How many poles?

Questions, comments, discussions and reviews on equipment, outdoor gear etc.

How many poles?

Postby D_mentias » Thu Dec 18, 2008 9:48 pm

Well I got my new 9 plus tent and earlier got a tarp. I got 8 poles but fear I do not have enough....I thought the tarp was 12x20 but today when tidying up noticed it was 16x24, that should give me a nice kitchen area but how many poles would be recomended for such?

Should give me a nice place for a camp kitchen and shade and a place to park the gopher!

I am going to town tomorrow so would need to pick any extra up then...
D_mentias
Boy Scout

Re: How many poles?

Postby Blue Bravo » Thu Dec 18, 2008 9:57 pm

You would probably get away with 8 poles in fair weather. Do you have a ridge pole as 24 feet is a big span to try and keep an angle on to stop water pooling if there is rain.
Glenn
A member of the leisure class
Blue Bravo
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby GypsyLady » Thu Dec 18, 2008 10:31 pm

I would be going for 4 on either end and an additional 6 down the 24ft sides in between the corner poles, giving you a total of 20 all up. The corner poles double up on the corners giving you the 4 along each 16ft side and 8 on the 24ft sides.

Don't forget the double ropes on the corner poles.

I would rather too many than too little and then end up worrying about what might happen if you get rain or wind.

The more poles you have the less flap will have if you get a breeze.
The worst day camping still beats the best day working
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby Troyk » Thu Dec 18, 2008 10:35 pm

General rule is a pole for every second eyelet. So count the eyelets and divide by 2. I would go for the ridge pole too. :)
Never argue with a fool! They drag you down to their level, and beat you with experience!

2007 Outlander, 2005 MODCON Redlander, 2003 DMH Overlander and four human Redlanders!
Troyk
Camping Forum trip organiser and all round nice guy

Postby chisel » Thu Dec 18, 2008 11:06 pm

I get away with 8 for 14x12 tarp. You definitely want more than that ... I'm thinking 12 at a minimum (4 corners plus an extra 2 each side) and 14+ (4 corners and an extra 2 on short sides, 3 on long sides) in any weather.
chisel
Boy Scout

Postby D_mentias » Fri Dec 19, 2008 7:34 pm

Thank you all for your suggestions...I borrowed half a dozen more poles and got a smaller 12x18 tarp...I will take both but probably only use the smaller...comes back to money...Unlce Kev's bonus only goes so far...
D_mentias
Boy Scout

Postby GypsyLady » Fri Dec 19, 2008 8:28 pm

Everyone has to start somewhere D_mentias. Additional poles can be added as time goes by.

The important thing is to get out there and enjoy the camp...
The worst day camping still beats the best day working
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby Poodle Jewel » Sat Jan 17, 2009 12:42 pm

When i bought my tent and tarp the guy in the camping shop said the biggest problem people have is they skimp on pegs and poles,in mild weather you are ok but there is nothing worse than a surprise storm or wind and you are racing around adding more poles. I bought the ridge poles but have never used them only because they are too hard for me to do on my own.
The Lord is my shepard,i shall not want......only sometimes.
Poodle Jewel
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby snail&squid » Sat Jan 17, 2009 11:56 pm

D ring tarps rule of thumb is a pole in every second ring with a rope on each & double ropes set at 90 degrees on each corner. The use of spings can help with flapping but sometimes make it worse with to much play just start with a couple then see how your set up responds.
snail&squid

Postby CampGrrlz » Sun Jan 18, 2009 9:06 pm

There's a well-written and illustrated article on the BCF website about tarps. What the author did not mention, though, was the tip from this forum about putting in some pegs and positioning the corner poles inward to assist in erecting the tarp. It's a great tip and one I have added to my folder of tips - mostly from this forum.

Elaine and Elaine
Two old boilers are armchair Glampers ;-)
CampGrrlz
Camping Queens

Return to Gear Guide