condensation in tents

Questions, comments, discussions and reviews on equipment, outdoor gear etc.

condensation in tents

Postby Fonty » Mon May 21, 2007 11:59 am

Any tips on how to avoid this problem? Is it just a bad tent I have or is it normal? I have done plenty of camping but am not that used to tents, having done most of mine just using a fly for shelter. Now I think I remember one of the reasons I never bothered with a tent.

At this stage I'm thinking the only way to make my hiking tent livable is to leave the front of it open always and get another fly to hang over the opening.. it's very tempting for me to ditch the tent altogether though, it would free up a lot of space in the pack. If I do that though I'd have to think seriously about returning the tent now- I only bought it last week, and it really doesn't seem like it's going to work the way it is.

I did notice when I was shopping last week that there were tent fans.. they would improve the ventilation but would it be enough? And how much would it cost me in batteries to keep one or two running all night?

Any ideas anyone? I also noticed this problem with space blankets the one time I did try one.. the condensation problem makes them definitely only for emergency uses. I guess with the space blanket you could wrap a towel over you first to keep most of the condensation off, but the tent is another matter...
Image Truth is often painful, but ignorance is never bliss.
Fonty
Camping Veteran

Postby Goannabanda » Mon May 21, 2007 11:12 pm

We leave the doors / windows open a crack near the top, even in cold weather. Open the zips just enough so that about 1 inch of flywire is visible. Has to be near the roof of the tent to work. Seems to do the trick and keeps most condensation at bay in whatever tent or camper we might be in at the time.

Try it next time, and good luck!
Please don't feed the Goanna.
Goannabanda
Boy Scout

Postby Fonty » Tue May 22, 2007 10:51 am

Thanks Goanna unfortunately that's not an option in my tents, they only zip downwards so there's no way to leave a gap at the top. And this hikers tent doesn't even have any external windows in the fly.. it obviously relies on the gap at the bottom of the fly for ventilation which is clearly not enough.
Fonty
Camping Veteran

Postby Komodo » Tue May 22, 2007 11:01 am

My tent has MASSIVE no-see-um mesh up near the roof on too sides this allowe air to get in under the fly and expel the moisture content from the tent
A place I'd rather be...
Mitchel Road, Bomjinna. Central West Victoria (Jan '08)
Komodo
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby Goannabanda » Tue May 22, 2007 3:16 pm

That's a pity about the zips and lack of fly vents. It might be worth trying to exchange your tent for one that does have better ventilation - it would save lugging a camp fan around and forking out for batteries and/or recharger.

Modifying it to include mesh and vents would be an option. However, in my mind, unless you could do it yourself, or if it's a you-beaut expensive tent, it's probably not worth the cost of doing so. Other more savvy campers may have other tips.

If all else fails, just keep everything off the tent walls as much as possible, and put something down on the floor to give you a dry "landing pad" to get in and out of bed.

Good luck!
Please don't feed the Goanna.
Goannabanda
Boy Scout

Postby sunny_coast_cpl » Mon May 28, 2007 12:02 pm

Our Denali Hiking Tent has plenty of mesh up the top for ventalation. No mositure problems for us.
sunny_coast_cpl

Postby Fonty » Mon May 28, 2007 5:42 pm

Mine's a denali too. I came very close to returning it. I dried it out which was lots of fun in my small flat.. packed it away and then considered my options. I could probably go fly-only again it wouldn't make any difference to Beren most likely. But for summer we'll probably need something more for insect protection, and I'm not likely to find anything cheaper.

I will still buy another tent-fly before we go hiking again and put that up above this tent so I can keep it open all night. Anaconda doesn't sell them seperately, I'll have to try good ol' Aussie Disposals again.
Fonty
Camping Veteran

Return to Gear Guide