Tent floor failure

Questions, comments, discussions and reviews on equipment, outdoor gear etc.

Tent floor failure

Postby Ian C » Tue May 17, 2011 7:29 pm

We have a good quality canvas tent with PE (polytarp) floor. In less than three years it has delaminated and leaks with water welling up when you step on it on wet ground.

Has anyone else had a similar problem and know what the cause or remedy might be?
Ian C

Re: Tent floor failure

Postby GypsyLady » Tue May 17, 2011 8:01 pm

Yes I had the same thing happen to my canvas tent some years back....pre CT days. I used to use a tarp under the tent floor and I was advised that it had something to do with the water pooling on the tarp and under the floor and not be able to get away. It apparently breaks down the lamination process in the floor.

The remedy was...to replace the entire floor in the tent which I did. Never used another tarp under it and never had anymore issues with it.
The worst day camping still beats the best day working
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby Ian C » Wed May 18, 2011 10:07 pm

Very interesting!

This is indicating that PE floors (or tarps) won't withstand immersion for any significant period. The supplier claims that the fault is due to storing the tent damp (which is not true).

Has anyone else had a similar experience?

Here is a photo of the floor.

Ian C

Postby stevo. » Thu May 19, 2011 5:14 pm

That looks like one of the cheap tarps i bought from Supercheap for $2, leave it out in the weather for a couple years and that's what it looks like.

It may not be very good quality after all?
my dodgy blog www.shackers.net
stevo.
There is no conspiracy here....

Postby spinyeel » Thu May 19, 2011 9:13 pm

I cover the floor in one of my canvas tents with those click together foam tiles due to exactly the same problem. Heavy duty vinyl is really the only floor material to have in a tent imho. :)
spinyeel
Camping King

Return to Gear Guide