A question of power

Questions, comments, discussions and reviews on equipment, outdoor gear etc.

A question of power

Postby Blue Bravo » Sun Aug 19, 2007 10:02 pm

We are going away soon and will be tenting it. Most nights will be in remote areas and therefore no power. Some nights however will be in civilisation. I was wondering if I made up an extension lead with a 15 amp plug to go into the lead and a 10 amp plug to go into a power board to run a light ot boil a jug would it be safe ??
Glenn
A member of the leisure class
Blue Bravo
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby Komodo » Mon Aug 20, 2007 1:11 pm

Glenn,

is your question is relating to the fact that caravan park power poles are 15 amp sockets?

15amp sockets (female) will take a 10amp plug (male).
10amp sockets (female) will NOT take a 15amp plug (male).

Therefore a STD 10amp (2400watt) extention will plug lead into a 15amp (caravan park) socket

Other wise a 15amp (3600watt) extention lead will plug into a 15amp (caravan park) socket and a 10amp (2400watt) power board can plug straight into the female end of the 15amp lead...

On a side note personally I would get a 15amp lead from some where like bunnings - prefferable one of the newer clipsil "click" ones which have a lock feature on them - and I would get a tradies power block with an RCD - never can be too safe when it comes to 240V Mr Shocko. These have switches for each outlet (like a normal power point) plus they have a "safety switch" circuit breaker like you have on your home circuits!
A place I'd rather be...
Mitchel Road, Bomjinna. Central West Victoria (Jan '08)
Komodo
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby Blue Bravo » Mon Aug 20, 2007 10:24 pm

Hey Komodo, thanks for the reply. I guess the answer is that it would be safe to run a power board off a caravan lead.

In the camper trailer it goes through a safety switch so I was thinking of running it through a power board with a safety cut out.

Didn't think to go out a plug a 10 amp cord into the 15 amp lead to see if it would work (doh).

I got the idea as I have a small lead with a 10 amp male plug to go into domestic supply and a 15 amp female to go into the camper so I can run on domestic power if the I am stopping at someones place.

I was mainly concerned re the safety but it seems it should be ok.
Glenn
A member of the leisure class
Blue Bravo
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby Komodo » Tue Aug 21, 2007 12:13 pm

Sounds good Glenn.

Like you say it can be a pain to plug into residential power GPO (general purpose outlet) which are 10amps. Though most newer houses have 15 amp points in the shed and outside because people tend to use things like compressors.

That said - if you want some people (and yes you can include me in this) file down the earth pin on 15amp plugs so they fit into a 10amp socket. The benefit of this is two fold.

firstly you only need carry one lead
secondly you have a larger cross sectional area of copper down your lead - thus less resistance - less resistance = less heat = less current draw = less of a chance of tripping the 10amp circuit

Good luck with it all ;)
A place I'd rather be...
Komodo
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby Troyk » Tue Aug 21, 2007 6:51 pm

Komodo wrote:That said - if you want some people (and yes you can include me in this) file down the earth pin on 15amp plugs so they fit into a 10amp socket. The benefit of this is two fold.

:?: Just curious. What if you needed the full capacity of a 15amp lead? Wouldn't you get a hot spot?
Never argue with a fool! They drag you down to their level, and beat you with experience!

2007 Outlander, 2005 MODCON Redlander, 2003 DMH Overlander and four human Redlanders!
Troyk
Camping Forum trip organiser and all round nice guy

Postby Komodo » Wed Aug 22, 2007 6:06 pm

The TSA of the pin even when filed down is much greater than the TSA of the wire. Also you are only filing down the earth pin - not an active or neutral pin as such the current carrying ability (conductivity?) of the pins remains the same.

The earth pin on a 15amp plug is only bigger to prevent people plugging 15amp items into 10amp power points or leads.
A place I'd rather be...
Komodo
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Return to Gear Guide