Camper trailer kitchen

Questions, comments, discussions and reviews on equipment, outdoor gear etc.

Camper trailer kitchen

Postby neil_cricket » Wed Apr 09, 2008 1:50 pm

Hi
I'd be really interested in hearing and seeing people camper trailer kitchens. I'm looking at building one, similar to the drifta pull out kitchen and was just after idea's :)
neil_cricket
Boy Scout

Re: Camper trailer kitchen

Postby jollyroger » Fri Apr 11, 2008 8:34 pm

All depends on what you'll do with the kitchen. Our CT came with a kitchen as such. It's a large cupboard with a hole for a sink. we have a plastic tub in there to do the dishes etc.

Are you going to cook and prepare at the kitchen? Will you have an annex (thus the kitchen becomes enclosed)?

I take a BBQ with us and cook outside or under the awning. That way we keep the CT clear and free of smoke and fat.
I always boil water outside and most times meals are a communal thing outside.

I would never spend the money on a stove for the CT kitchen. But then again we had no choice and had to adapt to what we had.
The three people we know that have full on kitchens on their CT's have never used them. They are still brand spanking new and clean.
I hope I haven't confused you?

JR!
Any man, in the right situation, is capable of murder. But not any man is capable of being a good camper. So, murder and camping are not as similar as you might think.
jollyroger
Camping Oracle

Postby jollyroger » Fri Apr 11, 2008 8:36 pm

I'll take a picture tomorrow (Saturday) of ours...
Any man, in the right situation, is capable of murder. But not any man is capable of being a good camper. So, murder and camping are not as similar as you might think.
jollyroger
Camping Oracle

Postby neil_cricket » Sat Apr 12, 2008 9:00 am

Thanks JR
Yes we have an annex and we'll have a 3 burner stove on it for cooking. Don't intend on putting in a sink as that just takes up space.
neil_cricket
Boy Scout

Postby mr_grumble » Mon Apr 14, 2008 8:15 am

We invested a reasonable amount in a Drifta, and after using a few times are very glad we did.
Having bence space, especially with little ones, is a godsend.

8) Takes just 2 min at the most to erect fully.
8) Gives you somewhere to leave all the cooking things.
8) Doesn't utilise a sink as such, just a plastic tub that sits on a shelf with rollers under the tap.
:cry: Does take up 30% of the inside trailer capacity.
8) Easy to remove (for whatever reason). A couple of times I've taken it out of the trailer and put it into the back of the Pajero for various sporting events. Works a treat.
Image Image Image
mr_grumble
Post Machine!

Postby jollyroger » Mon Apr 14, 2008 5:46 pm

Mr Grumble!

That photo leads me to another question (sorry neil).
That space-hole or openeing (call it what you like) under your kitchen near the trailer foot - like mine is quite a large opening and a hard one fill. Do you have any problems with cold wind or dust gusting in there?

I have used the CT cover to plug in that gap once or twice. Especially if it's hot and dusty. A lot of CT's come with a cover (skirt) that completly blocks off the bottom of the trailer area. Not sure if it's worth it really. Nice fresh air is a must.

Have you ever found the need or want to block that area?
jollyroger
Camping Oracle

Postby jollyroger » Mon Apr 14, 2008 8:52 pm

As promised here is our CT "kitchen"

We cook outside and only prepare in the CT.

jollyroger
Camping Oracle

Postby mr_grumble » Tue Apr 15, 2008 8:00 am

Jollyroger,

Yes the gap under the trailer can be a inlet for cold, dusty etc wind.

When we purchased the walls for the annex, supplied was a piece of canvas which attaches to the black velcro you can see around the tailgate area and to thw walls. This completely seals this area.

The problem we have, and I'm still in the process of deciding which way to jump, is that the kitchen then becomes inaccessible.

The options I am toying with now are either;
1). Cutting appropriate sized holes in the piece of canvas to allow both the kitchen and the storage box to withdraw and having two canvad flaps that will roll up/down over the holes and seal with either velcro or zips.

2). Having a smaller piece that will fill the gap under the trailer that will attach somehow to the the bottom edge of the trailer and the annex wall.

At the moment, I'm probably going to go with option #2. I think it'll be cheaper to have a small simple piece manufactured that having the existing flap doctored to accomodate.
Image Image Image
mr_grumble
Post Machine!

Postby Cruzin » Tue Apr 15, 2008 8:17 pm

I have Option #1 without the holes and will definately go with Option #2 sometime in the future.

Rgds
Shane - KZN185; PolyAir Bags; Uniden UH050XR 5xWatt UHF; 65ltr Evacool & a DIY CT under construction
eBay Username Cruzin4WD
Cruzin
Camping Veteran

Postby freerocketman1 » Tue Apr 15, 2008 8:45 pm

mr grumble go with option 2
all you need is a piece of canvas & some button type clips [same as what is on wind up campers ] & pot rivert one side onto the trailer other on the canvas.
freerocketman1
Blatant Padder

Postby mr_grumble » Wed Apr 16, 2008 7:36 am

Yes, the more I think about it, the more I agree, I'll go with option 2.

Where do you buy canvas from anyway ?

Can your garden variety 'Janome' sowing machine handle sowing canvas ?
Image Image Image
mr_grumble
Post Machine!

Postby Cruzin » Wed Apr 16, 2008 8:00 am

Hi Steve,
No it can't..

You need an industrial or beefed up domestic sewing machines for the old style weighted canvas.
New style meaning the light weight products similar to canvas eg Bainbridge sail cover material etc.

The industrial mechines take thicker needles with heavier downward force to accomodate the heavier weights.

Try some of the local "Truck" shops They are always making tarps for the big rigs, also Upholster / canvas maker / shade sails / Marine products, etc in the yellow pages.

If it is for a wind break, does it need to be of heavier weight? prolly not.
Rgds
Shane - KZN185; PolyAir Bags; Uniden UH050XR 5xWatt UHF; 65ltr Evacool & a DIY CT under construction
eBay Username Cruzin4WD
Cruzin
Camping Veteran

Postby will_deness » Wed Apr 16, 2008 11:45 am

mr_grumble wrote:Yes, the more I think about it, the more I agree, I'll go with option 2.

Where do you buy canvas from anyway ?

Can your garden variety 'Janome' sowing machine handle sowing canvas ?

Most upholsterers can sew canvas
Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns, why should we let them have ideas.
Joseph Stalin
will_deness
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby jollyroger » Wed Apr 16, 2008 6:12 pm

All caravan shops know a canvas place. There would be heaps of Canvas Shops in QLD. I know we have heap here.
I would not be more than $150!
If it's more shop around. I got a quote for a new cover for the CT from the bloke that re-made my CT tent and he said $200 with ropes!
Not bad..it's not that expensive for the smaller things
jollyroger
Camping Oracle

Postby Redback » Fri Jul 18, 2008 11:16 am

This is the one i made, the legs are from those cheap saw horses from Supercheap, i cut some tent poles to slide inside them to make them adjustable.

Baz.
01 Discovery TD5 Locked & Lifted & Redback Country Camper Trailer
We swear by the Southern Cross to stand truly by each other and fight to defend our rights and liberties.
Peter Lalor
Redback
Blatant Padder

Next

Return to Gear Guide