Canvas or...?

Questions, comments, discussions and reviews on equipment, outdoor gear etc.

Canvas or...?

Postby knoath » Tue Apr 14, 2009 5:17 pm

I'm looking for a new tent. Me and the missus, two young boys.

What are the pros/cons of canvas vs. the rest?
I'm after some info that will help me decide on which to purchase.

TIA
Dick
knoath
Captain Camping

Re: Canvas or...?

Postby CampGrrlz » Tue Apr 14, 2009 5:36 pm

knoath wrote:I'm looking for a new tent...What are the pros/cons of canvas vs. the rest?

Hi Dick ...
pro for canvas ... breathes a bit more than all-synthetic; good poly canvas can be stronger than synthetics but there's many qualities available in both.
con for canvas ... weighs more; must be totally dry before storage, packing wet only if no other option.
There's not much in it either way and it's so individual a preference (and probably more pros and cons than I've thought about) that the style of tent, size and whether it meets your needs are likely to be more important than the material it's made from.

Happy camping whether under canvas or synthetic ...

Elaine
Two old boilers are armchair Glampers ;-)
CampGrrlz
Camping Queens

Postby GypsyLady » Tue Apr 14, 2009 6:24 pm

Dick, it will depend on what sort of budget you have. Tents have come a long way in recent years with synthetic dome dents being very popular and inexpensive.

Like Elaine said, canvas is great in many ways...except maybe cost, weight & care when wet.

When looking at synthetic tents, make sure they have heaps of ventilation & the biggest recommendation is to 'tarp over' irrespective as to whether you have canvas or synthetic. This will aid in keeping you warmer in the winter camps and cooler in the summer camps. It will also assist in keeping bird droppings and the like off your tent.

It will also give you an extended area in which to set up the kitchen and eating area.

Have a look back through the old posts and you will get heaps of great info & see some good pics of camps set up as well.

Cheers Gypsy.....

The worst day camping still beats the best day working
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby knoath » Tue Apr 14, 2009 9:26 pm

Thanks for the replies ladies.
More opinions welcomed!

Dick
knoath
Captain Camping

Return to Gear Guide