Tent recommendations contains newbie questions

Questions, comments, discussions and reviews on equipment, outdoor gear etc.

Tent recommendations contains newbie questions

Postby bethie » Sun Sep 20, 2009 1:58 pm

I currently own a Oztrail Family 4

http://www.oztrail.com.au/dome-tent-ran ... -FA4-B.php

It is a nice enough tent but it is a bit big to put up and down by myself for overnight stays. The children are too young to do anything more than hold pegs or catch some of the fly. I would really like a tent that is quick to put and down. I have been looking at Black Wolf tents. The turbos look great and would fit the bill except even the smallest one is too heavy for me to pick up and load onto the roof racks (sedan).

I was considering the Tuff Dome Twin but have not seen one being put up. The finished product looks great and is very roomy but I am not able to reach the top via the outside. How are they set up? Do the poles get fed through the fabric prior to raising like on the oztrail or are they already connected to the tent like the Turbos and you just push up to lock the poles into place?

Any other tent recommendations?
bethie

Re: Tent recommendations contains newbie questions

Postby Al&Sharon » Sun Sep 20, 2009 3:08 pm

Hi Bethie what about the oztent http://au.oztent.com/ 30 seconds to put up and the kids could knock the pegs in.
Al&Sharon
Post Machine!

Postby GypsyLady » Sun Sep 20, 2009 8:32 pm

Al&Sharon wrote:Hi Bethie what about the oztent http://au.oztent.com/ 30 seconds to put up and the kids could knock the pegs in.

I think the Oztent will also be too heavy to lift up to the roofracks Bethie.

Why don't you try a smaller version of the dome tent?? I have a 4 person one (DMH)and my elderly mother can put it up.
The worst day camping still beats the best day working
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby neilg » Sun Sep 20, 2009 9:32 pm

Hi Bethie,

We recently purchased a Oztrail Tourer 9 Plus for 400 plus the side pole kit for an additional 40 bucks.

We sleep 2 adults plus 2 young kids in it with no problem. The real beauty is how easy it is to put up. When we looked at some of the others they were so hard to put up but this one really is easy.....maybe 5 minutes after a couple of goes.

Cheers,
Neil
neilg

Postby Blue Bravo » Sun Sep 20, 2009 10:11 pm

Whilst the Oz Tent Tourers are quick and easy to put up they are canvas and thus a bit on the heavy side for lifting onto your roof racks. If weight is the issue then you are looking at dome tents. Perhaps you could consider 2 small domes, 1 for sleeping and one for gear ?
Glenn
A member of the leisure class
Blue Bravo
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby Titch » Sun Sep 20, 2009 11:31 pm

If I may
We have an Oz Tent.
Fantastic thing , Heavy?? not sure, my wife picks it up better than me overshoulder,
Undershoulder height no probs,
I have rebuilt shoulders.
just something to think off.
Oz Tent no 2 around 18 klg I think.
heavy when alone and lifting on roof racks
Fast to set up. Very much so.
expensive yes.
very.
Titch
Marriage Equals a life Sentence
Titch
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby Dettie » Mon Sep 21, 2009 10:09 am

Bethie, I'm in the same boat. I"m taking my son camping in 2 weeks time and a few weeks ago ended up buying the Black Wold Mojave 4... it's fantastic! Super light and was easy for me to put up on my own with my son holding the peg/pole at the other end. We did a trial a few weeks ago.

Dettie
The Queen of Glamping... in my mind anyway!
Dettie
Blatant Padder

Postby GoldCoast » Mon Sep 21, 2009 1:54 pm

gypsylady wrote:
Al&Sharon wrote:Hi Bethie what about the oztent http://au.oztent.com/ 30 seconds to put up and the kids could knock the pegs in.

I think the Oztent will also be too heavy to lift up to the roofracks Bethie.

Why don't you try a smaller version of the dome tent?? I have a 4 person one (DMH)and my elderly mother can put it up.

Would putting the tent components into two bags instead of one help give more tent choices within the lifting onto roof rack weight limitation?
GoldCoast
Boy Scout

Postby GypsyLady » Mon Sep 21, 2009 4:46 pm

The Oztent only comes in one piece....have a look at the demo on their website http://au.oztent.com/

It folds up long, about 2 metres and weighs about 16kgs or so.
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby bethie » Mon Sep 21, 2009 5:18 pm

Thanks for the oztent suggestions. I'd like to see one up close. Rather expensive but could be worth it. I like the ozpod that goes with it too. I'll keep an eye out for Tourer Plus's too.

Where abouts are DMH tents sold? I've never heard of that brand before but a google tells me they are definitely around.
bethie

Postby Derek Bullock » Mon Sep 21, 2009 7:33 pm

bethie wrote:Thanks for the oztent suggestions. I'd like to see one up close. Rather expensive but could be worth it. I like the ozpod that goes with it too. I'll keep an eye out for Tourer Plus's too.

Where abouts are DMH tents sold? I've never heard of that brand before but a google tells me they are definitely around.

DMH are pretty well sold everywhere. Here is the DMH Website http://www.dmhoutdoors.com/index.html Follow the links on the 'Contact Us' page to find their stockists.
Derek Bullock
Camp Oven KING!

Postby GypsyLady » Mon Sep 21, 2009 7:41 pm

I have 3 DMH tents and they have been around for many years. My oldest DMH tent (Tanami) must be somewhere about 12 - 15 years old by now and still in very good condition.

I can't remember when I bought it now but I do remember that I bought it from Down Under Camping at Salisbury.

GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby GypsyLady » Mon Sep 21, 2009 7:45 pm

bethie wrote:Thanks for the oztent suggestions. I'd like to see one up close. Rather expensive but could be worth it.

I only mentioned the website so that you could get an idea what it looked like and how it folded up.

Bethie...you don't say where you are but if you are in the greater Brisbane area then you might like to know there is a Caravan & Camping pre xmas sale etc coming up at the RNA showgrounds next month. You could always go and have a look at the Oztent and many others there.
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby bethie » Tue Sep 22, 2009 1:13 pm

Fantastic idea. We'll be there! Is that the retirement and lifestyle one?
bethie

Postby Derek Bullock » Tue Sep 22, 2009 9:16 pm

bethie wrote:Fantastic idea. We'll be there! Is that the retirement and lifestyle one?

Lookee here http://www.caravanqld.com.au/events/pre ... -sale.aspx
Derek Bullock
Camp Oven KING!

Next

Return to Gear Guide