That Nappy Soaker Stuff

Questions, comments, discussions and reviews on equipment, outdoor gear etc.

That Nappy Soaker Stuff

Postby CampGrrlz » Mon Mar 08, 2010 6:09 pm

Wow, Gypsy, what *great* stuff this is!

Checked with Wiki and it sounds innocuous enough - Sodium Percarbonate - it's the active ingredient in the branded Oxygen-bleaches - the 'oxygen' is because part of what it's made from is hydrogen peroxide.

Turns out that at Woolies in DBay (local shorthand for Deception Bay) it is less than $3 for a kilo with 346g/kg concentration. Nearby shelves were groaning with branded bleaches/soakers with a less concentration of around 200+g/kg and over $6 per kilo.

Even at that price, it is way less than that Biomagic stuff. Which after trying it here and there around the house, is next to useless. Don't trust the manufacturers to tell you the truth about their products. It may be the bees knees for using in portable toilets, I don't know. But this Sodium Percarbonate might be OK too. Be interesting to try it out.

We've found a use for it not mentioned on the package - it removes gunk from the back of the S-bend in the toilet bowl. All the toilet cleaner we've used has failed to shift it. Scrubbing has failed to shift it as has Bi-Carb and Vinegar. One capful of *this* stuff, left in for a few hours (and you can use the loo if you want in the meantime, just don't flush) shifts the gunk without scrubbing. The gunk just vanishes.

The package says you can use a capful in a wash with washing powder. Done that, not sure if the wash is any cleaner but it smells better. Have to do some more trials with that because it doesn't seem like a lot of material to make a difference.

Thank you Gypsy for the tip! :+

Elaine
Two old boilers are armchair Glampers ;-)
CampGrrlz
Camping Queens

Re: That Nappy Soaker Stuff

Postby Poodle Jewel » Mon Mar 08, 2010 6:57 pm

oohh have to try some especially for the toilet.for what ever reason i have always thought our loo doesn`t give a decent flush and though it has been flushed tends to smell,have tried leaving many things in it on last trip to loo before bed but "gunk" and smell is still there.
The Lord is my shepard,i shall not want......only sometimes.
Poodle Jewel
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby GypsyLady » Mon Mar 08, 2010 7:37 pm

The woolies brand comes in a 3 kg container for just under $8.00 which makes it even cheaper Elaine.

I am sure you will be happy with the performance in your porta loo as well. I have used a couple of the branded toilet products and never with any success so the generic brand nappy soaker is definitely the way to go for me.......for cost and performance.

And if anone has an old porta loo or one that is not quite the cleanest, you can use the nappy soaker to clean it.

I am currently soaking my white shorts in it after they got some blue staining on them from some blue plastic seats that I sat on over the weekend. There are any number of uses for the nappy soaker.

The worst day camping still beats the best day working
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby Dodgy_Dave » Wed Mar 10, 2010 9:52 pm

Gypsy got me onto that stuff too.. It works really well, It works better and is more enviro friendly than the regular $20 chemical addative, And at the fraction of the cost, Sorry for the pun, but It's good knowing I'm not thowing my money down the toilet. :booty

I put regular disinfectant in the top tank to keep odours down. A vigerous clean with hot water and diluted nappy soaker after emptying also helps. And a quick spray of olive oil keeps the seals from perishing.

Thanks again for the tips, :D
Dodgy_Dave
Camping Veteran

Postby Komodo » Thu Mar 11, 2010 10:22 am

works a treat for cleaning out your water jerrys that have been sitting sealed for ages in the shed too!

And beer glasses - if any one uses your beer glasses for anything other than beer and your having trouble with head retention issues - a quick clean with Sodium Percarbonate and a rinse in hot water gets them good as new!
A lot of home brewers use it for cleaning fermenters etc cause its heaps cheaper than the "real stuff"
A place I'd rather be...
Mitchel Road, Bomjinna. Central West Victoria (Jan '08)
Komodo
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby GypsyLady » Thu Mar 11, 2010 11:06 am

We should see how many different uses we can come up with for the nappy soaker.....
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby The Phantom » Wed Apr 07, 2010 8:53 pm

It is also good for removing fresh oil stains from concrete
The Phantom
The Phantom
Boy Scout

Postby GypsyLady » Wed Apr 07, 2010 9:05 pm

I discovered another tip for using it on the weekend.

I put some water and nappy soaker in the bowl last thing at night before I went to bed and left it till the next use....usually some hours away and then flushed as normal.

I found it refreshed the bowl and kept it sparkling clean. You can also do the same thing if there are any marks left in the bowl from solid waste.....much easier way of keeping it clean and fresh.
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Return to Gear Guide