Buying a campervan for a Small car

Questions, comments, discussions and reviews on equipment, outdoor gear etc.

Buying a campervan for a Small car

Postby elantraelite » Tue Mar 21, 2006 1:15 am

I've got my eye on a mid 80's Coleman "Lite Low" Supa Tow folding camper.

I'm very interested in this model for a few particular reasons. Firstly i own a Hyundai Elantra with a towing limit of 850kg and this camper would be perfect only weighing 560Kg tare.

It's in very good shape and looks like it has been very well looked after over the years.

I'm willing to spend up to 5grand for this one which includes an annexe. From what i've seen on the net larger ones go for 5grand so I think my offer would be rather generous for the camper.

Should I be prepared to pay more for it or less?
elantraelite

Postby Scolers » Tue Mar 21, 2006 9:34 am

I'm very interested in this model for a few particular reasons. Firstly i own a Hyundai Elantra with a towing limit of 850kg and this camper would be perfect only weighing 560Kg tare.

Firstly, as you have said this is TARE weight ... hown many ppl will be going with you and what are their weights? eg. two ppl approx 150kg.s is starting to get close to your tare weight ... then add all of your camping gear. Don't be put off by this, I reckon the Elantra 'should' be able to pull it. If you can, definately take it for a test tow. I know from personal expereince that Daewoo's are crap at towing but Hyundai does seem to make a better vehicle.

I'm willing to spend up to 5grand for this one which includes an annexe. From what i've seen on the net larger ones go for 5grand so I think my offer would be rather generous for the camper.

I haven't seen the camper so it is a bit hard to judge ... I know the Jayco Swan's from the 80's go for about that. Can you find out how long it has been up for sale? If it's been up for sale for a while he might be prepared to accept a little less. But $5k with an annexe seems a fair price.

Maybe post the link to the camper.

:)

Cheers ...

Scol.
Scolers
Apprentice Grey Nomad

Postby elantraelite » Thu Jan 11, 2007 11:02 am

Sorry I never got back to you.

I ended up buying the camper for $4,500, so I did end up getting it cheaper.

Since i've had it I have taken it out. Towing has been very easy with the Elantra surprisingly. I've had the car fully loaded up with two adults and luggage in the back seat and in the trunk.

The Elantra pulled it without any problems. Going up hill it did well too. I liked that I was able to still throw it into 5th gear doing 60km/h and not struggling when only revving at 1500rpm.

I think I made a good choice.
elantraelite

Postby Scolers » Thu Jan 11, 2007 12:40 pm

G;ad to hear your happy with it ... one word of warning tho' ... thsoe revs are quite low for towing ... even with a V6 I don't put the car into fifth until I'm well and truly doing over 80k's (whilst towing). Apparently the gear box can really stuff up if you are putting the car into overdrive when towing and doing below 2500revs. You'll also need 4th gear to control the car a little whilst towing.

Apparently when towing heavy caravans the recommendation is not to use at 5th gear AT ALL. ::()

I only found all this out after I got my CT too!

Good luck!

Scol.
Scolers
Apprentice Grey Nomad

Postby Ozzycamperboy » Thu Jan 11, 2007 1:29 pm

x2!!!on what scolers said ::() Some will even say not to use 5th AT ALL when towing, but I think thats a bit much. But you've gotta keep the revs up or your putting huge amounts of unessesary strain on the gearbox.
Life's too short to be grumpy, SMILE :mrgreen:
PM me for all your window cleaning, pressure cleaning, and commercial cleaning needs!!
Nathan's Window Cleaning
Ozzycamperboy
Site Admin

Return to Gear Guide