Solar Shower

Questions, comments, discussions and reviews on equipment, outdoor gear etc.

Solar Shower

Postby markcrook » Tue Jun 09, 2009 4:32 pm

I have always wanted to try these and wondered if they are any good? Does anyone know how long a 20 litre bag would last? I have seen some 40l bags but I guess they get pretty heavy when full.

We camp in the warmer months as we are now to soft for anything else, so I don't think the sun/heating it will be an issue, it tends to be high low to mid 30's in the summer - can they get to hot?
Knock me down I get right back up again,
Come back stronger than a powered-up Pac Man
markcrook
Blatant Padder

Re: Solar Shower

Postby GypsyLady » Tue Jun 09, 2009 5:59 pm

I used solar showers for many years Mark and was always happy with the performance.

Re how long the 20 litres would last....well that is up to the user and how he/she uses the water OR if you are asking how long the bag lasts then again that is pretty much up to how you treat them.

I have had some expensive ones and some cheapies, $5.00 ones and must say the dearer ones did last longer but the overall performance was pretty much similar.

However in saying that, I feel that they all probably come from the same manufacturer these days.

Living in Qld they are ideal in the summer months but do tend to lose their heat pretty quickly. I have on more than one occasion added some extra hot water or alternatively just heated the billy and added some cold water if I have not put them out in time.

My personal opinion these days is to opt for the little 12 volt showers, the ones you pop into the bucket of warm water. I believe they are overall more convenient but one is lucky to get little more than 12 months out of a unit as the internals gunge up pretty quickly. Keep them clean and you will get longer out of them.

Hot, no I have never experienced them getting too hot but then maybe it depends on when you use them.

Hope this answers your question.

Cheers......

The worst day camping still beats the best day working
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby Komodo » Thu Jun 11, 2009 5:13 pm

Those showers in a bag can get TOO hot if your not careful - but like Gyps said they dont hold the heat very well - ie as soon as the sun disapears the bag goes cold.

I personally think that GL is right 12V shower and a bucket (steel bucket you can chuck on the fire for a few minutes is good ;)) You can pick up a small 12V shower for about $20 and if you want it really portable then you can get a small 12V battery to go with it also. Jaycar can sort you out with both battery and shower.

In saying that I have also seen the portable showers which have a battery pack available too which are a little more expencive but all very neat and tidy and a proper unit.

Over all FAR cheaper than the likes of a coleman/primus style LPG gas HWS and not much more than a $5 shower bag
A place I'd rather be...
Mitchel Road, Bomjinna. Central West Victoria (Jan '08)
Komodo
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby MDC » Thu Jun 11, 2009 9:19 pm

As others have said, the solar showers work quite well but tend to lose their heat quickly. 20l is enough for a decent shower for a couple. Just rember to rinse, turn off, lather, rinse and you'll be fine. If you're anything like my wife, take a metal garbage bin, put it on the fire to warm up and have your 20 min shower ::()

By the way, 20l of water is 20kg, 40l is 40kg. I'd avoid the 40l. 40kg is a task for some people to lift over their head and attempt to hook up to a pole.

The hand held battery powered ones with heated water are the way to go. I've seen some really interesting camp showers during my short time camping. One of the best I've seen is a cheap boat bilge pump sitting in a bucket with a basin shower head, extended with a hose... the shower heads are the ones you buy from Woolies and use for baby showers or dog showers! The guy I saw using it had it for years and had no issues. The boat bilge pumps are made to be in water and run on a 12v car battery. They won't draw enough power to drain your car battery unless you're using it for hours a day.
MDC
Captain Camping

Postby Ozzycamperboy » Thu Jun 11, 2009 9:25 pm

x3 on the 12V showers.

Got mine from supercheap. I usually boil a couple of liters of water, and add it to 20L for a warm shower. Don't know why anyone would bother with a 'solar' one :?
Life's too short to be grumpy, SMILE :mrgreen:
PM me for all your window cleaning, pressure cleaning, and commercial cleaning needs!!
Nathan's Window Cleaning
Ozzycamperboy
Site Admin

Postby markcrook » Fri Jun 12, 2009 11:56 am

Had a look at the 12v showers, think that is what I am going to get - will have a look tomorrow to see if K-mart do them.

Thanks for the help guys
Knock me down I get right back up again,
Come back stronger than a powered-up Pac Man
markcrook
Blatant Padder

Return to Gear Guide