Brakes - Override or Electric

Questions, comments, discussions and reviews on equipment, outdoor gear etc.

Brakes - Override or Electric

Postby mr_grumble » Tue Sep 18, 2007 8:49 am

I've just about finished my camper and seems I may be somewhat heavier than first expected. Have not had it weighed yet but I think it's probably over the 750kg when loaded.

I currently have override brakes fitted but I'm wondering just how effective these are when compared against electric. I'm not concerrened about having 'control' of the brakes from inside the vehicle, just breaking effectiveness.

Any suggestions ?
Image Image Image
mr_grumble
Post Machine!

Postby Kramer » Tue Sep 18, 2007 10:56 pm

Are the brakes drum or disc that are currently on the trailer as I have found the disc override brakes to be brilliant and also easy to change or fix if anything happens.
All Your Beers Are Belong To Us!
http://www.Tour-Oz.net
Kramer
Tree-climbing Mountain Goat

Postby mr_grumble » Wed Sep 19, 2007 7:28 am

No, Drum.....
Image Image Image
mr_grumble
Post Machine!

Postby Kramer » Thu Sep 20, 2007 6:43 pm

On the last trip I went on I borrowed a camper trailer which had electric drum brakes and they were not good at all, I can't comment on drum overrider brakes as I have had no contact with them for many years.
All Your Beers Are Belong To Us!
http://www.Tour-Oz.net
Kramer
Tree-climbing Mountain Goat

Postby adow » Tue Sep 25, 2007 10:47 pm

I have electric drum brakes on a camper weighing about 1500kg fully loaded with a Prodigy controller. The Prodigy has some nice features and you can adjust the braking intensity for dirt or paved roads 'on the fly'. It also works in reverse, and has a 'hold' feature when the vehicle is stationary, and you can set it so that it sends a reassuring initial braking pulse when you first touch the brake pedal. The braking power is adequate, but is not enough to lock up the wheels in dry conditions.
I like the adjustable features, and it is a lot more efficient than the override device on my old camper, which was also a pain every time I wanted to reverse the camper.
Adelaide, South Australia
Happiest where the desert meets the sea
adow
Boy Scout

Return to Gear Guide