Showers & Ensuites

Questions, comments, discussions and reviews on equipment, outdoor gear etc.

Re: Showers & Ensuites

Postby HeathGQ » Fri Feb 20, 2009 5:30 pm

$20 12v special from any generic camping store. Grab 20 litres of creek water, boil some of it, add to cold stuff, and have a nice shower.

I'll eventually upgrade to a in-car one, but more importants things for the moment.
HeathGQ
Boy Scout

Postby CCC » Fri Mar 06, 2009 8:37 pm

ScottH wrote:Image
I read a good tip on ExplorOz to stop the pilot light going out - add a diverter switch to the shower line, and when you've got wet and are lathering up, turn the switch to divert the water via a return line back into the bucket. The unit will keep recirculating the water and heating it until it reaches it's temperature limit, then the burner will cut out. The water should stay hot enough for the next few minutes while you rinse off. Worth a try, and extra piping should be cheap. If it truly sucks, then I'll put it back up on eBay for some other sucker :evil:

The only remaining challenge now is the ensuite enclosure, but hopefully a trip to either Amazon or BCF tomorrow will solve that.

looks just like my primus one.

you could divert the water OR ... do what I do and just chuck the shower head into the bucket in the corner of the ensuite with the water still running. no pilot light going out and nice hot water to rinse off with .... ahhhhhh :?#

my ensuite is one of the blue oztrail ones with air vents and I put 4 rubbery foam mats with holes it them on the ground... if you get a pack of 6 you have 2 to place outside the doorway .... awesome ::)
CCC
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby snake_dr » Fri Mar 06, 2009 10:36 pm

another vote for failed iprimus units, mate had one and had to take it back several times before getting his money back, piece of junk

another vote for bucket of water and a 12v shower
snake_dr
Camping Veteran

Postby GypsyLady » Sat Mar 07, 2009 7:46 am

Yes I must admit I have not heard anything good about Primus either, Colemen yes but not Primus.

And I am a bit like you snake_dr, can't justify the cost when the 12volt job in a bucket delivers the same result.

The worst day camping still beats the best day working
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby CCC » Sat Mar 07, 2009 2:10 pm

had to take mine back after 3 uses ... the ignition wouldnt fire ....
CCC
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby Ricklanga » Sat Mar 07, 2009 6:50 pm

I have a coleman and love it. I use it to heat a drum of water, then switch it off and use one of those cheap 12v showers for everyone to shower with. This saves both gas and battery power on the coleman. I can heat a 60ltr drum in 15 minutes. But, as has already been stated they are not cheap. We got ours for $235 with carry bag and accessories from Down Under Camping last at one of the camping trade shows.

If you can't justify the expence then check this diy hot bush shower out for a cheap and easy solution.

--
Richard.
It always rains on tents. Rainstorms will travel thousands of miles, against prevailing winds for the opportunity to rain on a tent.
Ricklanga
Post Machine!

Postby Blue Bravo » Sat Mar 14, 2009 10:23 pm

Mrs Bravo and I decided we we go for a shower set. Shower tents on special at Kangaroo Tents and Barbeues. We agree to buy an instant tent, but on condition they show us how to fold it up. He did it fist time but when taking me though the directions it woun't fold up into a neat package. he tried several times but it didn't happen. Had a look at the other styles. Decided to get one with outside poles as it seemed to offer a greater chance of being packed up. This was a Roman Dimantina. Took it home and got it out to try to errect. Noticed that that the poles were wrapped inside the tent. The poles had worn through the plastic sleeve and cut into the tent fabric. Took it back and had then unroll the replacement to make sure that the same problem wasn't there. Again home to practice putting it up and found that the first plastic clip that goes around the pole was broken. Back to the store tomorrow for a refund. Have to look for something else as Mrs Bravo has her heart set on having a shower next time we are camped off power. :(
Glenn
A member of the leisure class
Blue Bravo
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby GypsyLady » Sun Mar 15, 2009 8:32 am

That is a bit of bad luck BB. It seems there is quite a knack to folding those instant up tents.

Friends who are travelling with me on my outback trip later in the year have one which we will be using......the one condition is that the hubby is the one who has to fold it up every time after use.

Think we might be in for some very amusing video footage for submission to the funniest home video show.

The worst day camping still beats the best day working
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Previous

Return to Gear Guide