Portable Toilets

Questions, comments, discussions and reviews on equipment, outdoor gear etc.

Portable Toilets

Postby tatmattd » Sat Dec 06, 2008 8:47 am

Hi, I considering buying a Porta-Pottie camping toilet for those in our group who aren't keen on the ol' dig and dump. Has anyone got any suggestions? Also what would be the best type of toilet paper to use in one? Any comments or experiences welcome. Tatmattd :booty
tatmattd

Re: Portable Toilets

Postby GypsyLady » Sat Dec 06, 2008 12:32 pm

I have Thetford 165 which is almost the same height as a conventional toilet tatmattd. Friends have one of the $99 specials from Aldi and are also very happy with it.

We both use normal loo paper in them with no issues. I did see written elsewhere that someone recommended Quilton which is obtainable in most supermarkets.

And as far as product in the toilet...it is my inderstanding that most CPs prefer you to use Biomagic and of those I have spoken with about this product.....all seem pretty happy with it.

Cheers....
The worst day camping still beats the best day working
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby steve&Kate » Sat Dec 06, 2008 1:58 pm

Hi tatmattd,

There are a few things to consider when purchasing a porta loo, size of holding tank, size of water tank for flushing and what type of mechanism is used for flushing, toilet paper & products to use in it.

I purchased my porta loo for Kmart on special $109 Normally about $145 I think, it has a waste tank that holds 18 litres of waste and a water tank that holds 10 litres, (Keep in mind when using BioMagic you must start off with 2 litres of water and the product in the waste tank, meaning you have now lost 2 litres of your waste tank before you start) my mechanism for flushing is like a hand pump in a caravan the brand is companion, other types have like a concitina sort of thing that to my way of thinking would end up cracking & breaking (see link below deals direct shows a picture of what I am talking about)
http://www.dealsdirect.com.au/p/10l-por ... ng-toilet/ I guess for $50 you would take the gamble.
http://www.dealsdirect.com.au/p/20l-por ... ingtoilet/ $79.95

Biomagic is the way to go as there is no issues disposing of waste throught septic systems, I have spoken to the supplier of this product as I had heard there has been problems with having to add yoghurt to get everything going, the person I spoke to advised every situation is different, eg people taking different medications etc, The person stated they recommend their clients phone if they have a problem and will advise them what to do, the main course of problems is changing from chemicals to biomagic (this is where the yoghurt could come into play, the tank really needs to be flushed out) Naturally if you have a brand new portaloo this does not come into play, remedy is too do a stock treatment double the recommend amount of product in the waste holding tank and a single shot in the water tank (the water tank has only had a detergent in it).

In regards to toilet paper, 1 ply is recommend, this can be puchased at camping store I have paid $12 for 4 rolls at a small camp store or $7 at BCF, the reason for using 1 ply is that it breaks down alot faster.

Bio Magic has many purposes
http://www.biomagic.com.au/Uses.CFM?menuid=Uses

Animal Odours & Waste

Use BioMagic for any animal accidents and vomit. Spray generously in the air and onto any areas where objectional product or smells are present to control odour. Clean up all mess. Add a small amount of BioMagic to some water(100mls to 1 litre) and rinse the area. Wipe dry. Re-apply if any residual odour.

For a cat litter tray - Clean out the tray entirely and wash and dry. Spray entire surface of the tray with BioMagic until wet. Add litter and set up for use. Remove deposits each day and then spray surface with BioMagic until just covered (not wet).
-----------------

BioCycle / Envirocycle

Pour 100mls down a toilet or drain every second day for the first week then add 50mls of BioMagic per adult per week. It is better to add it in small doses and more often than all at once.

Try to add it to a different drain or toilet each time. This will not only clean and maintain all drains but will make your waste system much more efficient too. It keeps the screens and filters clean and causes a much more complete breakdown of the waste in the system.
-----------------

Boat Bilges

Spray general area or pour a small amount directly into the water in the bilges agitate if possible until there is no smell (works well with fuel smells).

If any odour remains spray again.
-----------------

Carpets & Fabric Furniture

Add 100mls (per 20 litres capacity) BioMagic Heavy Duty to the detergent tank before carpet cleaning. Do not add deodorisers or perfumes or chemicals as BioMagic will leave surfaces fresh and odour free.

Allow carpet to dry thoroughly and BioMagic will continue to work for a time even when dry (test an inconspicuous area first for colour fastness).
-----------------

Cigarette Smells

Spray BioMagic Regular into the air and lightly over curtains and upholstery. For severe cases spray all walls and other surfaces then wipe down.

If the cigarette smell is in items that can be laundered then wash with normal detergent and 50mls of BioMagic Heavy Duty to each wash load for an odour free result.
-----------------

Composting Toilets

To help in the operation of any composting toilet, BioMagic can be used as the toilet cleaner inside and outside of the bowl and seat area.

To improve the composting ability of the contents just spray the surface of the compost (through the bowl) lightly on a regular (daily) basis.

This will provide the best conditions to keep the toilet operating well. Biomagic can be used to re-establish a dry or failing compost toilet.
-----------------

Diesel & Petrol Odours

BioMagic instantly removes diesel & petrol smells when it comes in contact with the product. Clean up the spill and wash with soapy water. Spray all affected areas with BioMagic Heavy Duty Odorstop and leave for a few minutes, then wipe dry. Re-apply if any odour remains.

BioMagic (50mls of Heavy Duty) added to the laundry with the normal soap products will take these smells out of clothing too. It is safe to spray onto the skin to remove the smell and then wash off with water.
-----------------

Domestic Toilets

For cleaning and odour control in and around toilets (especially brick, tile or concrete areas) spray BioMagic Heavy Duty over all surfaces paying particular attention to porous surfaces like grouting, brick etc and leave for 10 mins then hose off or wash off.

For smells in the air dilute BioMagic Heavy Duty 50/50 with water and put into an atomiser. Spray high into the air with a few puffs to remove all smells.
-----------------

Drains & Plumbing

Pour approx 50mls of BioMagic Heavy Duty and a cupful of water down any drain to safely clean and maintain drains odour free and free-flowing. This is best done when the drain won’t be used for a while (eg: last thing at night).

This will clear any grease, plaque, hair, grime build-up etc. For a blocked drain apply 50mls of BioMagic and a cup of water down drain each night for 3-4 days or until it clears.
-----------------

Filters in Air Conditioners

Spray BioMagic Regular lightly into air intake for a freshening of the unit, or remove filters and wash in Biomagic Regular solution to remove established odours. Let dry naturally but can be reinstalled while wet.

Just turn on unit to dry the filter and deodorise the air passing through it.
-----------------

Fridges and Hard surfaces

Use BioMagic Regular to deodorise fridges and freezers by spraying all surfaces and then wiping dry.

Wiping over surfaces removes all odours so there is no attraction for insects.

If you have a very bad smell (rotten fish etc) use Biomagic Heavy Duty instead.
-----------------

Grease Traps

Grease traps can be cleaned and maintained using BioMagic. Lift the lid of the grease trap and spray thoroughly until entire surface and all grease and waste visible is wet then close lid. Spray again each 3-5 days until all waste material is gone. Do not scrape surface.

Allow the bacteria to digest it correctly. Maintain by spraying once a month and pouring 30-50mls of BioMagic down sink or laundry drain 2-3 times per week.

For commercial grease traps or arrestors Biomagic can be used in a timed spray system for amazing results.
-----------------

Horses and Stabled Animals

BioMagic is a completely safe, environmentally sensitive product to use for many applications in animal housing and waste disposal areas.

Not only will it successfully remove odours from animals and their wate but will also accelerate the waste breakdown and give a healthier and more saleable end product.
-----------------

Houseboat and Marine Applications

BioMagic can be used in both black & grey holding tanks & Bilges for odour and waste reduction
-----------------

Laundry

Use Biomagic for total odour control in your laundry.

A small amount (50mls) of BioMagic Regular (or 30 mls of BioMagic Heavy Duty) added to the washing load with the soap and the clothes will sanitise, deodorise and soften the whole wash and stop the build-up of sludge and scum in both the machine and hoses.

BioMagic is particularly useful when laundering articles to be stored or those such as bedspreads which may not be laundered very often.
-----------------

Odours in vehicles

Spray very lightly with BioMagic Regular over all seats, carpet & upholstery avoiding windows and wipe over with a dry cloth (it won't hurt but leaves them streaky).

Do not make it wet. Wipe over all hard surfaces with a clean cloth wrung out in BioMagic Regular.
-----------------

Outside Areas

Spray all surfaces, walls, paths etc BioMagic Heavy Duty and hose off after a few minutes. It is particularly successful on porous surfaces.

The run-off is perfectly safe in all water systems and does not harm storm drains, creeks or the ocean.
-----------------

Portable Toilets

For cleaning spray liberally over all surfaces and wipe dry and flush bowl. For disposable toilets (seat and bag, bucket etc).

Put BioMagic Regular in a spray pack and spray product liberally after each use.

For Portable toilets: Add 50mls of Biomagic Regular to the flush tank and 50mls of the same to the holding tank with 2 litres of water.

For Cassette toilets: Add 50mls of Biomagic Regular to the flush tank if you have one and 50mls of the same to the base tank with 2 litres of water (less if its less than 20 litres capacity). Put some BioMagic Regular in a spray pack and use it to clean the bowl and all surfaces on the toilet.

For Large Holding Tanks: Add 100mls of Biomagic Heavy duty for Large waste tanks per 100 litres of waste with enough water to cover the base 1” This can be added in stages as the tank fills.
-----------------

Rubbish Bins

To deodorise rubbish bins, spray BioMagic Heavy Duty on all surfaces and then hose off. Spraying all around rubbish storage areas will discourage odour, flies and ants.
-----------------

Septic Tanks

BioMagic will make any natural waste system operate much more efficiently and odour free.

Flush 100mls down the toilet every second day in the first week then flush approx 50mls per adult per week down the toilet for optimum performance.

When you have a sudden increase in population (visitors) just add an extra dose to help the tank cope.
-----------------

Cheers hope that all helps
steve&Kate
Camping King

Postby GypsyLady » Sat Dec 06, 2008 11:02 pm

WOW thanks for all that info on the Biomagic. I have only just purchased my first bottle but have yet to use it.
The worst day camping still beats the best day working
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby steve&Kate » Sun Dec 07, 2008 7:18 am

Oops forgot to mention with using the shock treatment when changing from chemicals to Boimagic you have to leave it in tank for 24 hours.

Cheers
steve&Kate
Camping King

Postby tatmattd » Sun Dec 07, 2008 2:45 pm

Thankyou all very much. So much information has been great! tatmattd
tatmattd

Postby YouAndI » Fri Feb 20, 2009 3:14 pm

Here is what we use when primitive/off road camping.

Toilet & Privacy/Shower Tent: PETT System
Click Here: PETT Products
Alan & Christine
Jeep & Tentrax AT Off Road Camper
Webshots: Click Here

YouAndI
Camping King

Postby Poodle Jewel » Sat Feb 21, 2009 12:09 pm

Holy dooly steve and kate you either have shares in Bio magic or you Loooovee the product. Good post with lots of info.
The Lord is my shepard,i shall not want......only sometimes.
Poodle Jewel
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby steve&Kate » Sun Feb 22, 2009 8:33 am

Hi Poodle Jewel,

No I don't have shares in them but wish I did, when I purchased my first bottle of Biomagic they gave me the shock treatment to transfer over for free & the several A4 sheets advising what else you can use if for.

Anything I buy these days in regards to camping I really look into, if it has a duel purposes that's even better, I also think if you respond to a question you should give all the information you possibly can so that the person reading it can make an informed decision.

Most toilet block you go to now when disposing of your waste will have a notice on the toilet block advising not to dispose of your waste if it has been treated with chemicals.

Cheers
Kate

Poodle Jewel wrote:Holy dooly steve and kate you either have shares in Bio magic or you Loooovee the product. Good post with lots of info.
steve&Kate
Camping King

Postby steve&Kate » Sun Feb 22, 2009 8:37 am

steve&Kate wrote:Hi Poodle Jewel,

No I don't have shares in them but wish I did, when I purchased my first bottle of Biomagic they gave me the shock treatment to transfer over for free & the several A4 sheets advising what else you can use if for.

Anything I buy these days in regards to camping I really look into, if it has a other purposes that's even better, I also think if you respond to a question you should give all the information you possibly can so that the person reading it can make an informed decision.

Most toilet block you go to now when disposing of your waste will have a notice on the toilet block advising not to dispose of your waste if it has been treated with chemicals.

Cheers
Kate

Poodle Jewel wrote:Holy dooly steve and kate you either have shares in Bio magic or you Loooovee the product. Good post with lots of info.
steve&Kate
Camping King

Return to Gear Guide