Mattresses

Questions, comments, discussions and reviews on equipment, outdoor gear etc.

Mattresses

Postby markannab » Wed Jan 21, 2009 4:12 pm

Any experiences with mattresses and what are best?
:arrow: Bestway high mattress with inbuilt pump
:arrow: Oztrail inflatable with it's own frame
:arrow: Self-inflating foam mattresses (some say they become moist in certain weather conditions)

Any help would be appreciated,
Mark.
Freelance Design, Printing and Rubber Stamps: http://www.worldofprinting.com
markannab
Captain Camping

Re: Mattresses

Postby LeahS » Wed Jan 21, 2009 4:42 pm

Mark - We've only just got into camping so I don't have much experience but I can tell you some of the things I have been told regarding inflatable vs self inflating foam

We bought the self inflating with the frame (I think Oztrail brand)
- it is very quick and easy to put up and blow up.
- we can store some stuff under our beds
- ours stayed inflated for 9 days without any problems (included kids jumping on it at one stage)
- we have been told that in the cooler months lying on a pillow of air can be quite cold and you may need to put a blanket on top of the mattress to help keep you warm.
- my husband trialled it last weekend without the stand on those foam mats with the holes in it for one night and said that he would be happy to sleep on it like that for up to 3 nights or so.

We don't have the self inflating ones but my in-laws do and there are no complaints from them
- they put theirs on a stretcher bed so I'm not sure whether that makes a difference.
- not sure about the moisture query.
- they are however quite bulky once rolled up so although you can squash them in somewhere we found that they were going to take up more room than buying the air beds on the stands.

Our friends had one with the inbuilt pump (not sure the brand) and theirs seemed to leak a fair bit, also, their pump gave out and caused some problems.

I could sleep anywhere to be honest so I don't really notice it however my husband found the best thing about the oztrail air bed is that for the first time we don't roll into each other - I think it has something to with where the cells (circles) are located on the bed (can someone explain this betters???)

Cheers
Leah
LeahS
Boy Scout

Postby CampGrrlz » Wed Jan 21, 2009 5:07 pm

markannab wrote:Bestway high mattress with inbuilt pump

We bought the Bestway double-height mattress last night at Anaconda and gave it a trial to-day.

It's not the one with the in-built pump - the 240v pump is separate. The mattresses and pumps (battery and mains separately) are going half price as Anaconda just now and on reflection, having a separate pump means if it karks you just buy another pump.

I can see now why the young guy at Anaconda suggested an electric pump rather than a hand once. Good grief ... it took about 10 to 15 minutes with the pump going flat out to fill it. Mind you, the air space is huge - queen dimensions with height approaching a normal bed.

It's sitting on the tiled floor so haven't tried it on whatever surface in a tent yet. The bottom layer doesn't inflate as hard as the top and increases the roll as well the top seems to be a bit uneven - weird, huh? I expected air to act like water and be self-levelling but that's not the case. That's one reason why it's still taking up all of the lounge room - to give the whole thing a chance to stretch and bed down and acclimatise after being in a tiny package for however-long. Remains to be seen when next we inflate it if it's more evenly pumped.

We're working on stitching the sheets together at the bottom. While the design allows a fitted sheet to more or less hug the mattress, we can see that it's not as well fitted as it would be on a mattress at home. Which probably explains why the bottom layer is slightly smaller in footprint than the top. But it does not allow any tucking in of the top sheet.

The makers as good as admit it leaks and suggest topping it up each night, which is in line with previous comments and our experience with an earlier inflatable mattress.

We have space restrictions in our small car so opted (pending testing!) for the inflatable but our heart's desire is a jumbo single stretcher each and an "egg carton" foam overlay.

Elaine and Elaine
Two old boilers are armchair Glampers ;-)
CampGrrlz
Camping Queens

Postby Poodle Jewel » Wed Jan 21, 2009 9:02 pm

I have a camp stretcher and with a self inflatable it is very comfortable.Leah if the self inflatable is bulky they are not getting all the air out of it,although you never get it as small as the shop had it but it should be reasonably close.I kneel on it ,sit on it and continually sqeeze the air out then tye it tight while sitting on it.
The Lord is my shepard,i shall not want......only sometimes.
Poodle Jewel
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby Troyk » Wed Jan 21, 2009 9:45 pm

Would it be rude for me to say, that owning a camper trailer means we have an innerspring matress. And the matress cushion....now thats roughing it! :armsup

Sorry, I have spent too many nights on deflated airbeds. :lol:
Never argue with a fool! They drag you down to their level, and beat you with experience!

2007 Outlander, 2005 MODCON Redlander, 2003 DMH Overlander and four human Redlanders!
Troyk
Camping Forum trip organiser and all round nice guy

Postby Poodle Jewel » Wed Jan 21, 2009 10:01 pm

Very rude Troy, very rude indeed. :$ :lol:
The Lord is my shepard,i shall not want......only sometimes.
Poodle Jewel
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby CampGrrlz » Wed Jan 21, 2009 10:32 pm

Troyk wrote:...means we have an innerspring matress. And the matress cushion....now thats roughing it!...

We roughed it in the first camper trailer on a pure latex mattress ::)

E n E
Two old boilers are armchair Glampers ;-)
CampGrrlz
Camping Queens

Postby Troyk » Wed Jan 21, 2009 10:44 pm

ooh...nice...

:mrgreen:
Never argue with a fool! They drag you down to their level, and beat you with experience!

2007 Outlander, 2005 MODCON Redlander, 2003 DMH Overlander and four human Redlanders!
Troyk
Camping Forum trip organiser and all round nice guy

Postby markannab » Thu Jan 22, 2009 6:23 am

Thanks for your comments. Yesterday, we borrowed a Bestway inflatable with inbuilt motor. But I found when two of you are on it, you tend to roll toward each other. And since I toss & turn all night, another issue is making my wife feel like she's on a trampoline all night.

We're off to Port today for a full day of camp shopping with just a brief stop at a car yard and at Hogs Breath. Port has BCF, Amart All sports, Port Camping World, Bunnings (which I think has a small camp section), and an Aussie Disposals. Between all those, we should get some good ideas if not come home with something.

We've found our ideal tent on eBay - a Grangers two room tent (with closed in screen room, three room). It's the size we want and has the PVC (pool liner type) floor. After Port, we'll know if we can get a better price. Seems there's a few sales on at present - either New Years or Australia Day.

There are tougher things to do than have the thrill of starting to search for a totally fresh camp setting with no time restrictions and a few dollars from the sale of the campervan! :grin:
markannab
Captain Camping

Postby amanda » Thu Jan 22, 2009 8:57 am

markannab wrote:We're off to Port today for a full day of camp shopping with just a brief stop at a car yard and at Hogs Breath.

Now that sounds like a perfect kind of day - I'm very jealous.
It's all fun and games until someone gets hurt - then it's bloody hilarious!
amanda
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby markannab » Fri Jan 23, 2009 6:55 am

It was the perfect day! The car yard was a waste of time! Hogs Breath was awesome as always. And the afternoon was great - though busy. We went through Amart Allsports (nothing there - they're getting out of camping gear :( ), Bunnings (that one doesn't have camping gear), Camping World, BCF, and Aussie Disposals. Having gone through them taking notes, we went back to buy the best deals from the best shops.

We bought self-inflating mattresses from Aussie Disposals. From BCF, we bought a Chescold RC1180 fridge/freezer, metal kitchen sink/bench, two single stretchers, stove and stand. Having checked out many tenting options, came back to our original idea and bought a 12' x 15 cabin tent off eBay (one of the Grangers liquidation tents along with sunroom attachment). Just the trailer to go.

Salespeople are interesting. Most were good. But some weren't. One very loud and continuously-talking salesman instantly critisized two other competing shop owners and bagged out their brands. Then promptly forgot what he said as he pointed out (and recommended) those same brands in his showroom!

At another, a 22-year-old salesman was excellent. Invested heaps of time and very helpful. When we returned, we wanted two items totalling $60 and said, we also want to buy your tent (around $1000). But, I explained the liquidation one on eBay, that to be honest, I preferred the online one and it was $60 less. But if they would simply match the price - not beat it - we'd buy from them because of being treated so well (even though it's not the exact tent we wanted).

This woman (the "boss") comes screaming from behind an aisle - evidently listening in - and goes off! "We can't/don't compete with online businesses, we give you service like showing you how to put the tent up if you [drive 1 hour north] on Saturday." (We really need that :o ) On she went. The young salesman just sank his head. We bought the small items because they were far cheaper than anywhere else. We left and she missed out on over $1000 worth of goods being sold because we wanted other items too.

It may well be that they can't compete - we face that in our printing work, but there's a way of saying it!

Addition the next day:
We've secured a trailer in Newcastle (Cardiff) with a gas strut roof giving 590mm height inside for equipment. 7' x 4'. Brand new. About $920.00. We just have to wait for about two weeks while it's being built.
markannab
Captain Camping

Return to Gear Guide