Engle Fridges

Questions, comments, discussions and reviews on equipment, outdoor gear etc.

Engle Fridges

Postby SillySandra » Wed Nov 29, 2006 1:12 pm

i would like to buy my husband an Engel frdige for Christmas. Any ideas where the best prices are available for this in Melbourne (ne suburbs)? Would appreciate any advice. Thanks.
SillySandra

Postby HGMonaro » Wed Nov 29, 2006 9:00 pm

sorry SillySandra, can't recommend anywhere but would like to say, what a wife!
HGMonaro
Blatant Padder

Postby Ozzycamperboy » Thu Nov 30, 2006 12:09 am

I don't think engel's will vary too much with price from store to store, but always ask for less than the ticket price. At the worst alot of stores have a little camping 'club' that you can sign up to for about %10 off. Just means they send you advertising material.
Life's too short to be grumpy, SMILE :mrgreen:
PM me for all your window cleaning, pressure cleaning, and commercial cleaning needs!!
Nathan's Window Cleaning
Ozzycamperboy
Site Admin

The Fridges

Postby SillySandra » Thu Nov 30, 2006 7:40 am

Thanks for your replies. I have spoken to one shop who now recommended the latest Wayco(sp?) instead of the Engel - too confusing. Has anyone got opinions on which is best - from service, reliability etc perspective. I think shops will recommend the one that they get the more $$ values out of at times.

Thanks for your replies.
SillySandra

Postby 4800Patrol » Thu Nov 30, 2006 7:52 am

SillySandra,

In my opinion, you can not go past the Autofridge.

I have a 70 litre model that has not let me down over the last 6 years. They also come in other sizes.

They do use a little less power over a 24 hour period than most of the other major brands. But they will only work on 12 volts without the aid of a transformer

More confussed?
4800Patrol
Boy Scout

Postby michaelc » Thu Nov 30, 2006 8:39 am

HI SillySandra,

I've just been thru the same exercise as you. I went to a store the other day to buy a Waeco CF-60 Adventure Package. I walked out with an Evakool 85 litre fridge freezer.

The Engels seemed like a good fridge, but were fairly pricey. When I compared the same size Engel & Evakool, there were hundreds of dollars in difference. And, from what I read and was told, the Evakool seemed to be a pretty good product (they are great eskies, so imagine one with a big fridge motor on the side).

The Waeco's seem to be good value for money, but when I looked into construction, insulation, temperature retainment, toughness etc, I steered away from them. I'm definitely not saying they are a bad fridge, but am just saying the Evakool seemed to suit me/my camping needs better.

In the end, you probably can't go wrong with the Engel, but "horses for courses" and $$$ might be the weighing factors.

Just make sure you know which accessories each one comes with i.e. if it is only a 12 volt fridge, you will need a transformer to cool it down at home on 240v before leaving. These can be $100 or more.
Regards

Michael
michaelc

Postby Kramer » Thu Nov 30, 2006 9:26 am

All I can say is I have seen bad and good Waeco's I have 2 freiends with 2 different size Waeco fridges and they both died while another on the same trip kept up without a worry, I have a Reefer brand fridge its huge and really awesome reliability, its been up to the cape and about everywhere else in QLD I can't find my exact fridge on their website http://www.reefer.com.au but mine is in a range not featured on the site (I can't remember what it is now) but I found out about them at the Brisbane camping and van expo over 4 years ago.

Engels are a very good fridge but for what you get for the $$$ I would go another brand as they all use the same compressor.
All Your Beers Are Belong To Us!
http://www.Tour-Oz.net
Kramer
Tree-climbing Mountain Goat

Postby Ozzycamperboy » Thu Nov 30, 2006 1:25 pm

michaelc wrote:Just make sure you know which accessories each one comes with i.e. if it is only a 12 volt fridge, you will need a transformer to cool it down at home on 240v before leaving. These can be $100 or more.
Regards

Michael

I dont think they are that much :? If they are i'd better stick my spare one up on ebay :armsup

And if it's a half decent fridge/freezer you should be able to do without the converter. Just stick it on in the car an hour before you go. I use mine almost everyday for work, I turn it on when I leave and by morning tea the drinks are chilled.
Life's too short to be grumpy, SMILE :mrgreen:
PM me for all your window cleaning, pressure cleaning, and commercial cleaning needs!!
Nathan's Window Cleaning
Ozzycamperboy
Site Admin

Postby 4800Patrol » Thu Nov 30, 2006 8:10 pm

Run them, "your fridges" on max when you are driving to your destination. I have found that this gives you cold beer when you arrive and will get you a couple of more days out of the battery - if you a camping for an extended period of time.

Aluminium cans, cool down quicker and when you crush them, they take up less garbage space.
4800Patrol
Boy Scout

Postby Komodo » Wed Jan 31, 2007 4:36 pm

Tooheys Extra Dry doesnt come in a can that I've seen :)

Did you end up getting an Engel?

And yeah they are around the $100 mark for the Waeco 240V - 12V converter
A place I'd rather be...
Mitchel Road, Bomjinna. Central West Victoria (Jan '08)
Komodo
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby double_d » Wed Jan 31, 2007 5:15 pm

i got a evakool fridge about an 80 litre
i think it is awsome
can have it as a fridge / freezer
or just fridge
i used it all last weekend had thermastat on half and it froze my coke into a slushy kept everything nice and cold
for the same price in engal i was looking at like a 40 litre or something
which was gonna be no good with 3 kids
glad i got a evakool
my first one was a zero 3 way didnt work the moment i turned it on
but my mate has had one for 5 years or so
like somone said before you can get good and bad in just about everything

daniel d
double_d
Captain Camping

Postby sharee » Thu Feb 22, 2007 11:03 am

Kramer wrote:Engels are a very good fridge but for what you get for the $$$ I would go another brand as they all use the same compressor.

i've been told that the engels compressor is very different to the waeco/chescold which use a danfoss compressor - i don't know if that is the gospel truth though.
apparently this difference in compressors mean that the engel draws 0.5-3.5 amp compared to 6.5 for the chescold 3way. does anyone know what the waeco pulls?

sharee
sharee

Return to Gear Guide