ALDI portable fridge

Questions, comments, discussions and reviews on equipment, outdoor gear etc.

ALDI portable fridge

Postby Guest » Sat Feb 16, 2008 2:57 pm

Hi all, i just finished reading the latest aldi brochure, and it has a 45l cooler, runs on 3 power sources, for $299 :shock: This sounds pretty good, i like the fact you can run it on gas, im sure it could be a little dangerous with the gas etc, but id leave it in a ventilated area. I want one, and have been looking at camping stores and they sell for $500 plus. Is it too good to be true?? maybe bad quality.
Guest
Site Admin
 

Re: ALDI portable fridge

Postby PestMaster » Mon Mar 03, 2008 11:00 pm

Hi,
I was just wondering if you bought the Aldi 3 way fridge ?
I was going to buy one but had a bad experience buying the Repco 3 way that I decided to give it a miss
PestMaster
Boy Scout
 
Posts: 19
Joined: Sat Dec 08, 2007 12:46 am
Location: Brisbane

Re: ALDI portable fridge

Postby Galvin » Sun Mar 09, 2008 12:30 pm

PestMaster wrote:Hi,
I was just wondering if you bought the Aldi 3 way fridge ?
I was going to buy one but had a bad experience buying the Repco 3 way that I decided to give it a miss

Yep i got it, works great, im going camping over easter, all 4 days, so should be a good test.
I read in another post about how to use them properly, which i had no idea about, so hopefully i can get it going great.
Galvin
Newbie
 
Posts: 9
Joined: Sat Jan 26, 2008 11:50 am
Location: sydney

Re: ALDI portable fridge

Postby GypsyLady » Sun Mar 09, 2008 3:42 pm

Galvin wrote:
I read in another post about how to use them properly, which i had no idea about, so hopefully i can get it going great.


If you are running it on gas keep it in a well ventilated area but out of the wind or draft.

Also run it for a week or at least 3 days on 240 before you go and only put cold items into it. 3 way fridges actually work better the more you use them.

And as you have learned they MUST be level to work efficiently.
Image
The worst day camping still beats the best day working
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer
 
Posts: 8589
Joined: Wed Dec 13, 2006 9:50 am
Location: SEQld

Re: ALDI portable fridge

Postby PestMaster » Sun Mar 09, 2008 6:39 pm

gypsylady wrote:
Galvin wrote:
I read in another post about how to use them properly, which i had no idea about, so hopefully i can get it going great.


If you are running it on gas keep it in a well ventilated area but out of the wind or draft.

Also run it for a week or at least 3 days on 240 before you go and only put cold items into it. 3 way fridges actually work better the more you use them

I had a Repco unit running indoors for a week at home filled with bottles of tap water and it never reached under 8 degree C.
I thought it was funny that they included a ice block tray with the unit. :lol:
I returned it to Repco and the wanted to 'send it for repair' until I pointed out that it was not capable of doing what was claimed on the outer carton. I finally received a refund - I suspect because it was a Saturday morning with a store full of People !
Maybe others have had better results.
I will be very interested if the Aldi unit performs better. - I am a fan of the Aldi electrical products.
PestMaster
Boy Scout
 
Posts: 19
Joined: Sat Dec 08, 2007 12:46 am
Location: Brisbane

Re: ALDI portable fridge

Postby Troyk » Sun Mar 09, 2008 6:48 pm

PestMaster wrote:
gypsylady wrote:
Galvin wrote:
I read in another post about how to use them properly, which i had no idea about, so hopefully i can get it going great.


If you are running it on gas keep it in a well ventilated area but out of the wind or draft.

Also run it for a week or at least 3 days on 240 before you go and only put cold items into it. 3 way fridges actually work better the more you use them

I had a Repco unit running indoors for a week at home filled with bottles of tap water and it never reached under 8 degree C.
I thought it was funny that they included a ice block tray with the unit. :lol:
I returned it to Repco and the wanted to 'send it for repair' until I pointed out that it was not capable of doing what was claimed on the outer carton. I finally received a refund - I suspect because it was a Saturday morning with a store full of People !
Maybe others have had better results.
I will be very interested if the Aldi unit performs better. - I am a fan of the Aldi electrical products.


I have the Waeco one. Worked as well as they said it would. Even makes ice in the little tray. Works best on gas! :armsup
Never argue with a fool! They drag you down to their level, and beat you with experience!

2007 Outlander, 2005 MODCON Redlander, 2003 DMH Overlander and four human Redlanders!
User avatar
Troyk
Camping Forum trip organiser and all round nice guy
 
Posts: 1285
Joined: Wed Apr 25, 2007 1:47 pm
Location: Somewhere Else!

Re: ALDI portable fridge

Postby GypsyLady » Sun Mar 09, 2008 7:39 pm

PestMaster wrote:I had a Repco unit running indoors for a week at home filled with bottles of tap water and it never reached under 8 degree C.
.


I have 2 friends who have Repco fridges and both are very happy with them. One in particular certainly gets below 8 degrees but it is susceptible to being unlevel and drafty conditions. Once that is under control it works quite well. We have definitely had it down to 4 degrees.

Maybe PM you got a 'dud' to start with.
Last edited by GypsyLady on Sun Mar 09, 2008 7:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Image
The worst day camping still beats the best day working
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer
 
Posts: 8589
Joined: Wed Dec 13, 2006 9:50 am
Location: SEQld

Re: ALDI portable fridge

Postby GypsyLady » Sun Mar 09, 2008 7:44 pm

Troyk wrote:
I have the Waeco one. Worked as well as they said it would. Even makes ice in the little tray. Works best on gas! :armsup


The first fridge I ever bought was a 3 way 50 litre Gaslec and it too used to make ice cubes but again susceptible to not being level.
Image
The worst day camping still beats the best day working
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer
 
Posts: 8589
Joined: Wed Dec 13, 2006 9:50 am
Location: SEQld

Re: ALDI portable fridge

Postby Jo&Kev » Sun Sep 14, 2008 9:04 am

I have a little K-Mart 3-way that looks remarkably similar to the Aldi one... I think I even paid about the same for it. It's not huge, and not a freezer, but it keeps the stuff cold and fresh that we want kept cold and fresh.

About a week before heading off we fire it up on 240V with a few cans of... coke in it. We keep it in the vehicle on 12V until we get to our campsite. When I put the socket in the back for it I put in a 3-way toggle switch so that I can either turn the 12V off, on with ignition, or on all of the time. If we are doing a day trip we put it to all the time, so we can stop and have a walk around without the fridge turning into an esky. If it going to be left in the vehicle for a few days I switch over to ignition, so the fridge can play esky and not flatten the battery.

Depending where we are staying we either run on 240V at a powered site, or LPG if unpowered. We try to use powered sites most of the time. It does work better on LPG than either version of electricity, but the cooker and the good old gas lamp are mainly what the gas is for. Maybe I should invest in a second bottle...

At the end of the day, if you are not looking to take a months worth of ice cream, the one I have is adequate for a couple of people for a couple of days.

Kevin
Our blog - with bigger pics!
http://actnswcamping.blogspot.com/
Jo&Kev
Post Machine!
 
Posts: 202
Joined: Sat Aug 30, 2008 10:50 pm
Location: Yass, NSW

Re: ALDI portable fridge

Postby GypsyLady » Sun Sep 14, 2008 9:34 am

One has to take into account the ambient temperature with these little fridges before judging them too harshly or expecting the same performance as that of a compressor type fridge.
Image
The worst day camping still beats the best day working
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer
 
Posts: 8589
Joined: Wed Dec 13, 2006 9:50 am
Location: SEQld

Re: ALDI portable fridge

Postby ozmoe » Tue Sep 16, 2008 8:19 pm

Is this the little bugger we're all talking about? Does anyone have any experience with this fridge (or manufacturer for that matter)?

Lumina 3-Way Refrigerator 45L
$ 299

45L capacity
75W power
Electricity: 240V AC
Battery: 12V
Gas bottle powered 13.7g/h (9kg bottle lasts approx 27 days)
Dimensions: 532(h) x 460(w) x 470(d)mm

http://www.aldi.com.au/au/html/offers/2827_5882.htm

They seem to have a bit of camping stuff...
3-Way Refrigerator 45L
6 Person Family Tent
Children’s Camping Set
Tent Ensuite
Portable Toilet
Camping Mat
Rechargeable Camping Lantern
Camping Stretcher Bed
Velour Air Mattress Queen Size
If you trust Google more than your Doctor, it's time to change Doctors.
ozmoe
Boy Scout
 
Posts: 13
Joined: Fri Aug 08, 2008 2:10 am
Location: Cheltenham, Vic.

Re: ALDI portable fridge

Postby wragee » Sun Oct 19, 2008 11:58 am

These fridges are made by mobicool and they have Waeco running gear. I have one i bought from supercheap and its great will keep frozen stuff frozen for 10 days on gas. I can freeze small amounts of food on the bar at the back. I recomend these especially for the price.
Carol
Ca't get enough camping.
wragee
Captain Camping
 
Posts: 55
Joined: Sun Aug 03, 2008 2:56 pm
Location: Barcaldine


Return to Gear Guide

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 11 guests

cron