Ice, Ice Boxes and Thermo-electric fridges

Questions, comments, discussions and reviews on equipment, outdoor gear etc.

Re: Ice, Ice Boxes and Thermo-electric fridges

Postby coyotte » Thu Jan 08, 2009 4:24 pm

What is this MoblieCool? Nearest I could find in Google was Mobicool which makes for Waeco and the smallest they say they make is 40L. Any further info so I can find one will be very helpful. Just haven't seen anything in the compressor range for less than $1000 except for the above.

Elaine and Elaine[/color]

my mistake
it's a 40 L Mobicool --- 12v only
bought it at a SuperCheap Autos store -- normal price $400
AutoPro stores also carry them I think

be wary of the price of a 240v/12v inverter though ( unlike a 12v/240v they seem to be a vary rare beast )--- best price I could for a suitable one was around $150
I have only used it so far to Freeze up the Mobicool before I leave home .
I run the 12v deep cycle system via a Sidewinder deep cycle battery unit

Coyotte
THIS too shall change
coyotte
Camping King

Postby CampGrrlz » Thu Jan 08, 2009 4:29 pm

[/quote]it's a 40 L Mobicool --- 12v only bought it at a SuperCheap Autos store -- normal price $400[/quote]
Gotcha! Since then I've been googling around (new word, huh? ;-) and have come up with a 240v ice maker/freezer which just might do the trick at around $300.

E n E

PS: no, it won't. The eBay seller was honest enough to admit the icemaker will only freeze at or below 25 deg C and few days or nights are that cool in Qld in summer.
I've since found that there's a Waeco 18L which freezes and an Engel ditto about 14L. Neither are cheap :shock: but at around $500-600 they are much better value and I know at least that Waeco are a quality brand even if the works are made by Mobicool in the mysterious orient.
Two old boilers are armchair Glampers ;-)
CampGrrlz
Camping Queens

Postby Ozzycamperboy » Fri Jan 09, 2009 7:53 am

coyotte wrote:be wary of the price of a 240v/12v inverter though ( unlike a 12v/240v they seem to be a vary rare beast )--- best price I could for a suitable one was around $15

I had no idea they where that expensive, I've got a spare coleman one laying around here somewhere. They came with my fridge :?
Life's too short to be grumpy, SMILE :mrgreen:
PM me for all your window cleaning, pressure cleaning, and commercial cleaning needs!!
Nathan's Window Cleaning
Ozzycamperboy
Site Admin

Postby GypsyLady » Fri Jan 09, 2009 8:46 am

CampGrrlz wrote:
it's a 40 L Mobicool --- 12v only bought it at a SuperCheap Autos store -- normal price $400[/quote]
Gotcha! Since then I've been googling around (new word, huh? ;-) and have come up with a 240v ice maker/freezer which just might do the trick at around $300.

E n E

PS: no, it won't. The eBay seller was honest enough to admit the icemaker will only freeze at or below 25 deg C and few days or nights are that cool in Qld in summer.
I've since found that there's a Waeco 18L which freezes and an Engel ditto about 14L. Neither are cheap :shock: but at around $500-600 they are much better value and I know at least that Waeco are a quality brand even if the works are made by Mobicool in the mysterious orient.
[/quote]

I have a 17 Litre Engel which was somewhere in the $500 to $600 mark. It is a 12/240volt unit. Current draw on it is the same as the 40 litre, 2.5amps.
The worst day camping still beats the best day working
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby oldtrack123 » Fri Jan 09, 2009 5:07 pm

Hi
"The thermo-electrics, for all their faults, don't run when the engine is off. Whether that's something built into them or into the car electronics, I don't know but at least I know the fridge won't be draining the battery"

The only way they will not run when engine is "off" is if they are switched through the ignition switch.[So it depends how /where they are connected] If they are connected direct to the battery they will flatten the battery ,even fridges fitted with low voltage cut outs do not give adequate protection to batteries.
oldtrack123
Camping King

Postby CampGrrlz » Fri Jan 09, 2009 5:36 pm

oldtrack123 wrote:... So it depends how /where they are connected

To the cigarette lighter. Every time we've travelled with ours, it cuts out immediately the motor stops so I assume that it's something within the electronics on the car.

Elaine
Two old boilers are armchair Glampers ;-)
CampGrrlz
Camping Queens

Postby Ozzycamperboy » Mon Jan 12, 2009 8:52 am

CampGrrlz wrote:
oldtrack123 wrote:... So it depends how /where they are connected

To the cigarette lighter. Every time we've travelled with ours, it cuts out immediately the motor stops so I assume that it's something within the electronics on the car.

Elaine

I think you'll find in most cars that once the ignition is turned off, the power to the cig plug is cut off also.
Life's too short to be grumpy, SMILE :mrgreen:
PM me for all your window cleaning, pressure cleaning, and commercial cleaning needs!!
Nathan's Window Cleaning
Ozzycamperboy
Site Admin

Previous

Return to Gear Guide