Recharable Light

Questions, comments, discussions and reviews on equipment, outdoor gear etc.

Recharable Light

Postby Poodle Jewel » Wed Feb 27, 2008 8:55 pm

About 2 years ago i bought a Coleman rechargable light,nearly $80 worth from memory,once charged it is supposed to last 8 hours mine only lasts 3 and a half hours.This light has not been used on battery alot as if i have a powered site i plug it in,is it worth taking it back or writing to Coleman or do they wear out over time???
The Lord is my shepard,i shall not want......only sometimes.
Poodle Jewel
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby AussieSunset » Wed Feb 27, 2008 9:47 pm

If it's like most things that are rechargable they need to be used on battery and run down so that they then can be recharged. If you leave them on the charger all the time it resets the battery to think it dont need as much. So then it dont get a full charge.
Well that is what i have been told about rechargable anything, even mobile phones, drills and such.
Dont quote me on it though it's just what i have been told.
AussieSunset
Blatant Padder

Postby oldtrack123 » Wed Feb 27, 2008 10:52 pm

Hi
Check battery type.
If lead acid battery after 2years could be finished. I do not know about Coleman but most do not have a very good charge contol ,& usually overcharge lead acids if left permantly connected to power ,also if lead acid do not run to flat ,recharge straight after use.
If Nicad type then run to flat & fully recharge.
Did you get an instruction book?
oldtrack123
Camping King

Postby cokebottle » Thu Feb 28, 2008 8:48 am

oldtrack123 wrote:Hi
Check battery type.
If lead acid battery after 2years could be finished. I do not know about Coleman but most do not have a very good charge contol ,& usually overcharge lead acids if left permantly connected to power ,also if lead acid do not run to flat ,recharge straight after use.
If Nicad type then run to flat & fully recharge.
Did you get an instruction book?

From my expirence as a mechanic & from what they say about lead-acid batteries, they say to have them on a slow trickle charge & never let them go flat.

Nicad batteries you should fully charge then flatten fully otherwise they will develop a memory effect ie: use for 1 hr then charge & after awhile it will only deliver 1hr useage.

If you remove the battery & take it into a electronics shop such as Jay-Car or Battery World etc you should be able to match it up.

Michael
cokebottle
Blatant Padder

Re: Recharable Light

Postby GypsyLady » Fri Feb 29, 2008 8:48 am

Poodle Jewel wrote:About 2 years ago i bought a Coleman rechargable light,nearly $80 worth from memory,once charged it is supposed to last 8 hours mine only lasts 3 and a half hours.This light has not been used on battery alot as if i have a powered site i plug it in,is it worth taking it back or writing to Coleman or do they wear out over time???

I would doubt that after 2 years you would get any satisfaction from Coleman PJ.

What the others have said about the batteries is pretty right. However you may be able to replace the battery, that is if it is not a sealed unit.

Good luck..

Cheers Gypsy
The worst day camping still beats the best day working
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby Poodle Jewel » Fri Feb 29, 2008 12:38 pm

The thing is it NEVER went for eight hours even when it was new,i haven`t priced the battery yet but if it is too expensive i might look at another light all together. Yes i looked at it and i get work out any opening i think it is a sealed unit.
Poodle Jewel
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby GypsyLady » Fri Feb 29, 2008 12:51 pm

Poodle Jewel wrote:The thing is it NEVER went for eight hours even when it was new,i haven`t priced the battery yet but if it is too expensive i might look at another light all together. Yes i looked at it and i get work out any opening i think it is a sealed unit.

If it is a sealed unit you will have to throw it PJ. I made the same mistake a number of years ago, bought a rechargeable lantern whilst on holiday, paid $90 only to have problems with it.

It ended up being cheaper to ditch it then go back to the camp store and follow up.

I recommend that you buy a 12volt LED light and run it from the car battery. Alternatively, before purchasing the new light check to see if you can access the battery.

Give it a super charge the first time (overnight) and then run it down before charging it again.

The one I have I discharge when I get home and then recharge ready for the next camp.

To me lights are like a mattress, spend a bit more initally and get a good one and it usually pays off in the long run. Mind you 80 bucks is not to be sneezed at, you would think that was a good one.

I also run Col Lights and Versa Lights (fluro not LED) so have a look at them so you have some idea of the sort of light I am talking about. They draw about .6 amp so will not drain your battery in a weekend.
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby GypsyLady » Fri Feb 29, 2008 2:52 pm

Poodle Jewel wrote:The thing is it NEVER went for eight hours even when it was new,i haven`t priced the battery yet but if it is too expensive i might look at another light all together. Yes i looked at it and i get work out any opening i think it is a sealed unit.

Forgot to mention that the LED will attract less bugs also and it will draw even less current then the fluros I mentioned.

There are also some flexible strip LED lights available from places like Jaycar for about $25.00. These are not as good for an overall general light be are great for inside the tent/camper, over the dinner table or stove when cooking.

The curent draw with them is from memory about 0.02amp. I have one permanently mounted inside my camper and another which hangs from above the dinner table. I also use an LED over my stove so as to reduce the number of bugs when cooking.

I know some might say they add extra flavour, but bugs in my meal do not appeal to me at all.

The fluro lights that I have are more leftovers from when I used to tent it and before I got into the LED lights.

Cheers Gypsy
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby Poodle Jewel » Fri Feb 29, 2008 5:40 pm

Thanks heaps GL that gives me an idea because i really don`t know much about lights,i do want to do some bush camping so will need something decent,i don`t mind paying for something that is good quality and is going to last. No I prefer not to eat bugs as well.
Poodle Jewel
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby GypsyLady » Fri Feb 29, 2008 5:45 pm

Poodle Jewel wrote:Thanks heaps GL that gives me an idea because i really don`t know much about lights,i do want to do some bush camping so will need something decent,i don`t mind paying for something that is good quality and is going to last. No I prefer not to eat bugs as well.

You are most welcome PJ, any time.

Have great weekend, I am off to pick up my camper, it has been back to the factory to have one of the pantry drawers fixed.

Cheers Gypsy....
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby Komodo » Tue Mar 18, 2008 5:32 pm

I would be supprised if it is a totally sealled unit.

I have 2 arlec lanterns and the batteries are about $20 from jaycar to replace (i had to replace one after Kel droped my lamp out of the back of the car and the battery dropped a cel so would only sit at 4.2V max)

The arlec lamps are about the $40-$50 marck from K-mart and IMO and one of the better ones esp value for money wise.
Also they use a standard type globe and battery so should anything happen to it it is easily fixed and spares are usually available.

As for batteries - the best way to keep them is fully charge @ or below 20c but not continuously charging - this distroys batteries as it boils them and on smally batteries like this they will boil easily.

The reason you probably arent getting the run time you expect is because most of these lamps specify around about 8 hours for ONE tube where as I think you will find yours has two tubes? this decreases the run time by around half
A place I'd rather be...
Mitchel Road, Bomjinna. Central West Victoria (Jan '08)
Komodo
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby will_deness » Tue Mar 25, 2008 3:56 pm

Komodo wrote:I have 2 arlec lanterns and the batteries are about $20 from jaycar to replace

How are the batteries from jayca, komodo? I have a few rechargable lanterns with dead batteries and havn't worried about replacing them because I didn't think the batteries if they were the same as original, would be worth the bother of replacing.
Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns, why should we let them have ideas.
Joseph Stalin
will_deness
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby Poodle Jewel » Thu Mar 27, 2008 10:18 am

Komodo wrote:
The reason you probably arent getting the run time you expect is because most of these lamps specify around about 8 hours for ONE tube where as I think you will find yours has two tubes? this decreases the run time by around half

yes, it has got two tubes Komodo
Poodle Jewel
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby Poodle Jewel » Wed Apr 02, 2008 1:42 pm

Took it back to the camp store,new battery put in for $20 he said not to let it run down keep it charged. 3 weeks hols starting today will test it out.
Poodle Jewel
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Return to Gear Guide