Which

Questions, comments, discussions and reviews on equipment, outdoor gear etc.

Which

Postby encorepi » Mon Dec 28, 2009 11:46 am

:hello:
Hi all. I have been away from this forum for some time now. last time I was looking at which tent to buy. I ended up with a huge Oztrail Sportiva Peninsula second hand cost me $200 and it is fantastic (worth well over $600 new).

Now our Queen sized air mattress has given up the ghost and I am looking to buy a replacement. We went to the local small independant camping store. The man told us to buy two of the best self inflating mattresses we could find, so we went out and bought the top of the range from Kathmandu on 50% off sale. Now they are on sale again and I am wondering do we buy a second on, as I did find my hip and shoulder would still touch the ground or the mattress was so stiff it didn't give at all (the princess and the pea, what can I say?), or is there a better option?

Anyone who has an air mattress, self inflating mattress or combo I would be most interested in hearing from. I looked at the DMH 4WD mattresses and the coleman quickbed, but I can't find many reviews.

Thanks in advance.

Jodi
encorepi
Boy Scout

Re: Which

Postby Blue Bravo » Mon Dec 28, 2009 9:15 pm

Were the self inflating mattresses for hiking. If so then they are smaller and thinner than those sold as 4wheel drive mattresses.
Glenn
A member of the leisure class
Blue Bravo
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby Mandrake » Mon Dec 28, 2009 10:44 pm

We swapped our 75mm Sponge mattress for a self inflating job from BCF ( queen size ) It inflates to about 50mm and thats not quite enough to keep us off the camper bed panel - But space wise it has saved us a heap of room in the tiny Tardis ...takes a bit of effort to fold up and deflate but worth it just to have the extra space available . 25mm thick memory foam mattress is on the list for the next big trip ..

PC222492sm.jpg

Cheers

Mandrake
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
For all your Solar Power needs

Mandrake's Solar Power
http://www.solarsteve1950.com
Mandrake
Camping King

Postby encorepi » Sat Jan 02, 2010 8:28 am

Hiking, seriously? Lol.

No, not a hiker. Just want a really comfy option for camping, staying put at tidal river.

Thanks.

Jodi
encorepi
Boy Scout

Postby sienna » Sat Jan 02, 2010 10:01 pm

I have a self inflating mattress, queen I think. I forget which brand it is, even though I just spent 2wks sleeping on it, :roll: but it is 80mm thick and also has a foam mattress inside it, in case of puncture. I find it quite comfy and I am a fussy sleeper, too. The only thing is that it is very hard to roll back up because of it's size and for this reason I have left it inflated on top of my camper trailer.
I would suggest getting one of those foam mattress toppers that look like the inside of an egg carton. They are about $65 for queen size at Big W or you can go to a bed place for a better quality one.
sienna
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Return to Gear Guide