Kathmandu Retreat 360 Tent - just too big?

Questions, comments, discussions and reviews on equipment, outdoor gear etc.

Kathmandu Retreat 360 Tent - just too big?

Postby Pete G » Sat Dec 04, 2010 5:54 pm

Hi All

I'm planning a 4 week trip with family of 5 up and down the east coast (Melb to Cairns). I like the look of the Kathmandu Retreat 360 tent, with masses of space for young boys. For details, see: http://www.kathmandu.com.au/Tents_&_She ... _Tent.html

My concern is that it could be just too big for a lot of holiday parks - tent dimensions are 7.5m x 7m (cross-shaped), and we'll have a normal size station wagon plus small trailer.

Any thoughts? Any experience with this tent? Any suggestions for other tents we should consider??

Much appreciated

pete
Pete G

Re: Kathmandu Retreat 360 Tent - just too big?

Postby Lin » Sun Dec 05, 2010 8:44 am

If you're going to a caravan park, you should be alright, I think. A friend of mine had a similar tent at a campground and was fine.

I have another friend who bought a Kathmandu brand hiking tent and it tore the second time he used it. But it might have just been that particular one that was bad quality.

There's a few brands that sell big tents with 3 rooms now, including Oztrail and Coleman. Especially Oztrail would be a cheaper option, and I believe it gets good reviews. Have a look at some online camping stores maybe?

Here's some links you could check: viewtopic.php?f=107&t=5285

And a post about the Coleman Montana: viewtopic.php?f=107&t=4964
Lin
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby sienna » Sun Dec 05, 2010 11:13 am

Hi,
I have an earlier version of this oztrail tent.
http://www.downundercamping.com.au/prod ... 860&page=1
It is a great tent. I've never had any real problems with it. Fairly easy to set up and the posts are colour coded. This new version has more windows and better ventilation than mine. In the oztrail, the end rooms are also bigger than a lot of other brands similar in shape. You get more head height and usable space. Go to a real store first and check out a few tents then go online.

Most caravan parks will have sites to accommodate this size tent. Make sure you let them know cos if you ask for an overnight tent site, they can often be too small. Though I can't imagine that you'd set up for one night only.
sienna
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby Pete G » Sun Dec 05, 2010 2:16 pm

Sienna, Lin

thanks for the tips and the websites. I don't have to make a decision immediately, so it's great to get experienced perspectives!

Sienna, have you had any experience with the OzTrail tent in extreme rain showers? We're going to be going up to Cape York, so expecting some doozies :shock:

pete
Pete G

Postby sienna » Mon Dec 06, 2010 11:07 am

Hmmm now you're testing my memory.
I would think that if you can afford to get a canvas tent, you will fair better and feel more safe in bad weather. I'm sure I've been in some storms in the oztrail but it's been awhile so I can't remember.
If the weather is that bad, no tent will be safe.

http://www.oztrail.com.au/WebPage.gtl?P ... roup=CABIN
I liked the look of this one but never got to see it in real life. I think it would be easy enough to put up, probably easier than the cabin style tents. But after having done research on canvas, I wouldn't buy anything made of ripstop canvas.

http://www.colemanaustralia.com.au/Gear ... -Tent.aspx
Coleman is another decent brand. Lots of people here recommend them.

It really will come down to what you can afford, how much you want to invest, what your specific needs are etc. So go visit heaps of camping places and don't be shy to ask.
sienna
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby xmasbaby67 » Mon Dec 06, 2010 2:35 pm

We had an Oztrail before our CT. And no its not ours in the ad!!!! :***

http://cars.ebay.com.au/Sportiva-OzTrail-Odyssey-3Room-DoubleGeodesic-Dome-Tent_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQitemZ220682002897

It didn't handle the big winds very well and taking it to the Cape would really give it a working out.

I tend to agree with Sienna and if the budget allows go for the canvas option. A family next to us last Xmas survived a big storm unscathed while the rest of the tents around them were flattened. Just a thought.
xmasbaby67
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby garbage » Mon Dec 06, 2010 10:10 pm

I'd second the canvas option too. Oztrail are actually quite reasonably priced, but still a thinner canvas than the more expensive canvas tents. However, unless you get the 'touring' tents, the traditional canvas tents do take considerably longer to set up and take down.

I've had a Coleman dome tent in the past which leaked during a heavy downpour.
garbage
Camping Veteran

Postby xmasbaby67 » Tue Dec 07, 2010 1:52 pm

Just noticed these guys have a big sale on at the moment on all their canvas tents. Might be worth a look this weekend.
http://www.kangarootentcity.com.au/welcome/page55.php#Oztrail_9x9
xmasbaby67
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby sienna » Thu Dec 16, 2010 9:18 pm

Just wondering how your research was going.
sienna
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby Pete G » Fri Dec 17, 2010 10:20 am

Thanks again for all the replies; I'm tending to shy away from the canvas tents since I've heard that they are more effort to maintain, as well as taking longer to put up and down. And, only a small fraction of our camping is likely to be in real monsoon weather :-)

My gut instinct is saying that the Kathmandu tent looks like a decent option; it seems at least as well built as the Coleman and Black Wolf, and the design would work well for our family. I'm still a little nervous that it will be too big for some camping sites - but I'll just have to plan well and call ahead to ensure that there is enough space in the places we are going to stay!

Have a wonderful christmas everyone, and I'll report back in a few months to let you know how I go...

::)
Pete G

Return to Gear Guide