Camping without power

Questions, comments, discussions and reviews on equipment, outdoor gear etc.

Postby GypsyLady » Sun Mar 02, 2008 2:43 pm

3 way fridges usually only run in maitenance mode on 12 volt. It is a good idea to put a bottle of frozen water in it if at all possible for when it is running on 12volt

Also good to keep in it a cool shady place and place a wet towel or similar over it to help with insulation being careful not to cover the vents.
The worst day camping still beats the best day working
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Re: Camping without power

Postby Pauly » Mon Mar 03, 2008 3:06 pm

We just use eskys and gas cooking lighting. Personally I hate Generators, fine for those using them but I dont go bush to listen to somebodys generator (or the bloody telly their running with it grrr)

We run 3 eskys for our extended trips 1 100ltre one full of ice, solid ice not hollow. 1 65 ltre for all our food and 1 25ltre for our drinks etc
We only open the 100 and 65 ltre ones at night or early morning and only when really needed. Top up the 65 with ice every 2nd day and put anything we need for during the dau into the 25ltre esky. We can go 5 days without needing to buy ice.
When we start doing extended trips I will get the fridge set up and use batterys and Solar
Pauly
Post Machine!

Postby GypsyLady » Mon Mar 03, 2008 3:28 pm

Pauly wrote: Personally I hate Generators, fine for those using them but I dont go bush to listen to somebodys generator (or the bloody telly their running with it grrr)

Hey I am definitely with you Pauly, perish the thought of a telly running when camping. I do however have a genny but would only use it as a back up when necessary to charge the batteries so as to be able to continue running on 12 volt.

Fortunately it is a Honda and one of the new generation quiet one ones. More of a purr than a grrrrrrr.

Solar is definitely the way to go but not everyone agrees with this option. Think the cost prohibits a lot of people from going solar.

Cheers Gypsy
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby CCC » Mon Mar 03, 2008 10:09 pm

I have just invested in some new camp equipment for total bush camping. Already had a 12v rechargable lantern for the tent, a couple of dolphin torches, a gas ring with camp oven (gawd Derek would kill me with the state of my camp oven :? )

We use eskies but new ice boxes are on the wish list in the very near future (before April :armsup )

New items are:

- Gasmate 3 burner gas stove with hotplate and stand ...lol and 3 gauze toasters.

- Coleman gas lantern with case that can run with propane canister or connect to gas bottle.

- Primus portable gas camp shower with carry bag.

- Oztrail single shower tent

- hand pump tap on jerry can .... lol.... those damn taps on them take forever - we camp where you need to bring your own water

- and a little black tub that fits nicely on my stove stand for washing up.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
CCC
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby Hissy » Tue Mar 04, 2008 7:12 am

Central Coast Campers, It looks like you must enjoy your toast, three toasting racks.

We are running everything on two 140 amp batteries.

Just rigged up the solar to test before heading off this Easter. Solar is nice and quiet.

Once you have camped with a good fridge then you will never go back to wet food swimming in luke cool water.
Hissy
Hissy
Captain Camping

Postby CCC » Tue Mar 04, 2008 7:29 am

Hissy wrote:Central Coast Campers, It looks like you must enjoy your toast, three toasting racks.

there are 5 of us and thought it would be quicker but now come to think of it .... whats the rush ..... we're camping :lol: :lol:
CCC
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Re:

Postby JM1375 » Tue Mar 04, 2008 9:13 am

Ozzycamperboy wrote:Don't know what batteries your using but with a dual battery setup you'd want to be expecting more than 2 days :? I've run my fridge for 2 days off my cranking battery and started fine the following morning.

Well, I'm not using anything yet, just trying to establish what is the best way of going about this. I've only just discovered that there are different types of batteries!! :oops:

I am thinking dual battery set up with gennie as backup - given that I want to primarily run a 50lt fridge and some 12v lighting, do you have a battery recommendation?
JM1375
Captain Camping

Re: Re:

Postby GypsyLady » Tue Mar 04, 2008 9:44 am

JM1375 wrote: do you have a battery recommendation?

Deep cycle batteries are the way to go IMO. I currently run 2 x 100amp hr deep cycle batteries in my camper.
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby will_deness » Tue Mar 04, 2008 9:50 am

IMHO it's a case of don't get the cart before the horse, Get the frig and build from there. Because once you get your frig you can plug it into your car and start to get a idea of what the frig draws and what the car supplies. Working off preconceived ideas or assumptions usually leads to bad ideas :?
Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns, why should we let them have ideas.
Joseph Stalin
will_deness
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby Poodle Jewel » Tue Mar 04, 2008 8:28 pm

Centralcoastcampers said

-( Gasmate 3 burner gas stove with hotplate and stand ...lol and 3 gauze toasters.)

I should of patented that idea everyone seems to be catching on. :***
The Lord is my shepard,i shall not want......only sometimes.
Poodle Jewel
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby CCC » Tue Mar 04, 2008 9:52 pm

:*** :*** Its was a good idea
CCC
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby Galvin » Sun Mar 09, 2008 12:34 pm

Hi all, thanks for the comments re. 3 way fridge. I had no idea they had to level to work properly, i will be sure to take a spirit level with me :*** Yeah i was wondering if the corrola was going to handle the power drain, ill fill it with frozen bottles of drink in case.
Thanks again, all these ideas will help me out alot.
Cheers, Galvin
Galvin

Postby GypsyLady » Sun Mar 09, 2008 3:37 pm

Central Coast Campers wrote:: Its was a good idea

Good idea, I personally think it was a BRILLIANT idea....
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby Poodle Jewel » Mon Mar 10, 2008 8:57 pm

gypsylady wrote:
Central Coast Campers wrote:: Its was a good idea

Good idea, I personally think it was a BRILLIANT idea....

Just think...when i walk around the camp sites at breakfast and see all these campers with 3 burner stoves and 3 gauzes cooking their toast i can smile and say ....I invented that!!!! :***
The Lord is my shepard,i shall not want......only sometimes.
Poodle Jewel
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby GypsyLady » Mon Mar 10, 2008 9:16 pm

Poodle Jewel wrote:....I invented that!!!! :***

That you can PJ...
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

PreviousNext

Return to Gear Guide