Trick to storing Camp Bunks

Questions, comments, discussions and reviews on equipment, outdoor gear etc.

Trick to storing Camp Bunks

Postby s4j » Fri May 25, 2007 1:26 am

Mainly for those with Camp Trailers.......the newer style camp bunks that are just sooo hard to assemble.....can't remember which way to hold the tongue each trip....worked out that if you take off the 'don't fall out rails' and the feet rails...that you can litrally push them over with the slings and main frames still connected.....they then lay flat over the mattress....since the blankets and pillows stay on the bed..I use these to place over the end tubes to prevent chaffing on the canvas...makes the job soo much easier each trip and frees up the bag space in the box.....Ohhhh and I bought the larger waterproof mattress protector to go over the mattress and bedding so that if we pack up when the weather is damp...the canvas isn't going to make the bed damp...IYKWIM...
s4j
Camping King

Postby Troyk » Fri May 25, 2007 9:07 pm

Any chance of a couple of photos (of course when you have them out next) to get a better idea as I am keen to know. :)

I find them a bit bulky in the trailer.
Never argue with a fool! They drag you down to their level, and beat you with experience!

2007 Outlander, 2005 MODCON Redlander, 2003 DMH Overlander and four human Redlanders!
Troyk
Camping Forum trip organiser and all round nice guy

Postby Scolers » Sat May 26, 2007 12:20 pm

We leave ours up for the trip assuming we are staying in one place for a reasonable amount of time. Storing in the trailer is fine but does take up a bit of space.

My 13 y/o is designated 'camp bed putter upperer' and he does it well although he takes a while so as not to get too flusted. He often goes and grabs a drink when he's half way through putting the bed up ... sits back and looks at it ... then get's into it after 10 mins or so. Seems to be a practice by many campers wether putting up a bed or CT!

:?#

Scol.
Scolers
Apprentice Grey Nomad

Postby s4j » Mon May 28, 2007 12:36 pm

Sure will get some pics...June long weekend is our next trip...I'll do it then..... :grin:
s4j
Camping King

Postby s4j » Tue Jun 12, 2007 4:34 pm

Ok...pics as requested..HTH
[img][img]http://i63.photobucket.com/albums/h144/scrappin4joy/Bunks1.jpg[/img][/img] shows the 'don't fall out' rails removed...
[img][img]http://i63.photobucket.com/albums/h144/scrappin4joy/bunks2.jpg[/img][/img] shows the 'feet' removed and the bunks being 'pushed over'...they pivot on the cross rails..
[img][img]http://i63.photobucket.com/albums/h144/scrappin4joy/Bunks3.jpg[/img][/img] shows the flattened bunks on the bed...we use the kids fleece throw rugs over the ends of the cross rails to protect the canvas..(hmmm good thing we had 4 kids..= end rails...LOL) the 'don't fall out' rails and the 'feet' are placed on top of the bunks as well......our doona and blanket then goes on top of the lot....
[img][img]http://i63.photobucket.com/albums/h144/scrappin4joy/Bedpacked.jpg[/img][/img] then the lot is covered in a waterproof mattress protector....

Hope this all helps..... :grin:
s4j
Camping King

Postby Troyk » Tue Jun 12, 2007 7:13 pm

Thanks for that.

Had a go on the weekend trip, though I seperated the top from the bottom. ;)
Never argue with a fool! They drag you down to their level, and beat you with experience!

2007 Outlander, 2005 MODCON Redlander, 2003 DMH Overlander and four human Redlanders!
Troyk
Camping Forum trip organiser and all round nice guy

Return to Gear Guide