OzTrail Aluminium Jumbo Stretcher

Questions, comments, discussions and reviews on equipment, outdoor gear etc.

OzTrail Aluminium Jumbo Stretcher

Postby MacLister » Thu Oct 14, 2010 10:59 pm

Hi guys,

I can get one of these for $74, and wondering if anyone can tell me if they are any good? I'm 6feet tall, and weigh in at 115kgs. Wondering if I would be at all comfortable on this. It's an online sale, so can't really test it, and hoping people will rave or else tell me to steer well clear?
MacLister
Captain Camping

Re: OzTrail Aluminium Jumbo Stretcher

Postby stevo. » Fri Oct 15, 2010 6:58 am

Do they have them at BCF or somewhere like that? You could go in and test one at one of those places and then buy online if it's cheaper.
my dodgy blog www.shackers.net
stevo.
There is no conspiracy here....

Postby sienna » Fri Oct 15, 2010 9:39 am

I agree with Stevo (yes I just said that out loud!)
Getting a comfortable bed is one of the most important things when camping. The other is a comfy chair!
Definitely find a local camping shop and try a few out. You may find that a stretcher is not padded enough for your liking.
Generally speaking, find a local camping shop as they will be cheaper than bcf and anaconda (except when they have major sales- but it always pays to shop around).

Anyway, I thought you were getting a ct? Aren't you going to be sleeping on the main bed?

As for your two older kids, if they roll around a lot when they sleep, might be better off getting a couple blow up mattresses and putting them on the floor for them to sleep on rather than bunks at this time. My 4yo rolls around like nobody's business and there's no way he'd stay on a camp stretcher. He used to sleep on his little fold out kids sofa. Quite handy if you have one and you have the room to pack it.
sienna
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby MacLister » Fri Oct 15, 2010 12:18 pm

Thanks sienna.

I'll visit a shop tomorrow (After we go get our CT! :?# )

As for their use - yip, it was actually intended for my 5 year old, but I'm in two minds. We're taking our dog with on the first trip, as he is part of my family, and we're going to a pet friendly place. He's an indoor dog. He thinks he's human. Actually, he's more human and humane that a lot of humans I know, but that's another topic! :)

Now, although he is a dosile Golden Retriever, for some reason, at home, he's now allowed to sleep in the same room as my 5 year old. She seems to think he will scare her. So.... in the CT... I'd like him to sleep in the same 'room' as us, which means, my 5 year old will probably want to sleep on the bed, with my wife... and I may be assigned the stretcher, next to my 6 month old's travel cot, and my 2 year olds ... not sure. Maybe the 2 year old will get a smaller camper bed too, that 'sags, stopping her from rolling off.

OR ... the 2 year old and the 5 year old can share the built in bed... and my wife and Ican get stretchers... but they will probably kick each other black and blue. Not sure... It's all in the planning phase right now. :)
MacLister
Captain Camping

Postby xmasbaby67 » Fri Oct 15, 2010 1:03 pm

Have you thought about getting the kids some swags??????

Or you and your wife buy a double swag and then you can sleep in that while the kids are in your bed.

Falling from the main CT bed will do the kids more damage than falling from a stretcher!!!!! ::()
xmasbaby67
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Return to Gear Guide