Running lights etc off a battery

Questions, comments, discussions and reviews on equipment, outdoor gear etc.

Running lights etc off a battery

Postby Bomber_WA » Wed Mar 18, 2009 5:45 pm

Hi All,

I am just getting into the camping game and just bought a camper trailer.

We are just going to be going away for 2-3 days max at this stage so I have decided agaist buying a fridge/freezer.

I do however want to run a few lights/phone chargers/laptop etc. Can anyone suggest the best way to do this? Without having a duel battery system in a vehicle....

Can I just get a deep cycle battery and run these things with a sine wave inverter. How would I charge the battery again either at home or out and about???

Cheers
Bomber_WA

Re: Running lights etc off a battery

Postby ben... » Wed Mar 18, 2009 7:52 pm

besides installing a battery in the camper trailer, you could consider these packs http://sidewinder.com.au/page18a.html inverters have there use, however if you want to run a laptop off one, youre best to get a 12v laptop power supply. You can get them from jaycar. Lighting wise you may already have this sorted, but LED or 12v Fluro is the go.
ben...
Post Machine!

Postby Blue Bravo » Wed Mar 18, 2009 9:46 pm

For just a couple of lights you might get away with a battery kickstarter. They are charged by plugging into power point at home and running a light will last some days. The more appliances you want to run the more power and storage you need. Then its a slippery slope to dual battery systems, solar panels and generators. :grin:
Glenn
A member of the leisure class
Blue Bravo
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby Redback » Mon Mar 23, 2009 9:10 am

Get a couple of 12v LED fluros for lighting, as for the charging and running of the others, your gunna need some way of keepin charge up to the battery in the camper, a small solar panel (20watts) will trickle charge it during the day, idealy you should have a contoller to charge the battery from the car as well, this way it can be charged while driving to the camp spot your going too, the controller can be in the camper if you don't want a dual battery system in the car.

I have a controller in my camper that charges the camper battery while driving, it is isolated when the ignition is off, if you need too you can just hook the car up and charge the camper battery via the car by leaving it running for 30mins

Charging the camper battery at home is just a matter of plugging the battery on to a 240v 3 stage charger, these charger bring the battery to full charge then trickle charge it to maintain it at full charge untill your next trip.

Baz.
01 Discovery TD5 Locked & Lifted & Redback Country Camper Trailer
We swear by the Southern Cross to stand truly by each other and fight to defend our rights and liberties.
Peter Lalor
Redback
Blatant Padder

Postby campgadget » Mon May 11, 2009 6:39 pm

Go deep cycle (agm) at least a 125ah so you can use 90ah.... never use all of it. and hook up a solar panel. Springers.com.au they have it all.
campgadget

Postby YouAndI » Wed May 13, 2009 12:52 pm

After your first couple of trips your going to be saying, I don't want to go home. :grin:

Here Is Our Power Set-Up:

• Jeep is wired to charge the camper batteries when driving.
  • (2) deep cell Optima batteries on camper.
  • Solar Panel trickle charger on tri-pod. (15 Watts)
  • Yamaha Inverter generator 1,000 Watt.

(Total 12Volt DC = Engel Frig/Freezer, LED Lights, Fans, Charge-Cell Phones/Laptop, Compact DVD Player, etc.)

Image Lets Go Camping!
Alan & Christine
Jeep & Tentrax AT Off Road Camper
Webshots: Click Here

YouAndI
Camping King

Postby Smileandhug » Wed May 13, 2009 2:07 pm

I went to BCF store which are here in Brisbane and for $13 I brought a three way connector system like ya have on a boat that they attach to the dash of a boat. I mounted that on a peice of wood and made up three separate metal connectors that I attached to the wood and numbered them one to three.So you have three individual switches (ON/OFF), with fuses with three separate power leads. The three switches are all on the one peice of alumiunim so all i did was extended the one negative lead as they are all connected as one and applied a O ring connector so I can attach it to the battery. The other three individual red power wires I also extended and applied to three separate metal connectors. Then run a positive cable from the 3 way switch to the battery and I applied another O ring. I have one peice of metal attached to the wood that is big enough to accept 3 negative alligator clips.
I have a normal car battery in a battery box, I apply the positive n negative terminals from my 3 way switch thus i have three separate powerpoints you might say. So I run a 11W light off one, a car radio and my 12V truck van off all of this. So I connect them all up. Thats is all negative alligator clips to the one metal earth on the wood and the other three red leads to each of the three separate respective metal plates. So at nite i might just have the light on so I turn it on or i might need the fan on to so I have two switches on. All two easy and ya just leave it that way the whole time ya camping.
Its all compact, sits on top of my battery box and each item has a alligator positive and negative switch on it.
I AM LIKE A HOLE IN THE GROUND WITH WATER IN IT - I AM WELL
Smileandhug
Camping Veteran

Postby steve794 » Wed May 13, 2009 8:45 pm

Hi Smileandhug
Is it possible to post a photo of this setup? Cheers Steve
steve794

Postby Smileandhug » Thu May 14, 2009 4:13 pm

Yeah I am going camping next Wedenesday so will take a picture for you. Will also take a picture of a 11W light I made out of a lead light. All I did to that was cut the power switch off and added a cigarette plug in to that end and brought a 11W 12V light bulb from a light shop. So u end up with a covered light bulb you can hook up with a 5M lead. Awesome.
I AM LIKE A HOLE IN THE GROUND WITH WATER IN IT - I AM WELL
Smileandhug
Camping Veteran

Return to Gear Guide