NEW MEGA FLASHLIGHT? THE MAG 951 vs. SUREFIRE M-6

Questions, comments, discussions and reviews on equipment, outdoor gear etc.

NEW MEGA FLASHLIGHT? THE MAG 951 vs. SUREFIRE M-6

Postby watchmaker » Tue Feb 14, 2006 12:39 pm

Anybody that saw the gagetter program in chanel 5, in the UK last night saw the Surefire M-6 been used with the 500 lumens lamp. Considered the most powerful flashlight in the world it is the main tool for special forces and some units of tactical Police corps.

I purchased one not long ago with intention to make a shoot-out between it and the new MAG 951 generation II, a rechargeable flashlight the size of the Maglite 3 D but outputting the incredible figure of

951 lumens.
And for double the runtime that the Surefire gets out of 6 of the special 123's batteries.

This light also cost half of what the Surefire M-6 cost.

Here it is what it can do:

at 25 feet,

Surefire M-6 (500 lumens lamp)

MAG 951 II (Rechargeable flashlight with 40 minutes run time)(951 lumens)

And now more proper for a camping Forum, two shots at 43 yards
(Camera at 15 yards)

Surefire M-6 (500 lumens)

MAG 951 II (951 lumens, rechargeable)

I have recently seen a review of this light by CONES, of CONES-STUFF and off BRITISH BLADES.
Here is the link:

http://www.cones-stuff.co.uk/MAG%20951%20II.htm

This new MEGA light is made in the "host" of a Maglite 3 D, which means that in the case of heavy damage, a change of the Mega parts to a new shell will results in a new light.

The light is rechargeable and FREE to run.

regards
watchmaker
watchmaker
Captain Camping

Postby watchmaker » Mon Apr 03, 2006 4:58 am

I recently did a piece about Flashlights for self defence that mesh quite well with the previous post.
So here it is:

FLASHLIGHTS FOR SELF DEFENSE

As strange as it sounds, some flashlights are used for self defense quite often in daily life.
Sometimes by professionals Police Officers in a way to avoid using deadly force in confrontations with suspects, and other times by civilians that are not permitted to carry lethal weapons.

In the US we have it quite good in that we are allowed to carry short knives and some others implements but in the majority of Europe such activities are illegal or highly frowned upon by the authorities.

If you defend yourself with a baseball bat even in your own home in certain countries you have to give reason for why you have such an implement with you.

One of my flashlights that I promote in the States as the Search and Rescue 852 lumens to use in emergency vehicles such as ambulances, fire trucks, helicopters etc. because is too heavy and too long to be easily portable (it is based on the Maglite 4 D). I have found appreciative customers in the European market to be used as self defense tool by civilians that go out for a stroll or to walk the dog situations.

Other lights use others means of incorporating defense mechanisms in their construction. I am thinking now about the ARES Defense Companion, a Maglite with 3 cells that incorporates a shotgun of 410 gauge (only one picture is circulating in the Internet and I think is not in production) or the Tiger Light that incorporates a pepper spray canister, or the several models of Surefire that come with crenellated bezels (one example is the popular E2D executive Defender).

Surefire was the first (to my knowledge) at popularizing the crenellated bezel and the SureFire Institute offers a class in basic defensive tactics called “The power of Light” which is open to all qualified civilians as well as law enforcement professionals .
The course is taught by certified instructor Steve Tarani (shown below delivering a carotid strike).

My own MAG 951 II or the EXP 852 can be had with the optional heavy stainless steel crenellated bezel that I offer in a limited production run.
Such bezels add 3 ounces to the weight of the head and the bezel even that is not actually sharp will be a good imitation of the broken beer bottle.
I don’t think that an aggressor, if he is in his right mind, will confront such a weapon that first will blind him with 951 lumens and then is ready to rearrange his facial features.

Some handy accessories have been produced to increase the defensive use of the Maglite. I am thinking of a quality item made with great care and good materials called the Piggy Back; it will keep a container of Pepper spray quite handy by screwing the accessory to the end of the MAG tail-cap.

Or from the same company the accessory tail-cap with carbide insert capable of breaking automotive glass.

My own Quick Detach Swivel, when used only with the nub for the lanyard, can be very hard on skulls and noses.

This MAG 951 sports the heavy 3 inch head (the head is now out of production), more resembling a medieval mace. This is also a fantastic throw monster reaching over several hundred yards.

I have in my long association with the flashlight Industry seen a few models which spray OC from the front of the lens, flashlight that also incorporate a screaming siren, flashlights that incorporate a stun gun and others weird contraptions all of them gone from the market now.

What seems to prevail is just a good weight reliable flashlight that can be used as a baton or with the new crenellated bezels and the introduction of really powerful MEGA lights capable of blinding an assailant.

Best regards,
Watchmaker
Builder of the BOREALIS flashlight
http://www.BlackBearFlashlights.com
watchmaker
Captain Camping

Postby watchmaker » Tue Aug 08, 2006 9:49 pm

HI GUYS,

YES, it have been a name change, my light is called now the BOREALIS.

MAG Instruments (the owners of Maglite) has asked me to remove the name MAG from my light postings
It seems that it is a registered trademark.

I am compliying with their request and calling my light BOREALIS.

Thank you
watchmaker
a.k.a.
black bear
watchmaker
Captain Camping

Postby watchmaker » Wed Aug 30, 2006 9:37 am

Hi,
Clipse has done a review of my BOREALIS torch.
Here is the link:

http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=220352

Don't miss it, it have beautiful pictures an he even tell you how to build a fire with it.

Best regards to all
watchmaker
watchmaker
Captain Camping

Postby Dualux » Wed Aug 30, 2006 12:22 pm

We are not violent people here. We don't want to beat somebody to a pulp,we just want to see where we are going.
Cheers Paul
Dualux
Boy Scout

Postby amanda » Wed Aug 30, 2006 12:32 pm

Yes, interesting. It's always high on my list of priorities to have a torch that is capable of holding a cylinder of pepper spray (those possums can get mighty fierce), and who would possibly buy a torch that wasn't capable of being "very hard on skulls and noses". :$
amanda
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby Dualux » Wed Aug 30, 2006 12:37 pm

Can i order mine in 22 cal.
Cheers Paul
Dualux
Boy Scout

Postby Dualux » Wed Aug 30, 2006 12:38 pm

Can i order mine in 22 cal.
Cheers Paul
Dualux
Boy Scout

Postby just_bring_it » Wed Aug 30, 2006 12:58 pm

"the introduction of really powerful MEGA lights capable of blinding an assailant"

OMG can just imagine what would happen if my 8yr old got hold of that for a toilet trip everyone on the campsite would be blinded!!! ::()
just_bring_it
Boy Scout

Postby Ozzycamperboy » Wed Aug 30, 2006 6:52 pm

amanda wrote:Yes, interesting. It's always high on my list of priorities to have a torch that is capable of holding a cylinder of pepper spray (those possums can get mighty fierce), and who would possibly buy a torch that wasn't capable of being "very hard on skulls and noses". :$

you must be american too :lol:
Life's too short to be grumpy, SMILE :mrgreen:
PM me for all your window cleaning, pressure cleaning, and commercial cleaning needs!!
Nathan's Window Cleaning
Ozzycamperboy
Site Admin

Postby amanda » Mon Sep 04, 2006 12:20 pm

Why would I be American?????
amanda
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby randomman » Fri Nov 17, 2006 11:57 pm

no one really seems to care about bright torches in Australia, I have a few of my own and people just look at me like an idiot when I tell them about them
randomman

Postby watchmaker » Sat Nov 18, 2006 3:19 am

Spotlights Versus BOREALIS flashlight

Except for some HID’s barely portable lights like the “Beast” from Surefire (a $3,000 light working on 20 disposables batteries, outputting 2,000 lumens) and others HID’s that don’t qualify as flashlights as they are considered “searchlights” and take quite a few seconds to get them going, no other flashlight that you can get in the store can compete in lumens output with the BOREALIS 1050 lumens flashlight that is made in the 3 D format.

So the question arose as how the BOREALIS will compare with an incandescent two million candlepower spotlight.

I have a closet full of spotlights of 15 years ago, lights that plugged into the cigarette lighter of a car and at that time were state of the art at 250,000 and even 500,000 candlepower’s.

Later the portable, rechargeable 500,000 and one million spotlights come about and of late you can get a good spotlight by LSI or Q. Beam of 2 million candlepower.

How does the little 2” reflector and 35 watt bulb compare with the monstrous 5 ½ inches reflectors and 50 to 75 watts bulbs in those spotlights?

To find out, I did a round up of what I have in the house: a couple of 1 million Q Beam I had disposed off when the batteries ran out of life, but I have a brand new LSI Nite Tracker 2,000.000 million candlepower, a 1 million spotlight from Aid Auto Stores and a new PN 46224 5 million from Heartland America catalogue.
Actually this is the second one, because I returned the first as the light don’t seem to my eyes to output more than a million, the second is still delivering the same output, so maybe where they come from the candlepower’s have a different value than the American ones!

I gave all the spotlights and my light a good charge to run a fair test.
The shootout was made against a tool shed at 30 yards and my appreciation of what I saw is this: The Aid auto Store spotlight seems to be a thru and thru one million candlepower light as the output is well matched against what I have seen before from other one millions.
The BOREALIS will overpower this spotlight plenty, washing the beam of it when the BOREALIS beam is made to coincide.

The second spotlight I tried was the LSI Nite tracker, 2,000.000 million; this is a great light (but also great in size and weight) and is obviously what the BOREALIS has to compete for.
I have found that the BOREALIS beam is more useful than the LSI as the spread is wider (more floodlight), I can see much more landscape to the sides of the shed than with the beam of the LSI. As per the intensity at the shed door, here are the pictures so you can judge it yourself.

Of the Black and yellow 5 million light from Heartland, to my eyes it is barely 1 million, maybe 750,000 more likely.

Yes, the LSI two million can do almost the same as the BOREALIS, but that light is much more compact, lighter and of incomparable quality in its components, the modified switch, reflector and battery carrier are a work of art and the power source are the best high current high capacity Nimhs in existence.

The Contenders, from left to right; My red BOREALIS flashlight 1050 lumens,
the 5 million Heartland of America black and yellow spotlight, the LSI Nite Tracker 2 million, and the Aid auto stores 1 million spotlight.

And I am going to show the beamshots in the opposite sequence:

Aid auto stores 1 million candlepower

LSI Nite Tracker 2 million

Heartland of America 5 million (The text explain what I think of this light)

BOREALIS 1050 lumens rechargeable, 50 minutes run time.

As the pictures don't show how much real state is illuminated by the BOREALIS, I am going to take a video and post it in my site,
http://www.blackbearflashlights.com
That will show more of what is in real life.

Respectfully
watchmaker
watchmaker
Captain Camping

Postby watchmaker » Fri Jan 05, 2007 3:23 pm

THE BLACK BEAR 720 LUMENS TORCH

Of course all my others lights live in the shadow of their big brother, the BOREALIS 1050 lumens torch.
But one that stands up for it own merits is the BLACK BEAR 720.

At one pound 4 oz. the Black Bear 720 is smaller and lighter and its length of ten inches makes it a natural for glove compartments and pockets in overcoats and hunting jackets.

The light runs on six rechargeable high current NIMH batteries, my latest batteries are Powerex 2700 mah, with them, I am getting 40 minutes of run time (after a few charges-discharges).

The lumens output and throw is superior to the Surefire M-6 (20 minutes run time on six disposables 123’s batteries for 500 lumens).
And you can see that the run time on the rechargeable batteries is double than the disposables 123’s also the cost of running the M-6 is $12.00 per 20 minutes, while the Black Bear 720 will run double that amount for free.

The M-6 is still smaller than the BLACK BEAR 720, but as you can see in the pictures the difference is not that much.

Pictured too are the battery carriers that each light uses, the plastic carrier of the M-6 hold six 123’s while the metal and delrin carriers of the Black Bear 720, also holds six of the AA rechargeable batteries.

The Rolls Royce battery carrier have a charging port at the back in which the RC charger is plugged, this will charge the batteries in 4 ½ hours, without the need to take them out of the carrier.

The Black Bear 720 is offered with your choice of four reflectors to customize the light to your needs, the smooth reflector offers maximum throw, the Orange Peel improves in the quality of the beam and give more flood without altering the throw much.
The Light Stippled is very much the same surface treatment as the M-6 reflector, it have a good flood without curtailing the throw.
The Medium Stippled is all flood, rivaling a pair of backyards floodlights.

Here is a picture of the lights and the battery carriers each one uses.

Yesterday I did a shoot out between the Black Bear 720 and the Surefire M-6 at 30 yards against my 12 by 8 feet tool shed.
Here are the results.

Surefire M-6 (500 lumens)

BLACK BEAR 720 LUMENS

The Black Bear is made with the same high quality components than the BOREALIS, the high temperature switch, the small hole parabolic solid aluminum reflector, Pyrex lens and the shorter version of the Rolls Royce battery carrier, as well as the high current high capacity rechargeable Nimh batteries.

Best regards
watchmaker
watchmaker
Captain Camping

Postby watchmaker » Thu Jan 25, 2007 5:07 am

BOREALIS TORTURE TEST

People ask me all the time how tough the BOREALIS is, I just uploaded a new video in the web site.

Click here

http://www.blackbearflashlights.com/support.htm

and then click on the window that is marked BOREALIS TORTURE TEST

You will see how we broke branches, hit water jugs, throw the light use it as a hammer and finally shot it with a .22 rifle, and the light keep going.

cheers
black bear
watchmaker
Captain Camping

Next

Return to Gear Guide