Kitchen gear storage

Questions, comments, discussions and reviews on equipment, outdoor gear etc.

Kitchen gear storage

Postby Dodgy_Dave » Thu Jul 15, 2010 1:57 pm

Hi guy's

I've been using a cheap plastic tub to hold my saucepan, cutlery, plates cups etc, It's held up for about a year now but it breaks easily. I was thinking of getting a galvanised tool box to store everything in but before I rush out and buy one, I just wanted to get some ideas on what you think is a better alternative.

Cheers,
Dave
Dodgy_Dave
Camping Veteran

Re: Kitchen gear storage

Postby cokebottle » Thu Jul 15, 2010 2:26 pm

Dodgy_Dave wrote:Hi guy's

I've been using a cheap plastic tub to hold my saucepan, cutlery, plates cups etc, It's held up for about a year now but it breaks easily. I was thinking of getting a galvanised tool box to store everything in but before I rush out and buy one, I just wanted to get some ideas on what you think is a better alternative.

Cheers,
Dave

I too use the plastic storage bins you get from the cheap shops etc & yes they do break easy :? I have been meaning to have a look at Bunnings for storage bins, one of the guys at work showed me some bins he bought from there which are made of heavy plastic & are supposdaly "indestructable" at $25-$30 for the 105lt bins from the cheap shop I think if I spent twice that much on a decent bin it would make more sense in the long run...

Michael
cokebottle
Blatant Padder

Postby xmasbaby67 » Thu Jul 15, 2010 4:36 pm

Dave we also use a big plastic storage container to keep our saucepans, frypan, mashmallow forks, bbq tools & butane stove and we have had it for years.

I think I got it from Target and paid a bit for it (rather than the el cheapos at discount stores) but it has gone through one tent and two CT's so far and it's all still in tact.

If staying for more than one night I also get it out of the CT and use it as a little table etc, so it's been smacked around but it's still OK.

The brand is Sterilite and I also have the big storage plastic drawers which are really good storage in the CT as they are easily accessed from inside the CT when we have the tailgate kitchen swung out and we use one as a pantry.

Here's the Sterilite products we have:
Drawers: http://www.sterilite.com/ProductCategory.html?ProductCategory=19&section=1
Tubs: http://www.sterilite.com/ProductCategory.html?ProductCategory=18&section=1

Hope this helps.
xmasbaby67
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby Poodle Jewel » Thu Jul 15, 2010 7:16 pm

The cheap ones do break but the last lot i bought from super cheap auto,thicker plastic and stronger..
The Lord is my shepard,i shall not want......only sometimes.
Poodle Jewel
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby Titch » Thu Jul 15, 2010 7:24 pm

Look underneath these plastic boxes for the UV stabilized marking.
Usually black is UV stable.
Titch
Marriage Equals a life Sentence
Titch
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby GypsyLady » Thu Jul 15, 2010 8:57 pm

I still have the same set of plastic boxes (60 litre) I bought from KMart 20 odd years ago for camping.

One of the things I especially looked for was boxes with straight sides which pack better than those with tapered sides.

With my current CT I do not require the same number of boxes as in the past (in built pantry and drawers) but do often use one of them for firewood which I carry in my vehicle.
The worst day camping still beats the best day working
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Return to Gear Guide