45lt Lumina 3-way fridge at Aldi this week for $299

Questions, comments, discussions and reviews on equipment, outdoor gear etc.

45lt Lumina 3-way fridge at Aldi this week for $299

Postby Lin » Sun Mar 14, 2010 11:03 am

Just saw the catalogue. Any idea what the Lumina fridges are like? I don't think I have the money to spend right now. but maybe...

They also have some other camping gear, though pretty limited. I think I'll buy a couple of the inflatable mattresses with built in foot pump. I use a battery operated pump to inflate mine, but it's never powerful enough to do that last bit. Would be nice not to have to lug my footpump along.
Lin
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Re: 45lt Lumina 3-way fridge at Aldi this week for $299

Postby Dettie » Sun Mar 14, 2010 11:49 am

Hey Lin

I bought one of those last year and it's a great buy! I do find that it works best on gas or 240 volt rather than 12 volt. A trick to remember when using it on gas mode is to make sure the fridge is completely level to the ground otherwise the gas/heat can't get through to cool it down, but this applies to all fridges. Very big and the gas lasts for ages. I use one of the swap and go gas bottles. It doesn't reach freezing point but it sounds like you want it for fridge not a freezer. I've just bought a seperate small freezer for longer trips for freezing meat and then using the Aldi fridge for all fridge stuff. If you can squeeze it in, you won't look back. I could never go the ice and esky again! :)

Dettie
The Queen of Glamping... in my mind anyway!
Dettie
Blatant Padder

Postby Gab_n_Gee » Sun Mar 14, 2010 2:18 pm

I used my aldi frigge for ages, with no problems. As Dettie said, just keep it level when using gas, and well ventilated. I only ever ran mine on 12v during transit. From memory they arent thermostatically controlled when on 12v, so will just suck your battery if used solely on that. No problems on 240v tho. We were given a 40L engel as a wedding present, otherwise I would probably still have it.

Gareth
Gab_n_Gee
Boy Scout

Postby GypsyLady » Mon Mar 15, 2010 4:31 pm

Running on 12 volt on 3 way fridges is strictly maintenance only.
The worst day camping still beats the best day working
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby Young Camping Family » Tue Mar 16, 2010 1:59 pm

I plan on getting one - finally! Everything else we have bought from Aldi has been good, and it's a 45L rather than a 35L from Repco (which is also $299 on sale, but not at the minute).
Now I just have to wait until Thursday... :roll:
Young Camping Family
Camping Veteran

Postby Lin » Tue Mar 16, 2010 2:46 pm

Be aware that you usually have to be there at opening time to score one of their "big items". They are notorious for having very limited stock of their advertised specials.
Lin
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby GypsyLady » Tue Mar 16, 2010 3:15 pm

Yep Lin is definitely right on the money with that advice, be there when the shop opens.
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby cokebottle » Tue Mar 16, 2010 4:32 pm

It looks very similar to my Kmart unit & it works great! had it running on 240v over Christmas/New Year as a drinks fridge & it cooled things down nicely, yet to try it on gas, but I would say it would be just as good if not better.

Michael
cokebottle
Blatant Padder

Postby Young Camping Family » Sat Mar 20, 2010 12:50 pm

Guess who will be enjoying some nice cold bevvies over the Holidays... :) :cheers

Picked it up Friday night (as I needed hubby to carry it) and it was one of 4 in the store. They also had plenty of the Hot Water units and a couple of the generators.
The sales guy was saying they get a lot of people who buy a few of them then try and sell them on ebay (list them for 50 days) and if they don't sell they take them back within the 60 days and get a full refund. He even said if we weren't entirely happy with it over the holidays to take it back within 60 days for a no questions asked refund. Suppose you can't ask for more than that.
Now to set it up for a test run...
Young Camping Family
Camping Veteran

Postby GypsyLady » Sat Mar 20, 2010 3:22 pm

I have a friend who also bought one last thursday and he has been running it on 240 testing it out and is so far very happy with it.

He is going to try it on gas next and hopefully it will still perform well especially as I recommended he buy it.
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby Lin » Sat Mar 20, 2010 5:07 pm

Ooh, I'm jealous! Still agonising over whether to spend the money. And I decided that a 35lt would probably suit our needs better, so will go Repco if I get one.
Lin
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby GypsyLady » Sat Mar 20, 2010 5:44 pm

Aldi often have them on sale as well....so if you are not in a hurry Lin...hang about a bit and I am sure they'll be in store in the not too distant future.
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby Poodle Jewel » Sun Mar 21, 2010 8:38 pm

Would love one but i think my little car has enough to carry :(
The Lord is my shepard,i shall not want......only sometimes.
Poodle Jewel
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby GypsyLady » Mon Mar 22, 2010 8:12 am

Probably a very sensible decision PJ because in getting a 3 way to run on gas it also means and extra gas bottle as well and with limited space....it all gets too much.

I consider myself a very good packer but what you manage to get in your little car never ceases to amaze me.

GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby Lin » Mon Mar 22, 2010 10:04 am

"Would love one but i think my little car has enough to carry"

I am assuming that the 35lt wouldn't take up much more space than my current 40lt icebox? And my problem is that the icebox doesn't really have enough space for our stuff when it's filled with ice. And I end up having to take a coolbag for our veggies, etc.

I still have some space left for an extra gas bottle thanks to the roof racks. But then the car will be pretty much full to capacity again.
Lin
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Next

Return to Gear Guide