning towards ice boxes - one that will hardly ever get opened for the frozen stuff and one for the fridge type stuff which the kids will open every 10 minutes to get a drink. Just have to work out the best and longest way to keep them cold and what sort - shall look up all the old posts - thanks again
reef
Captain Camping

Return to Gear Guide