First time camper

Questions, comments, discussions and reviews on equipment, outdoor gear etc.

First time camper

Postby Laurieh » Mon Oct 06, 2008 3:16 pm

My wife and I own a block of land near Hervey Bay and intend to camp on it for a couple of days. We have never camped before and I was looking at buying a tent and gear but thought a bit of professional help would be helpful. I have noticed that you can buy a tent or buy a camper tent. What is the best. We have a Subaru Liberty Sedan. I imagine there are a lot of poor quality tents out there. Anyone have some tips for the goods brands and how waterproof they are. There is only 2 of us and two small dogs. I suppose you also need stoves, fridge, lighting, porta loo, showers etc. Which of these are good and where is the best place to buy them. We live on the Gold Coast. Any suggestions wousld be greatly appreciated
Laurieh

Re: First time camper

Postby GypsyLady » Mon Oct 06, 2008 4:58 pm

Hi Laurieh and WELCOME to the forum. May I suggest that you read though some of the many posts, especially under the topic of Gear Guide.

Personally I would recommend a Dome tent and I have a couple of DMH brand which I can thoroughly recommend. Size will be determined by personal choice. I have an 8/6, 4 and 3 person, a tent for every occasion.

Put a large tarp over it to give you coverage over the tent and the extra will provide you with kitchen-eating areas. In the tarp I recommend either Ultrarig or Durarig with the D rings.

A tarp over will also give you cooler in summer and warmer in winter.

Also suggest self inflating mattresses over just the standard air bed...much more comfortable. I'd go for 2 singes rather than one large, easier to handle that way and you can put them together as one.

I'd also recommend a low pressure gas stove, definitely safer and better performance as well.

Lights I suggest 12 volt fluros with a low current draw, something like a Versa Lite and you can run it from your vehicle.

Tables and chairs would be personal choice. For the porta potti I would go for something in the Thetford 165 size as it is not so low to the ground. You can get others that work just as well from places like Kmart but if you look at the Thetford you will get an idea of the size.

When it comes to a shower then I believe the 12 volt option in the bucket is about the best and again can be run from the motor vehicle.

Shower recesses are quite cheap these days and you can have either a single or double, again personal choice.

Fridge...is a big outlay and then you also have to power it so it is something you will have to do some research on. Might be a good idea to start off with a Tropical type icebox.

When it comes to this sort of item I suggest you talk to someone like Jamie at Dynamic Solar Solutions http://www.dynamicsolarsolutions.com.au/ Phone: 1300 076 527 and he is located at Moffat Beach on the north coast. Yes he is a bit of a drive but I believe Jamie to be one of the good guys in that he will give you all the advice you need without any of the pressure and well worth the drive.

Now if you want to go camper trailer..then that is a whole different ball game.

Cheers.....
The worst day camping still beats the best day working
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby Redback » Tue Oct 07, 2008 1:42 pm

Hire a camper tent, i'm assuming you mean Campertrailer, the advantage to this is, it will have most of what you need like, a bed, tent over your bed, you'll only need to take bedding from home, also it will have, plates, cutlery, stove, may even have lights or they could supply/hire them, an esky will do you over a couple of days.

As for toilets, is the land in a bush setting, could you dig a hole for a toilet

This way if you don't like camping, you won't be stuck with gear you don't want and it will give you a good idea of what it's like to camp, then you can decide whether a tent is the way to go or a campertrailer, personnally if i was buying a tent, i'd buy a canvas tent, they are much better in rainy wet and cold conditions.

Baz.
01 Discovery TD5 Locked & Lifted & Redback Country Camper Trailer
We swear by the Southern Cross to stand truly by each other and fight to defend our rights and liberties.
Peter Lalor
Redback
Blatant Padder

Postby Argle » Tue Oct 14, 2008 12:19 pm

I would look at hiring a camper trailer, this way you will see if camping is for you before you outlay a heap of dough on camping gear. Most camper hire places will have the trailers pretty well set up with everything you will need short of clothes and food. Your car would be capable of towing an "on road" camper without too much trouble at all. I think there is a place in Maryborough called Johnnos camper trailers that could be worth a look.

Cheers and Beers
Scott
Argle
Captain Camping

Return to Gear Guide