Spinifex - Avoid at all costs

Questions, comments, discussions and reviews on equipment, outdoor gear etc.

Spinifex - Avoid at all costs

Postby BadSeed » Tue Nov 24, 2009 7:53 pm

Hi, I am new here but have been camping for a lot of years, I can see that there are some good people and a lot of good advice to be found here.
I will start with my first post being negative.
This is a bit of a rant/whinge about spinifex but if it stops 1 person from wasting money it will be worth it.
Here is a message which I sent to spinifex on 15/10, they did not have the decency to respond.
I will let it speak for itself.

I have been a camper for approximately 30 years, now that we have a young family we have been enjoying a few camping holidays a year for the last 6-7 years.

In April 2008 we decided to upgrade our tent from the reliable OZtrail which we have owned since 2002. The OZtrail tent was still in perfect condition but we decided that it would be nice to have a separate room for the children and more space generally.

We visited Anaconda in Joondalup, WA to look for a new tent. We decided on a Spinifex Jardine for the family and a Spinifex Canning for overnight stops and weekend fishing where a large tent was not really required. The salesman in Anaconda told us the Spinifex tents were popular and as good quality as the OZtrail which we were replacing.

These 2 Spinifex tents are, without a doubt, the worst quality tents I have ever owned.

The Canning has a zip which started to burst open if it even fastened at all, now the zip will not fasten ever and the tent will not close rendering it useless. On a recent trip we had to stay in a Motel due to the failure of the Canning to close.

The Jardine has a zip which will rarely close and I suspect that this is going the same way as the zip on the Canning and will shortly be useless. On a recent trip to the North West a slight breeze (not strong wind) caused some of the poles to split, which I had to repair with PVC tape and some of the peg points have also ripped out. The sewn in ground sheet in the communal area of the tent is showing signs of wearing thin and will shortly have holes (something I have never seen in any tent)

A quick search of camping forums has shown that these are common problems with Spinifex tents, I only wish I had done more research before wasting my money.

Unfortunately I no longer have the receipts for these tents or I would try to return them to the store as not fit for purpose.

The Canning is now awaiting bulk rubbish collection as after just 18 moths it is useless. We are probably stuck with the Jardine until the zip fails completely or the poles and fixings suffer further catastrophic failure. This will probably be only one more trip.

We do no not camp in extreme places or conditions, the Jardine has only ever been used in caravan parks. For these tents to fail after such a short life is, in my opinion, an indication of very poor manufacture and quality of parts. How much more would a good quality zip cost? Or a good quality ground sheet?

Obviously, I have purchased my last Spinifex products.
My other signature is better than this one
BadSeed

Re: Spinifex - Avoid at all costs

Postby Derek Bullock » Tue Nov 24, 2009 9:55 pm

Have a lot of praise for Spinifex products myself as do a lot of people I know on this forum and elsewhere.

Why don't you take them back and get them replaced or get your money back. As Anaconda are the only supplier of them I am sure you will not have any difficulty.
Derek Bullock
Camp Oven KING!

Postby Bradd » Tue Nov 24, 2009 10:11 pm

I have found Anaconda to be pretty good with returns.
And I was even given a better brand for same price when they couldn't supply an advertised sale item.
And while the only Spinifex tent I have hasn't been used yet ($29 - 2 man dome) as my 15 yo would rather
sleep in the Camper trailer Annexe that I have set up rather than spend 5 minutes setting up his own tent.
I was never under the impression that Spinifex was anything other than a cheap store brand product.

If you used Eftpos or Credit card there will be some record of the transaction if they want proof of the date of purchase.
Some national parks have long waiting lists for camping reservations.
When you have to wait a year to sleep next to a tree, something is wrong. ~George Carlin
Bradd
Camping Oracle

Postby GypsyLady » Wed Nov 25, 2009 8:14 am

I agree with the others.....take it back to the store of purchase, you have absolutely nothing to lose in doing so.

Also are you a member of the Anaconda Club, if so they should have record of your purchase through this if you have not paid by card. Give them a chance to right the wrong BadSeed, you may be pleasantly surprised.

The worst day camping still beats the best day working
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby spinyeel » Fri Nov 27, 2009 8:29 pm

I have also had problems with cheap tents. It can ruin a good tip for sure. :x I have recently purchased two South Australian made heavy duty touring tents second hand for a total cost of $150. These tents are exceptionally well made and would cost $1500 each if purchased new. It pays to shop around. I would never buy anything from McAnaconda's. :booty
spinyeel
Camping King

Postby BadSeed » Fri Nov 27, 2009 11:11 pm

I will try to take them back tomorrow afternoon, I suppose I have nothing to lose.
This could be my last trip to Anaconda, there is a BCF and Ranger within a stones throw and both price match so I don't need Anaconda.

Lets see how much they value a good customer....
BadSeed

Postby Young Camping Family » Sat Nov 28, 2009 11:11 am

Make sure there are lots of people in the store and talk in a loud voice... :lol:
Young Camping Family
Camping Veteran

Postby BadSeed » Sat Nov 28, 2009 5:57 pm

Yay!!! good result from Anaconda. :grin:

I took both tents back to Anaconda this afternoon. I went to the front desk and spoke to the shop assistant there.
I explained what issues I had with both tents and his response was
"We will refund $429.00 for the Jardine as that is the current price in the catalogue" - on special reduced from rrp $600
"We won't give you any refund for the Canning as we don't stock them anymore and it is over a year old"

So I wasn't too happy with this as we payed full price for the big tent (Jardine), the little tent (Canning) was only $70 so I was not really bothered about that.

So I patiently listened to him wielding his bit of power for a little while, saying he couldn't possibly refund me fully as there was no receipt and the tent is cheaper now etc
Then he said he wasn't authorised to make the decisions regarding refunds. So I asked to speak to someone who could.

The store manager came out and was really good. He looked up the average price that both tents had been sold for in the previous year (Jardine -$450 Canning -$100) and we agreed on $550.
Which was a good result for me, considering I had written them off before posting here.

The Coleman 12 CV Montana was on special for $749 with a free Coleman gas lamp (rrp $129) so I got one of them.
I know I could have got the coleman for $50-$60 cheaper elsewhere but I needed a new lamp anyway. So good result all round for me and Anaconda get to keep me as a happy customer.

Thanks for the advice you have saved me a lot of money :+
BadSeed

Postby Titch » Sat Nov 28, 2009 8:01 pm

With no receipts I suggest that is a Magnificent out come.
No Yelling or screaming can achieve a lot.
Well done.
Titch
Marriage Equals a life Sentence
Titch
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby smiththenovice » Mon Nov 30, 2009 11:30 am

Good job...and I think you'll enjoy your Coleman Montana 12, we love ours!
smiththenovice
Captain Camping

Postby GypsyLady » Mon Nov 30, 2009 12:58 pm

Definitely worth the effort then. Glad to hear the outcome was better than you expected....makes a nice change.
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby Derek Bullock » Mon Nov 30, 2009 10:40 pm

Hi again.

So pleased that you got a satisfactory result. The CEO of Anaconda is a member of my Camp Oven Cooking Forum. He joined up to explain to our members about the Cobb Cookers that Anaconda sell after there was some negative posts about the.

I regularly get emails from people asking me what products to buy and if Anaconda have them then I will recommend them always. Below is an email from someone who I sent there to get a camp oven.

Hello Derek

I took your advise and went to Anaconda and got myself a model 12 Dutch oven , the Camp Chef one with the Lewis and Clark emblem on the lid. It was 90 bucks but because I am a member they said if i spend 100 bucks I get 40 bucks off so I got a trivet also and got the lot for 60 bucks. What a bargain, thanks for the advice. Cooked a roast in it when i got it home and was just the best. Thanks again.
Derek Bullock
Camp Oven KING!

Postby BadSeed » Tue Dec 01, 2009 2:09 pm

Thanks for your replies, I know how lucky I have been and I appreciate the Anaconda have gone above and beyond what I expected.
I was not in a position to get all alpha male and start chest beating and yelling. However, I was prepared to leave Anaconda and never return.

So Anaconda get to keep me as a customer (I spent $750.00 there and then) but Spinifex tents are still atrocious and I stand by my initial email to them (which they ignored)

My Coleman tent on the other hand is fantastic, I put it up on Sunday afternoon to have a look, it goes up easy, is rock solid and very well made. Very god quality and you can tell it is built to last.
Never had a problem with Coleman products (My Road Trip LXE is my favourite bit of camping gear)
BadSeed

Postby GypsyLady » Tue Dec 01, 2009 3:29 pm

BadSeed wrote:Very god quality and you can tell it is built to last.

I am sure it is pretty good BadSeed but not sure it quite comes into the godlike category. lol...
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby BadSeed » Tue Dec 01, 2009 9:17 pm

:grin: Not going to get away with editing it now am I
BadSeed

Next

Return to Gear Guide