gasmate 3 way fridge? $299

Questions, comments, discussions and reviews on equipment, outdoor gear etc.

gasmate 3 way fridge? $299

Postby karen201 » Sat Jan 30, 2010 7:03 pm

Hi everyone
Repco have got gasmate 3 way fridge for $299. 35 ltr
What does everyone think? wasn't sure whether to get that or cooler box, but it seemed a very good price?
karen
karen201
Boy Scout

Re: gasmate 3 way fridge? $299

Postby GypsyLady » Sat Jan 30, 2010 7:11 pm

A number of people have bought them Karen and I can't see where there has been any issues. I have a girlfreind who bought one a couple of years ago and she is very happy with hers.

The only issue could be the cabling, might need upgrading to make it work better on 12 volt.

One other thing is that 3 way fridges must be level to operate properly.

The worst day camping still beats the best day working
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby dea » Sat Jan 30, 2010 7:50 pm

we have one that was bought at kmart by my inlaws & we got it from them , works a treat .. we use it for our drinks .... they are great , we have a 80lt fridge freezer one too ...best things we ever bought for our camping adventures
dea
Camping Oracle

Postby Young Camping Family » Mon Feb 01, 2010 4:34 pm

Yep - we hope to have one for Easter time when we are going away again. When you consider you are going to pay $200+ for a icebox (which requires ice and will defrost) the extra money is worth it IMO.
Young Camping Family
Camping Veteran

Postby GypsyLady » Mon Feb 01, 2010 5:59 pm

Young Camping Family wrote: When you consider you are going to pay $200+ for a icebox (which requires ice and will defrost) the extra money is worth it IMO.

Don't forget you need an energy source for it as well.......unless you only intend on staying on powered sites.
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby Jo&Kev » Tue Feb 02, 2010 1:13 pm

We have a Jackaroo (K-Mart) one that cost about that. Gypsy is correct, standard car cabling to a cigarette lighter socket may not be up to the current draw, so you may need to install some heavier bacling and sockets for it to run off. I had to - the existing wiring burned out. Smells rather bad when than happens.

Other than that ours works a treat, and is very good on gas, average on 240V and ordinary on 12V.

Kev
Our blog - with bigger pics!
http://actnswcamping.blogspot.com/
Jo&Kev
Post Machine!

Postby karen201 » Tue Feb 02, 2010 6:19 pm

So don't they run very well on 240v, was going to plug it in at caravan park?
otherwise i can run it on gas.
karen201
Boy Scout

Postby GypsyLady » Tue Feb 02, 2010 8:45 pm

My old 3 way runs extremely well on gas and 240 so what Kev says about 240 is new to me.

12 volt is only ever maintenance...

Have a look back through some of the older threads Karen, there has been a bit written on them from a number of members.
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby karen201 » Wed Feb 03, 2010 1:36 pm

thanks for everyones advice
karen201
Boy Scout

Postby Jo&Kev » Wed Feb 03, 2010 2:07 pm

I should clarify...

Mine works better on LPG than 240V. Sitting in my shed when we are at home running on 240V it get's nowhere near as cold as when I run it on gas when we are away from power.

Looking at the 12V compressor fridges on the marked now, combined with my dual battery system I am considering a change over in the long term.

Kev
Our blog - with bigger pics!
http://actnswcamping.blogspot.com/
Jo&Kev
Post Machine!

Postby Young Camping Family » Thu Feb 04, 2010 2:27 pm

gypsylady wrote:
Young Camping Family wrote: When you consider you are going to pay $200+ for a icebox (which requires ice and will defrost) the extra money is worth it IMO.

Don't forget you need an energy source for it as well.......unless you only intend on staying on powered sites.

I meant more that the ice takes up room (We used 2x 2L bottles in our 25L esky which effectively reduced the capacity to less than 20L usable space by the time you have handles on the bottles etc.). When you buy a 35L 3 way, you get 35L capacity. Yes, you will need gas or power to run it, but I thought that was obvious.
Young Camping Family
Camping Veteran

Postby Redback » Thu Feb 11, 2010 10:43 am

Whatever you do, don't run it on 12v when camped, it will drain the battery in under 2hrs, only use 12v when driving.

In case you didn't know.

Baz.
01 Discovery TD5 Locked & Lifted & Redback Country Camper Trailer
We swear by the Southern Cross to stand truly by each other and fight to defend our rights and liberties.
Peter Lalor
Redback
Blatant Padder

Postby itchyvet » Sat Mar 06, 2010 8:49 pm

:( Oh Gawd, here we go again. It never ceases to amaze me, how people buy stuff they have absolutely no understanding of how it works, and the best example is these three way fridges.
OK, for the beginners here, let me explain.
These fridges work by heating chlorine gas, this gas is forced through smaller and smaller pipes thus causing cooler temps within the element.
The gas is heated by;
1. a 240 volt electric element wrapped around the heating module.
2. a 12 volt electric heating element wrapped around the heating module.
3. a system of pipes within the heating module that get heated up when the lpg gas is lit.

Notice, whilst the method of heating the module may change, the amount of heat always remains the same as it's designed to do, no matter whether 12 volt, 240 volt or gas, it stays within the thermometer regulated variables.
If your fridge is working properly, there should be no difference between cooling from whatever source your using. If it does not, you should take it to your nearest service agent to have it serviced and resolved. It has been known for gas jets to enlargen over time(burned) needing replacement, and jets becoming blocked or obstructed from foreign object within the gas. Electrical heating elements do burn out from time to time needing replacement.

IMHO, these are excellent fridges and do not get their due from the camping fraternity at all.
They are QUIET, ECONOMICAL,and run for days and days on a 9 kilo gas bottle unobtrusively keeping things cold in the back ground.
You don't need GENERATORS, masses of DC batteries, or solar panels, alternators to get the most of these fridges, just a little gas.

The trick is, if your going to use your three way fridge, turn it on 240 volt 24hrs before you plan to depart, allow the frdige to reach it's proper temperature, fill it with whatever you plan to take, don't rely on the fridge to freeze your stuff, do that with your in house freezer, then place it in the three way fridge, anything you buy, cool it down first in your home fridge, then when it's nice and cool, place it in your threeway. I'm sure you get the drift buy now. Allow it to stabilise itself before you leave.

Then place it in your car.
Now here we have a few prerequisits. The main one is automotive wiring. 99.9% of existing wiring in cars today is rated at 10 amps, so are the plugs(cigarette lighter) which is INSUFFICIENT for these fridges, they need minimum 15 amps, remember, your powering up a heating element, basicaly a coil of wire wrapped around the Module, that wire gets hot from the power running thru it, so it needs LOTS AND LOTS OF AMPS to do it's job properly, if the wire supplying the power is too small, it will over heat and can cause your car to catch fire.
So the first thing you need to do is visit your auto electrical shop and tell them to instal a wire of sufficient capacity to handle the load, together with a RELAY wired to your ignition. This will do two things, one ensure sufficient power is supplied to your fridge and two, only allow said power when engine is running, thus you'll never flatten your battery when the fridge is plugged in. Got that, turn your igniton OFF and the fridge will automatically be also turned OFF. Turn your engine back ON, and your fridge is also back ON. easy hey ?
When you reach your camp site, remove fridge from car and connect lpg, ignite and adjust temps to desired level.
I've found with our Chescold, as long as it's reasonably level, there's never been a probem.

Due to the constraints with these chlorine gas systems, these fridges loose some of their abilities if the surroundings become too hot, such as entering the tropics, their effectiveness does reduce somewhat.
This can be easily over come by fitting a Computer fan or two, to the rear and direct the airflow over the cooling system, then they operate normaly.
The power to supply these fans comes from a small solar panel(or any other 12 volt source and is minimal in amount it requires) readily available from any auto motive accessory shop.

So there we have it folks, hope there's a better understanding now, of how to make the most of your threeway fridge.
itchyvet
Captain Camping

Postby Dettie » Sun Mar 07, 2010 12:46 pm

Great post itchy and thanks for taking the time to explain. Everyone is new to electrics at some point.

Dettie
The Queen of Glamping... in my mind anyway!
Dettie
Blatant Padder

Postby spinyeel » Mon Mar 08, 2010 12:30 pm

I used mine as a beer fridge in January,during a week of high 30 degree temperatures. I kept the fridge in the shade and had cold beer 24/7. :beer For the price they are great. A 2 kilo gas bottle lasted 7 days and was not emptied.
spinyeel
Camping King

Next

Return to Gear Guide