ANOTHER newbie question

Questions, comments, discussions and reviews on equipment, outdoor gear etc.

Re: ANOTHER newbie question

Postby itchyvet » Sat Apr 30, 2011 5:37 pm

All caravan parks are required by law, to demand 15 amp cords and plugs.

For tent camping, I would strongly advise using same.(purchased at any Bunnings hardware store)
Point to note, at caravan parks with such power outlets, right next to your plug area where you plug in your power cord, you will find a CIRCUIT BREAKER, (fuse in old language) in early parks these were only fuses, but more modern parks they are also fitted with earth leakage detectors,(meant to save lives if short circuit occurs.
NOT ALL PARKS ARE FITTED WITH THESE DEVICES, thus I advocate purchasing one from Bunnings again,(No, I do NOT have shares with them, wish I did though :*** ) fit this between your extension and power consuming device.
I bought a POWER BOX,(Yep, from Bunnings) this has FOUR outlets, one earth leakage device, and one circuit breaker, thus safely protecting anything I plug into it. It's also rated as weather proof, NOT WATER PROOF, (there IS a difference.)
We use power for boiling water fast for a cuppa, and for the bread maker as well as the electric frying pan.
Give serious thought to using an electric frying pan, you'd be amazed at the uses you can use it for, from a humble barbacue during a fire ban, to cooking a roast with veges, or even you loaf of bread.
If intending to use electric fry pan, it helps touse a large sized wooden cutting board underneath, to save your work bench getting scorched and fry pan slipping all over the place.
As when powered up the give off a vibration and tend to move all over the place, maybe even tip your meal onto the ground and burn somebody.
But all in all, they are a God send for us at any rate.
itchyvet
Captain Camping

Re: ANOTHER newbie question

Postby GypsyLady » Sat Apr 30, 2011 6:08 pm

itchyvet wrote:A
If intending to use electric fry pan, it helps touse a large sized wooden cutting board underneath, to save your work bench getting scorched and fry pan slipping all over the place.
As when powered up the give off a vibration and tend to move all over the place, maybe even tip your meal onto the ground and burn somebody.

Are you talking about an electric frypan here itchyvet or the bread maker?? I have taken both camping over time and never had any issues with the frypan moving.....can't say the same for the bread maker though. Used to sit it on the floor.....could not fall any further that way.
The worst day camping still beats the best day working
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Previous

Return to Gear Guide