What do I NEED?

Questions, comments, discussions and reviews on equipment, outdoor gear etc.

What do I NEED?

Postby kabailz13 » Sat Mar 29, 2008 3:44 pm

ok so we are hoping to get away for the first time over the Anzac day long weekend for 2 or 3 nights and most likely staying in a caravan park (yep, easy way out)...

So, what do we REALLY need to take?

We have our tent and little stove covered along with camping chairs and need to organise bedding, what else do I need to find and/or buy?
Kelly & Richard
kidlets - Taylor 6yrs, James 2yrs and baby to be Sept '08

In preparation for our first camping trip! :)
kabailz13

Re: What do I NEED?

Postby will_deness » Sat Mar 29, 2008 4:02 pm

What to take above the absolute essentials( sleeping bag , mattress, stove, pot, tent) is such a personal decision. Personally I believe its better to have and not need than need and not have.others will say not having a non essential is just a inconvenience. So here is a fairly definitive list where you can add to or subtract from to your hearts desire. :P
http://www.camping.com.au/site/tips/ind ... =checklist
Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns, why should we let them have ideas.
Joseph Stalin
will_deness
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby Poodle Jewel » Sat Mar 29, 2008 4:39 pm

Go to Chit Chat and read the thread " Hypothetical " it is all about first time camping.
The Lord is my shepard,i shall not want......only sometimes.
Poodle Jewel
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby kabailz13 » Sat Mar 29, 2008 7:51 pm

Thanks for that Poodle! :)

Ok, so far we have organised the following;
sleeping bags for all
air mattresses for all (just need to remember to take an extra blanket for each to put UNDER it :)
portable butane stove with cylinders
tent - would be a bit hard without it hehe
camping chairs
rechargeable LED lantern (240V, 12V and a crank handle)
wash tub

so, I'm thinking that the rest of the stuff we can either do without or take from home (ie plastic tubs will be our tables, take cooking and eating stuff from home, already have an esky or three)

ok, seems like we are getting close to the all set stage!! :D

Other than the air mattress pump that I need to get that is! :P anyone know how much the 12V air compressors are that you can get? and where to get them?
Kelly & Richard
kidlets - Taylor 6yrs, James 2yrs and baby to be Sept '08

In preparation for our first camping trip! :)
kabailz13

Postby HGMonaro » Sat Mar 29, 2008 9:22 pm

BigW have a little 'noname' 12V air bed pump for about $15. Coleman do one for a bit more. Generally you don't want a car style compressor as they pump slowly at high pressure, however I've used one several times and you just have to pay attention and stop it at the right moment. We do have the cheapy noname one and it does a good job (plugs into your cigerette lighter)

Nige
HGMonaro
Blatant Padder

Postby AussieSunset » Sat Mar 29, 2008 10:21 pm

HGMonaro wrote:BigW have a little 'noname' 12V air bed pump for about $15. Coleman do one for a bit more. Generally you don't want a car style compressor as they pump slowly at high pressure, however I've used one several times and you just have to pay attention and stop it at the right moment. We do have the cheapy noname one and it does a good job (plugs into your cigerette lighter)

Nige

Yeah the "Avid Outdoor" ones in Big W ($15 normaly but you can get them on special for $7 like i did) are cig lighter ones and are good just remember there is a switch on them. As the first time we used ours we thought there was something wrong with the car lighter and pulled the battery out and all tried conecting wirers to the cig lighter and still nothing till we had a good look and discovered the switch lol. They are good though and pump up nice a quick really. You can always let some air out if it's too hard.
Kmart have some too, different brands same price, but i dont like their fittings. They dont seem to have the larger fitting for the big airbeds. So that is why i went for the Big W one.
Life is what happens when you've made other plans. :)
AussieSunset
Blatant Padder

Postby double_d » Sun Mar 30, 2008 8:28 pm

what about a tarp
to cover your cooking and seating area
tarp ,poles ,ropes ,pegs

daniel d
double_d
Captain Camping

Postby will_deness » Sun Mar 30, 2008 10:22 pm

kabailz13 wrote:Other than the air mattress pump that I need to get that is! :P anyone know how much the 12V air compressors are that you can get? and where to get them?

You can get the foot bellows type, they just work and nothing ever seems to go wrong with them and they are arguably as fast as the 12v types. Atually it's often a fun job for the kids.
Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns, why should we let them have ideas.
Joseph Stalin
will_deness
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby cruiser » Mon Mar 31, 2008 12:41 am

on top of you'r list should be a first aid kit.you never know what might happen.
waterproof matches,extra batteries,raincoats,Theese are thing's that should be in you'r
vehicle at all times,hope you enjoy you'r first trip away
cruiser
Camping Veteran

Postby jollyroger » Mon Mar 31, 2008 6:15 pm

All those thing are important! don't forget pillows and more urgently a bottle opener and cork screw.

What are you drinking from? :beer

You will also need a hammer to do tent pegs
A bucket just in case!
A sharp knife is always handy.
I think you are ready to camp! :+

Don't forget the bug spray too!

:?# JR
Any man, in the right situation, is capable of murder. But not any man is capable of being a good camper. So, murder and camping are not as similar as you might think.
jollyroger
Camping Oracle

Return to Gear Guide