Lightweight Sleeping Gear

Questions, comments, discussions and reviews on equipment, outdoor gear etc.

Lightweight Sleeping Gear

Postby WaikatoValuta » Thu Apr 12, 2007 10:54 pm

Hi all,

I am looking into buying a tent and sleeping gear for hiking (on horseback). As you can understand it needs to be as light as possible, but it also needs to be comfortable as the trip planned is VERY long.

Do you have any suggestions, on brands and what is necessary as opposed to a luxury. I have been to several camping shops and they seem to think that since the horse will be carrying the gear I can cope with a 15kg tent. This is completely not true as the horse can only carry 40kg and most of that goes towards horse feed and equipment. So I need something as lightweight as possible.

Thanks
WaikatoValuta

Postby Komodo@home » Thu Apr 12, 2007 11:54 pm

15kg tent! WTF

Look into hiking tents some of these are around the 15-3 kg range

Camping world seem to have a fair selection of "hiking" based products as do the likes of paddy pallin
Komodo@home
Captain Camping

Postby Ozzycamperboy » Fri Apr 13, 2007 9:44 pm

Komodo@home wrote:15kg tent! WTF

x2 on that one ::()

http://search.ebay.com.au/search/search ... category0=
just to give you an idea. Some are as little as 1.4 kg. Pretty darn light i rekon.
Life's too short to be grumpy, SMILE :mrgreen:
PM me for all your window cleaning, pressure cleaning, and commercial cleaning needs!!
Nathan's Window Cleaning
Ozzycamperboy
Site Admin

Light-weight sleeping etc.

Postby Jason1200GS » Sat Jun 09, 2007 6:52 am

G'day,
For camping from my canoe or motorbike I have a "Macpac" brand tent, the Nautilus model.It's a 2-man, ( but like most tents, that's optimistic )it's one man and one woman, or just one man.It has a small vestibule each end that I've used my "Trangia" metho stove in when it's been wet outside.
Very good quality, and rolls up about 250mm diameter by about 400mm length.Expensive but you get what you pay for.
For sleeping I take a "Thermo-rest" brand mattress, just can't think of the particular model names.I have two for different trips- one folds in half length-wise then rolls up to around 200mm diameter by 300mm wide, the other is around 100mm diameter by 600mm wide.
As with everything, different thicknesses are available and you have to work out where you want to make compromises- a longer trip I'd opt on the comfort side.
I also store it all in "Seal-line" brand dry bags, absolutely water proof.
Sounds like your needs and mine are the same, as far as compact light-weight portability.As I said, everything is a compromise, but you can still be dy and comfortable.
Jason1200GS

Return to Gear Guide