Solar showers

Questions, comments, discussions and reviews on equipment, outdoor gear etc.

Solar showers

Postby Laurieh » Thu Oct 09, 2008 11:32 am

Anyone ever used those solar shower bags. They are very cheap but I wonder how long they take to heat up and if they are worth buying
Laurieh

Re: Solar showers

Postby Beagle » Thu Oct 09, 2008 12:10 pm

I have one but I have never had success with it. Could be because I usually camp when it is cool to cold. Given up even taking it when we go camping. Just as soon heat water up over the fire.
Beagle
Captain Camping

Postby TBF » Thu Oct 09, 2008 12:31 pm

If you want to do it on a budget...

Then the suspended canvas shower bucket with a mixture of heated water from the shower.

Next best is heated water in a 20 litre bucket with a submersible pump and hand held shower rose. $25 - 30

Then you can have a Coleman hot water on demand unit..$325 - 400

Twine or Glind heat exchange unit fitted to your vehicle.. $500 plus.

Can anybody think of any others.

Aart
TBF
Camping Veteran

Postby GypsyLady » Thu Oct 09, 2008 1:51 pm

Laurieh wrote:Anyone ever used those solar shower bags. They are very cheap but I wonder how long they take to heat up and if they are worth buying

When I used to camp up the beach I would put them out in the sun every morning to heat up and they were great.

However they do loose their heat pretty quickly in the afternoon shade. On these occasions I would just top up with warm water.

Now I use a 12 volt shower and a bucket of warm water. Most 12 volt showers are now under $20.

Cheers.....
The worst day camping still beats the best day working
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby mr_grumble » Thu Oct 09, 2008 10:02 pm

Laurieh wrote:Anyone ever used those solar shower bags. They are very cheap but I wonder how long they take to heat up and if they are worth buying

We came across them at a camping expo some time back, I think they were $5-$10 each.
We picked up three, one for each of us.
We found them surprisingly good in warmish weather.
On the box there should be some sort of graph which shows warming durations in different ambient temperatures.
We find in summer (~30 deg) warms to a comfortable temp in around an hour or two.
Cooler months, pretty well have to leave them out all day to get barely warm, but they do still warm :armsup
We were looking into the gas heated, electrically pumped hot water service thing, but seems a little over the OTT, this way once your 10L is up, it's up.....period :-bang Much easier to budget for water usage when water is not easily available.
Good packed up in the back of the camper for when you need one :cheers
Image Image Image
mr_grumble
Post Machine!

Postby Beau » Sat Oct 18, 2008 11:23 pm

I use those bags, i love them, useless if you want to shower late in the evening as the heat from the day leaves them fast, but I have found a nice shower can be had by adding about 2 liters of boiling water to them.
We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home, in towns and cities. -Nessmuk
Beau
Camping King

Return to Gear Guide