Stove Type?

Questions, comments, discussions and reviews on equipment, outdoor gear etc.

Stove Type?

Postby markannab » Sun Jan 18, 2009 7:13 pm

Hi all

I hope you don't mind but I'm likely to ask for opinions on a number of things that I'm buying in the near future. I appreciate the voices of experience! :lol: As I've mentioned in other posts, my wife and I are changing from campervan to tenting. So we'll be progressively buying a tent, trailer, gas fridge/freezer, bed and stove.

Today, it's the stove. Next Thursday, we're off to Port Macquarie to spend a major portion of the day looking at camping equipment at the numerous camping stores they have there. We'll have a break at Hog's Breath then back into it!

Now, until the van sold and was towed away yesterday, we had a two burner in the van, a single-burner outside and a BBQ. The BBQ and, of course, the two burner have gone. We're thinking we can get away with just one appliance: A three burner LPG stove (maybe Companion with an extra large central burner) with a cast plate to convert it to a BBQ. I know it's a come-down from a full-on BBQ plate, but has anyone found these to be effective for a few sausages and onion, or a steak? I'm thinking along the lines of it being compact but still being able to cook a meal, BBQ a meal and boil a kettle.
Freelance Design, Printing and Rubber Stamps: http://www.worldofprinting.com
markannab
Captain Camping

Re: Stove Type?

Postby Derek Bullock » Sun Jan 18, 2009 7:40 pm

How many people will you be cooking for??
Derek Bullock
Camp Oven KING!

Postby steve&Kate » Sun Jan 18, 2009 7:46 pm

This may be of some interest to you Mark, there is only my husband and myself now and we use a 3 burner gas stove along with a round hotplate purchased from Ray's camping for $19.99.

The hotplate sit perfectly on 3 burner gas stove & still gives you two gas jets to cook other things, also sits on our Cobb & one of those little stove that use the cans.

I used it to cook 2 fillet steaks on the ribbed side, it turned out 2 cracker steaks and then used the flat side for pancakes.

There are some pictures of it in this link.

http://www.aussiecampovenforum.com/cgi- ... 1226224798

Cheers
Last edited by steve&Kate on Sun Jan 18, 2009 8:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
steve&Kate
Camping King

Postby GypsyLady » Sun Jan 18, 2009 7:47 pm

What ever you decide, make sure it is low pressure gas as opposed to high pressure.
The worst day camping still beats the best day working
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby markannab » Sun Jan 18, 2009 8:12 pm

We'll only be cooking for two. I've already got the plate - I bought it a while back for use over a wood fire but have only used it once. It covers all three burners.

Thanks for the info about the round ones too. I went & had a look at the photos.

Mark.
Freelance Design, Printing and Rubber Stamps: http://www.worldofprinting.com
markannab
Captain Camping

Postby steve&Kate » Mon Jan 19, 2009 6:43 am

See how you go with the bigger plate.

We have a bigger plate as well, covers the 3 gas jets, has not been out of the shed in the last 3 years, just to big for our needs now.

Cheers and good luck.
steve&Kate
Camping King

Postby Blue Bravo » Mon Jan 19, 2009 4:47 pm

I've found thatfor 2 people a separate barbque plate is not really needed. However it won't take much space so stick it in and if you find your not using it then you can leave it out.

I've found a griddle grill works for meat, eggs etc. Also for pancakes, pan fried sandwiches etc.
Glenn
A member of the leisure class
Blue Bravo
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby Bradd » Mon Jan 19, 2009 4:56 pm

I have a 2 burner stove with a hotplate that covers both.
While it works ok and use it if cooking more than fits in the frying pan,
the frying pan works just aswell and is alot easier to clean up.
Some national parks have long waiting lists for camping reservations.
When you have to wait a year to sleep next to a tree, something is wrong. ~George Carlin
Bradd
Camping Oracle

Return to Gear Guide