Plastic Zip lubrication ?

Questions, comments, discussions and reviews on equipment, outdoor gear etc.

Plastic Zip lubrication ?

Postby jcd » Thu Sep 03, 2009 10:18 am

I have an OzTent RV-2 and the carrying bag is starting to show the effects of being exposed to the sun and elements when carried on the roof rack. The long plastic zipper is getting harder to open/close and is starting to feel a bit brittle. So can anyone recommend the best way to preserve and lubricate the plastic zipper ?

Bye Jeff.
NS Pajero SWB R, Diesel, Automatic, Cooper Discovery ATR's, AirTech Snorkel, LRA Aux. Fuel Tank, Dual Batteries, Thule Aerobars & Roof Box, OzTent RV-2
jcd
Boy Scout

Re: Plastic Zip lubrication ?

Postby Woodsy » Thu Sep 03, 2009 11:05 am

Maybe a little bit of vasoline on the zip? I would imagine there would be abit of dirt etc in the zip especially if its been on roof racks so maybe take it out of the bag and give the bag a good hose down or something. I probably wouldn't put wd40 or anything on it as it will get all over the bag.
Cheers Josh
Woodsy
Blatant Padder

Postby GypsyLady » Thu Sep 03, 2009 12:03 pm

Not from personal experience but the 2 things I have heard recommended are candle wax or silicon spray.

I also have a feeling I have heard of a dry lubricant type spray/powder or similar as well but cannot tell you any more than that. Maybe try an auto shop or even ring a canvas place.

Being a plastic zipper may limit what you can treat it with.....
The worst day camping still beats the best day working
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby Titch » Thu Sep 03, 2009 12:48 pm

Pure velvet soap or a stick of dry lube (auto shops)
multiple uses for both.
Titch
Marriage Equals a life Sentence
Titch
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby DamoS » Fri Sep 04, 2009 12:18 am

Silcone spray is the best to use as it won't mark the tents canvas and will last longer the others will clog up the zip over time.
Cheers
Damo
DamoS
Boy Scout

Postby Cheiffy » Sat Sep 05, 2009 1:35 pm

Usually a dry lube would be best as this will minimise the dust collecting and becoming a mud like substance. We also have an OZTent and our bag is also showing its age. I think when it does bite the dust, I will have one made out of canvas which we can simply roll the tent in and seal with a velcro strip. Who knows, I may even get the set up time down to 25 seconds.

Cheers
Please sir, Can I have some more? Time off that is.

"Hard at it"
Fruit Bat Falls, Cape York
Cheiffy
Captain Camping

Postby Little Kopit » Sat Sep 05, 2009 2:03 pm

Most plastic has a tendency to crystalize and fragment over time.

Replacement is not that hard, not to someone who is good with a sewing machine and has a decent sewing machine.

Such might be your next door neighbor (me if I lived near you) or it might be someone who does work for people with boats.

:)
& I, I took the road less travelled by

My Photo Album, featuring Labrador 2006
Little Kopit
Camping Veteran

Postby oldtrack123 » Sat Sep 05, 2009 4:28 pm

Hi
I have found "Supalube" dry film lubracant ["silicon based] does a good job on plastic zips
oldtrack123
Camping King

Postby Derek Bullock » Sun Sep 06, 2009 11:11 pm

Jeff

If you are experiencing that sort of problem then contact Oz Tent and tell them what is going on. Joe takes great pride in producing a good long lasting product and would be keen to hear of the problem and may have a solution for you.

Email to info@oztent.com or call them on 1800 632 416.
Derek Bullock
Camp Oven KING!

Postby jcd » Tue Sep 08, 2009 7:51 am

Thanks for all the suggestions. I'll have a look for some silicon based lubricant as that sounds the best for use on plastic.

Derek wrote:Jeff
If you are experiencing that sort of problem then contact Oz Tent and tell them what is going on. Joe takes great pride in producing a good long lasting product and would be keen to hear of the problem and may have a solution for you.
Email to info@oztent.com or call them on 1800 632 416.

I don't think there is really a problem with the manufacture of the product, it has just seen a lot of use. Over the last 5 years my Oztent has probably spent at least 8 months on the road, including a 3.5 month trip around Oz on long service leave.

Bye Jeff.
NS Pajero SWB R, Diesel, Automatic, Cooper Discovery ATR's, AirTech Snorkel, LRA Aux. Fuel Tank, Dual Batteries, Thule Aerobars & Roof Box, OzTent RV-2
jcd
Boy Scout

Return to Gear Guide