QLD - Bunya Mountains NP

QLD - Bunya Mountains NP

Postby Troyk » Wed Jul 04, 2007 7:30 pm

Hvaen't camped at the Bunya's for about 20 years. These days we find renting one of the holidays a good option.

Dandabah is open style camping area, well grassed and has toilet and showers. There is also a kiosk and cafe nearby.

EPA recommend not to pull a trailer / caravan etc up the hill. Hence why we rent out a house. Some of the houses can accomodate large groups and have things like pool tables, spa's etc.

It can be cool (even at Christmas time) so be prepared.

Everyone feel free to add.

Never argue with a fool! They drag you down to their level, and beat you with experience!

2007 Outlander, 2005 MODCON Redlander, 2003 DMH Overlander and four human Redlanders!
Troyk
Camping Forum trip organiser and all round nice guy

Postby travelrock » Thu Jul 05, 2007 1:12 pm

looks good
travelrock
Boy Scout

Postby s4j » Sat Jul 28, 2007 12:03 am

Great pics Troy...did a day trip at Easter...stayed at friends farm outside Dalby.....We wondered about the road signage too....but figured there must be another road in from the one we came in on....as there were Coaches at the Picnic grounds......Think CT's will be possible...Vanners may have problems on the road we took in..
s4j
Camping King

Postby Troyk » Sun Jul 29, 2007 10:13 pm

s4j, Actually last time I pulled a box trailer up the hill. Wasn't a problem as I took it carefully. You are right about the coaches. Its the same at O'Reillys, a long narrow winding road up and you get there, and there about 50 coaches in the car park (no joke thats how many their were there last time we went).
Never argue with a fool! They drag you down to their level, and beat you with experience!

2007 Outlander, 2005 MODCON Redlander, 2003 DMH Overlander and four human Redlanders!
Troyk
Camping Forum trip organiser and all round nice guy

Re: QLD - Bunya Mountains NP

Postby jessica1986 » Mon Aug 18, 2008 4:08 pm

"a bit cool" !? it can be FREEZING! but also a truly beautiful, amazing spot. easily rivals anywhere i have been on a 7 month trip around australia. really recommend camping here as the bird life around the camps is fantastic - not only in variety but in how close the birds will come. we got an extraordinary look at a red browed finch that seemed completely oblivious to our presence as it hopped around us.
jessica1986

Postby Cruzin » Mon Aug 18, 2008 10:29 pm

There are 3 ways into the Bunyas
Kingaroy / Dalby-Jondarryan / Maidenwell.

I've used all and the Maidenwell approach seemed to be the less "inclined"
Towed the trailer up there on many occaisions and the place/s to stay are in the BMT area "Bunya Mountain Titles"
Lots 38 to 68 with views forever.

The others have rainforrest views etc.

See the chalets here (scroll down the page)
http://www.bunyamountains.com/
Shane - KZN185; PolyAir Bags; Uniden UH050XR 5xWatt UHF; 65ltr Evacool & a DIY CT under construction
eBay Username Cruzin4WD
Cruzin
Camping Veteran

Postby eagles on the road » Tue Jan 19, 2010 1:27 pm

Need some advice - we are booked in at the campgrounds for Australia Day "weekend".

The EPA said that the 'not suitable for vans' is from Main Roads, but that there will be many Vans there.

I assume that when I drag my van up there I will cop some 'feedback', but was told be cautious as the road is narrow and watch for on-coming traffic - therefore should be good.

Is that really bad advice or am I OK?
eagles on the road

Postby GypsyLady » Tue Jan 19, 2010 4:24 pm

What size is your van and how heavy is it. The road is narrow, steep and windy.
The worst day camping still beats the best day working
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby eagles on the road » Tue Jan 19, 2010 5:12 pm

20 foot and 2.5kg towed by a turbo deisel 4WD
eagles on the road

Postby GypsyLady » Tue Jan 19, 2010 7:37 pm

OK weight should be ok but I am doubtful about the length eagles. 20 foot of van plus drawbar and vehicle adds up to maybe 13-14 metres overall...could be a bit tight & yes I would be concerned at the possibility of meeting someone coming the other way......not much room to pull over. You are also considering traveling at a very busy time of year too, so keep that in mind also.

You could try it but exercise considerable caution and if you are experienced at towing and driving you stand a better chance.

The worst day camping still beats the best day working
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby eagles on the road » Wed Feb 03, 2010 12:15 pm

Just thought I'd let you know that up through Maidenwell is the way to go.

It is steep and winding in parts - so easy does it is the way to get there and get back.

Took a trip on the other entry roads but don't think you would want to take a van up or down those.

Camping ground is great and was well worth the trip.
eagles on the road

Return to Queensland