Replacement Poles, where to get?

Questions, comments, discussions and reviews on equipment, outdoor gear etc.

Replacement Poles, where to get?

Postby powerslide » Thu Sep 10, 2009 10:53 am

Several years ago I bought a 3 room tent from Kmart, Have served us well but the last time i went camping had a huge storm and two of the poles got bent.

Unfortunately these poles are menat to be bent and therefore not standard poles but now the bent part approximately 3 inches is weak and need to get some replacements. While i know buying from Kmart probably reduces my chances of getting replacement poles but anyone know where i can go? Preferably somewhere in Sydney... otherwise will need to get them freighted.
powerslide

Re: Replacement Poles, where to get?

Postby amanda » Thu Sep 10, 2009 11:58 am

If they are poles for a dome style tent try your local camping store. Most of them sell quite a good variety and will probably have something suitable. I needed a couple of "not so ordinary" poles for one of mine, and my store made some adjustments to ones they had in stock and solved the problem for me.

If the'yre the aluminium style poles, have you tried bending them back into shape with a bit of brute force with a hammer or something? Whenever I've had bent poles in the past I've just given them a good bash, and while they're never back to being perfect, they're certainly able to be used.
It's all fun and games until someone gets hurt - then it's bloody hilarious!
amanda
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby powerslide » Thu Sep 10, 2009 12:05 pm

I am going to ask the camping store this weekend, to see what they can do but as I am going camping again on the October long weekend want to make sure if I need to get them sent i will have time.

I was able to bend the poles back to the correct angle, but they are no longer as strong at that point as they used to. a bit of force is supllied to this poles and they bend straight away. When it happened i had to use a rope tightley lashed around the bend to provide a little more strength to get the tent to stay up.... but if i got some strong wind it wouldn't last very long.
powerslide

Postby Woodsy » Thu Sep 10, 2009 1:03 pm

powerslide have you tried a slightly smaller pole jammed up the inside of the bent pole? It should straighten it out and will make it strong again. The tighter the fit the better.
Cheers Josh
Woodsy
Blatant Padder

Postby powerslide » Thu Sep 10, 2009 4:42 pm

Josh

I guess that would work if the bent part was supposed to be straight.... but the bent part that is now weakened is supposed to have about 15 degrees to the horizontal, strained with the flexible poles in an arc.
powerslide

Postby Komodo » Tue Oct 27, 2009 3:16 pm

Try these guys. Also a picture of the poles in question might help for other suggestions.

http://www.greerandkent.com.au/about.htm
A place I'd rather be...
Mitchel Road, Bomjinna. Central West Victoria (Jan '08)
Komodo
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby GypsyLady » Tue Oct 27, 2009 9:17 pm

This is a pretty old post Komodo.....
The worst day camping still beats the best day working
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Return to Gear Guide