Advice on a tent

Questions, comments, discussions and reviews on equipment, outdoor gear etc.

Advice on a tent

Postby big_johnnny » Fri May 26, 2006 9:59 am

Im currently planning a camping trip from the north coast of NSW back down to Sydney over 3 - 4 weeks.

Im also new to camping and never been before. I have looked on ebay and noticed a few tents for sale. I was interested in the OZTrail Dome Tent 4V PLUS.

Are they any good????

Advice needed
big_johnnny

Postby Cheiffy » Fri May 26, 2006 8:38 pm

I think you would be best off going into a camping store and viewing the product. Ask the salesperson to show you how the tent sets up and what other considerations you may want to think about as well.
I would also suggest you go to one of the older fashioned camping/disposal stores and not the new supermarket styled ones.

Cheers

Cheiffy
Please sir, Can I have some more? Time off that is.

"Hard at it"
Fruit Bat Falls, Cape York
Cheiffy
Captain Camping

Postby Ozzycamperboy » Sat May 27, 2006 12:25 am

Ebay is good to shop around for price comparison, but not for making a descision on a product. Much better to see it in the 'flesh' as chieffy said.

Also, if you are camping or sleeping on your own, have you considered a swag? Much easier to set up - basically just unroll it :lol: - and take up about the same space. Can get a decent one for under 200 with a nice, comfy mattress. I paid $99 for my swag, another $80 for top notch mattress and about $15 on waterproofer agent (spray on stuff) to make it more waterproof. IMO best camping investment evar if your single. I also have a cheapo 2 man tent from a camping disposals store for if I go camping in really cold weather.

EDIT: Just looked at the tent you mentioined on ebay.. I guess your camping with friends/family so swags out :oops: :lol:

Oztrail have a good enough reputation, BUT my swag is Oztrail, and it too was supposed to be 'waterproof' :roll: ... learnt the hard way didn't I... waterproof doesn't nessesarily mean it keeps all the water out, go figure :shock: (I fixed that with additives). I'd still go look at that tent in store first, just to get an idea on size and compare the price (ebay isn't always the cheapest), and when they say 6 man tent, they really mean 3-4 comfortably, 6 is a sardine can.

Hope this helps.
Life's too short to be grumpy, SMILE :mrgreen:
PM me for all your window cleaning, pressure cleaning, and commercial cleaning needs!!
Nathan's Window Cleaning
Ozzycamperboy
Site Admin

Postby big_johnnny » Sun May 28, 2006 11:00 pm

Cheiffy and ozzycamperboy cheers for that. I am gunna head and check out a few camping shops when I get a chance as i got time on hand, Just preparign early. just thought id throw the question... Maybe someone you knew had one???? or someone else here had one and could either recommend or give it the thumbs down..

Im not heading until around mid Nov when when the fishing starts to kick off into summer and get back before the holidays start and leave the raindeers a carrot n the old man a beer.
big_johnnny

Return to Gear Guide