We wanted to buy one of these for our weekend trip to Andrew Drynan but most of the stores were sold out by Wednesday, the nearest with stock was Toowoomba. We ended up biting the bullet and buying a pole kit from BCF for $259 and an 18 x 24 UltraRig tarp for $99. That's a total of $358. Downunder quoted me about $454 from memory.
The kit consists of:
- 12 x 230cm adjustable galv. steel poles
- 2 x 275cm adjustable galv. steel poles
- 1 x 554cm adjustable galv. steel square ridge pole
- 1 x 275cm adjustable galv. steel support pole
- 6 x 6mm x 3mm double guy ropes with wooden runners
- 8 x 6mm x 3mm single guy ropes with wooden runners
- 20 8mm x 300mm steel tent pegs
- 20 200mm zink coated steel tracer springs
- Bonus pole bracket hook
All the poles, ropes etc. are excellent quality and the whole setup seems quite strong.
We have never set up a tarp before but I think we managed it without looking to amature. We had little rain over most of the weekend but the afternoons were quite hot. The tent was definately cooler with the tarp over. Sunday afternoon it got very windy but the tarp held up well. Sunday night saw a fair bit of rain but the tarp kept everything dry. This morning it was raining while we were packing up so I just backed the trailer under the tarp and kept everything dry while we loaded the trailer. We still got wet when we pulled the tarp down but by this time we were pretty hot so didn't mind to cool of in the rain
There has been a lot of positive info regarding tarps on this forum and all I can say after this weekend is that if you don't already have one then you definately should try to get one. I doubt you would regret it.