Two Zone Refrigerator Compartment

Questions, comments, discussions and reviews on equipment, outdoor gear etc.

Two Zone Refrigerator Compartment

Postby GypsyLady » Sat Mar 01, 2008 3:04 pm

I have just purchased a Two Zone for use atop my 40 litre Engel which I run as solely a freezer.

http://www.discountcamping.com.au/index ... f7c5c5#972

Am not 100% sure what to expect from it at this point. Have seen the 60 litre which was used atop a fridge and it was great for salad stuffs but not reliable for the foodstuffs that require greater coldness.

The 60 litre one, made it a large and bulky unit and really only suitable for static camping in my opinion.

I anticipate that the 40 litre top will still be small enough in size to use when travelling as well. It is supposed to give an extra 21 litres of basket space atop the 40 litre.

I will be testing mine out over Easter.

Cheers Gypsy
The worst day camping still beats the best day working
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby will_deness » Sat Mar 01, 2008 3:26 pm

Engel fortunately don't have any issues with warranty using the twozone. I beleive they buy the accessories from engel. Waeco on the other hand are less open regarding the warranty using the 2zone. What concerns me is the extra strain on the refrigeration unit, Using a 40L 2zone on a 40L frig must be a strain on the poor machine. http://www.svhotwire.com/engel_portable ... eezer.html , you will notice the
45L uses
Power consumption: 0.7 - 2.5 Amp
while the 80L uses
Power consumption: 0.7 - 3.6 Amps
So is the nett result trying to run a 80L frig on a 40L refrigeration unit?
Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns, why should we let them have ideas.
Joseph Stalin
will_deness
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby will_deness » Sat Mar 01, 2008 3:39 pm

Sorta dismiss the above example, the 40L extension seems to only go on the 60L frig?
Still, it still begs the question on motor strain.
Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns, why should we let them have ideas.
Joseph Stalin
will_deness
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby GypsyLady » Sun Mar 02, 2008 6:45 am

will_deness wrote:Sorta dismiss the above example, the 40L extension seems to only go on the 60L frig?
Still, it still begs the question on motor strain.

Don't believe it is too much of an issue Will when I am already running the 40 litre as a freezer anyhow so the motor is already running pretty much all the time. In fact I never run the 40 litre as anything but a freezer.

And it is not something that I am going to run 24/7 for 12 months of the year every year so I don't believe there'll be too much extra motor stain as you put it. The increase in power consumption would be the only thing I might have to watch.

I bought it from Olbis and Scott has one himself and has had it for some time and has not had any issues with his. He also has not had any back to the shop with troubles as a result of running a Two Zone.

Time will tell I imagine.
The worst day camping still beats the best day working
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Return to Gear Guide